PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    Options
    I have some cash squirreled in the agreed emergency wallet.

I also have a bit more elsewhere which I've not told the chaps about but in some event could steer them to. Thinking about that, it would make more sense to divide the cash caches a bit.

Again it's not that I don't trust them, just I don't think we share definitions of "emergency".

Anyway, a rousing game of hide & seek with cash prizes should ease their grief at my eventual parting. By which time I hope to have added a few sovs & krugs, but festina lente.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    One good thing (amongst many) of my "job" is that I have the perfect excuse to keep a cash stash on hand at all times; my market floats and my "re-investment cash" add up to enough to see us through a blip in the Usual Arrangements. It sometimes gets a little depleted, for example when there's a job-lot of something shiny/silky/glittery that I know my customers won't be able to resist - because I can't, either - but doesn't take long to build up again, and no-one would question my need to have a reasonably-substantial sum on hand at all times. And thanks to a few years on here, the entire family know about things like my "jumble sale/car boot purse" etc. but only one of them has a clue how much it all adds up to, or where the various bits are stashed, and that's the one the immediate burden* of day-to-day coping would fall on, should anything unexpected happen to me.

More importantly, perhaps, it wouldn't seem like much to a burglar. And perhaps it isn't, really, in the grand scheme of things; it's just a fall-back and there are many more important but intangible assets in this household.

* or opportunity...
    Angie - GC June 24: £341.07/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Shropshirelass
    Shropshirelass Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 30 December 2017 at 11:25AM
    Options
    I'm beginning to understand all the old stories of hidden gold. Dearest OH informed his son a while ago that I had an emergency cash stash. He (son) now addresses me with great awe and respect. I don't doubt that OH's ex, and consequently all the fandamily also know about it by now.

What none of them know about is the other plan..... and I am getting nervous about becoming a female Silas Marner/Scrooge character....
  • I was on Bury Market today.

Just outside the Fish Market is a Butchers stall which was selling undressed game birds, such as Grouse and Pheasant.

Two women paused to look at the birds, and one said to the other "That's disgusting."

I wonder how she imagines, Turkey finds its way onto the Christmas dinner plate?
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hiya hope you have and will continue to enjoy the hols and all have a happy and prosperous new year . Start of the holidays i got another water infection so now been referred to hospital for investigations .... because i work in care its frowned on to be off at xmas so just had 3 days off didnt ask for a sick note luckily i was able to work the rest ok ...but i have still triggered first stage sickness procedure because i have had a full 3 weeks off in a year 2 off that due to bereavement.....on a brighter note have got this weekend off and im fully stocked up you all take care
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just finished watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLXvmZiEGWo

Rather long at 2.5 hours, but I learnt some things I did not know. The religious stuff might put some of you off, but stay with it, as there isn't much.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D I've just acquired a random New Year's Eve gift - an unopened box containing two Little Nipper mousetraps. Dad ordered two of these off the net a few years ago, meaning to order two traps and instead ordering two packs of two traps, so these weren't used.

He thought I could charity-shop them, but I think they might have a problem with that, so I have decided to add them to the supplies at home. I don't have a mouse problem, but it'd be cheaper than paying for a pest control treatment if I did.

Based on what I hear thru my job and several convos with professional pest controllers, I would regard mice as DIY-able (at least initially) and rats as a professional job from the get-go.

How did the ratty odour problem resolve, jk0?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Husband and son were up in the loft last week fitting ceiling spotlights for me and say we have rats up there. I was wondering if those sonic pest transmitter box thingies would work on batteries? Because if they are mains only then I don't fancy trying to run a cable up there, would mean leaving the hatch open a wee bit and the draught and spiders would be horrendous. Plus a rat might fancy a bite at the cable and burn the house down lol. Although with storm Dylan raging outside now, the wind might blow it down first!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

How did the ratty odour problem resolve, jk0?

Morning GQ.

I can still smell it a bit, but it's not too bad now.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    jko - did you get someone in to whip up the relevant bit of floor for you?

Concerned in case you left it there - as I've got visions of things like maggots and the like "keeping it company" by now..._pale_
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport