PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Shropshirelass
    Options
    Just heard our council tax is going up by 5.99% They have promised next year it will be only 3.99%, as it was last year. That will be more than 14% in 3 years.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    People really need to get organised and tell this govt where they get off. They're getting away with murder and that only makes them worse!!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2018 at 2:58PM
    Options
    I've had upper respiratory issues since Christmas day and now struggling with sinus headaches. I am trying so hard to not let this turn bacterial but I fear I can't fight it myself. At least, hammering hard on wood, it hasn't gone anywhere near the lungs or bronchial tubes this time.

Elona DH told me to put sliced potato in my socks for bed. I like your idea better!

If its any consolation my brother-in-law is super fit and his upper respiratory infection has floored him for 3 weeks. The bugs this year are effecting so many it seems.

I'm out of eucalyptus oil now and burning olbas. That's probably not very wise but in desperation. Oh, and elona, remember I had a chuckle a wee while back when you got essential oil in your eye? Er, I dabbed my pillow, rolled over and spent an unspecified amount of time with my eye lay in it. I awoke with my poor eye stinging. Serves me right!

Oh and jko I'm avoiding the bus because I swear that is how I'm picking up so many infections of late. They are red hot, full of condensation and littered with tune of cough, sneeze and splutter! Both DD and I have been I'll... It's DD and I who sometimes use the bus.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 January 2018 at 6:28PM
    Options
    heck the page is very wide, can`t see the thanks button

fuddle, garlic bashed and put on soles of feet also works. A very old remedy. Yes potato is an old remedy.

https://flusurvey.org.uk/

Personally I am staying away from groups of people
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie Blimey, so it is! It was fine until I wanted to post.

thriftwizard Thank you for the pic of the bantams. Someone near us seems to have acquired some chickens, as we keep hearing a cockerel crowing in the morning. It seems such an unexpected sound in suburbia, Shades of Tom and Barbara Good!
  • mardatha
    Options
    We hit Asda and Costco first thing this morning - and the shop was very empty but a man passed by and sneezed right beside us. No hand up no apology just sneezed and walked on. And looked me right in the eye as I glared at him.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    heck the page is very wide, can`t see the thanks button

fuddle, garlic bashed and put on soles of feet also works. A very old remedy. Yes potato is an old remedy.

Oh dear. That's me going to go eat humble pie. I laughed at him. Doh! l'll never live it down, what with being an old wives tale and all.:o:eek:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    People really need to get organised and tell this govt where they get off. They're getting away with murder and that only makes them worse!!

I think your gripe should probably be with the Councils, because it's them, not the Government, who have decided how much to raise CT.

Also, something has to rise, in order to pay increased wages.

It's just a question of which prices/tax/duty to raise.
  • Perplexed_Pineapple
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I think your gripe should probably be with the Councils, because it's them, not the Government, who have decided how much to raise CT.

Also, something has to rise, in order to pay increased wages.

It's just a question of which prices/tax/duty to raise.

I'm sure that's a big part of the reason, BB. The national minimum wage in 2015 was £6.70 I think. It will be £7.83 this year. That's a 16% increase and I should think councils have a lot of low wage employees. GQ will know I expect. I'm not keen on higher bills but I do think wages need to go up for the lowest paid, so if that's where the money is going fair enough.
  • mardatha
    Options
    Well Bob the govt cut the money they give to the councils and then sit back and watch the councils get the blame. Divide and conquer lol. But I'm not getting into politics on here it just makes me ratty. The number one prep in life has to be against our own govt, that is very true.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure