PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OH has gone down with the 'flu; he's a strong, fit & healthy 59 y.o. who's training to run the London Marathon in April, and it's poleaxed him. I don't think he's in any danger, but he will probably push himself too hard when he starts to feel better. Crossing my fingers that the nasty 3-day burning, tickly cough I had in mid-December is the same bug so I'm not going to go down with this as well...
    Angie - GC May 24 £311.12/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thriftwizard

Don't let him push himself as historically recovery was a dangerous time when people felt better and pushed themselves and then got much worse.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That’s exactly what I’m afraid of, Elona, and what I’m prepared to bet he will do...
    Angie - GC May 24 £311.12/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    People always underestimate flu, it's a really horrible bug and you need to take time in bed and then time to recuperate. Men are so difficult!!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've not had flu since I was about eight. I asked the GP if I could have acquired a natural immunity, but she said I've just been lucky...
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    An oldie, but goodie.......If you have a heavy cold and see a £20 note blowing around outside, you will find the strength to go and pick it up.
    If you have the flu - you won't be able to.......!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I see that flood barriers have gone up on parts of the sw coastline, big moon, high tide, strong winds. Worth keeping an eye on flood warnings. Its going to be an anxious couple of days for some
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was just looking up the strain of flu that I had in 1978, russian flu, strain H1N1. The one that is almost upon us is H32N

Tomorrow I am going to set out all my flu herbs and medications. I remember the time I had the flu, never had anything like it before or since. Suddenly I could not put one foot in front of another and felt so cold and ill. So tomorrow I am going to make sure that electric heaters are handy as no way would I feel like carrying bags of wood pellets or even getting a heater out of storage

I already have flu card primers ready, in a drawer and tomorrow will lay everything out, clearly, easy to get at. I see that today hospitals have stopped all non urgent cases, they must be expecting a massive influx
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Storm Eleanor to hit us here at 2am and the Solway coast is prepping for huge tides and flooding.
    I've had every damn bloody flu going, had it bad in 68, then again bad in 73, then a few times through the 80s and 90s. I must be a walking virus bank :D
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    I have flu at the moment, since Saturday. I wouldn't even go out for £50.

DH is discovering cooking skills he hasn't used for 20 years, unfortunately I have no appetite (perhaps fortunately)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure