PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• ancientofdays
    Options
    Hope all preppers have been having a lovely festive time!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    o6magy.jpg

That's cats for ya:rotfl:. The Internet is full of photos of cats sleeping in all sorts of odd positions and places.

At least she's not sitting upright giving you a Death Stare again...
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Essential item to add to the list for your emergency bag - one cat, any colour.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was just thinking that yesterday...

Bob has an emergency requiring his BOB, which he quickly grabs. Gets to safety and looks for his sleeping bag, but all he can find is Buggalugs, who has turfed out all the other items. :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    I was just thinking that yesterday...

Bob has an emergency requiring his BOB, which he quickly grabs. Gets to safety and looks for his sleeping bag, but all he can find is Buggalugs, who has turfed out all the other items. :)
    :p Ahh, but think of all the uses which a cat can be put to:

1. As a furry hot bottle to keep you warm.
    2. As an offensive weapon (throw a cat at an enemy, watch it land with claws and fangs extended - oww!).
    3. To prevent vermin infesting your BOB
    4. Emergency food supply (best casserole'd).
    5. Davy Crockett-style head-gear (apres luncheon, of course).

A cat is a veritable BOB all on its ownsome. You can also use them to detect the most comfortable spot in any shelter - your cat will be sleeping in it. Said by a wumman who has just lost her place on the best armchair to the Queen of Sheba.

Her sister, Wild Thing ( I swear someone dropped her on her head as a kitten, she's very 'blonde') is also hogging my bed.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Also a comforting presence and defence against horror
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like the "uses of a cat" :)

Sitting here having done a prepping purchase at Wilko: compost, seed compost, paper boxes that can be storage on my desk instead of the open dust-collectors I currently have, some dulux paint at a *very* good price, and some plastic storage boxes for food storage and general prep storage.

Long live prepstering.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I know I've got the most ornamental useless filmstarry cat on the face of the planet .. but I think pets are essential for hard times. Dogs are guards, they bark when undesirables are sneaking around the old homestead in the hours of darkness, and they scare them off in the daylight. Cats are brilliant for keeping down pests.
    Before Beeglie we had a real cat - a huge stray ginger tom that I fed out the back. He was cuddly and purry - but when we had rats under the chicken house he cleared them within a fortnight.
    But I would never, ever dream of presenting Beeglie with a rodent. My god!! it would ruin her hair and she would have to put her straighteners in for a week :D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 December 2017 at 3:02PM
    Options
    :) Slight degree of domestic anxiety atm, we appear to have lost Wild Thing.

The Queen of Sheba is sensibly hogging the best armchair (again!) and Wild Thing was last seen in a bedroom but has disappeared somewhere. We hope she isn't Out as it's a truly vile day with various calibers of frozen rain coming down constantly. I expect if she's gone too long, we'll have to open a can of tuna; that'll bring her running.

Memo to others; do not get a cat which appears to be a mongrel Maine Coon. Unless you have a farm; they look cute but don't really do indoors.

ETA; Wild Thing was found outside in the horizonal barrell which Dad set up as a cat shelter. She is now indoors and being made much of - the daft besom. Hope she stays in for a few hours this time!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    We had feline 3 sisters like that; happiest up a tree, whatever the weather. Little Tabitha (tiny, torty, fluffy, cute & completely deadly) lived outside on the garage roof for nearly all of the spring, summer & autumn; in foul weather she'd retreat to a spot under the ivy on the wall at the back of the garden. She would generally condescend to come indoors for the worst parts of winter, but ruled the other cats of The Street (including the ferals) with a paw of iron. She passed away a couple of months ago, aged 20, so it didn't do her much harm!

We were told when we adopted them that they were part Norwegian Forest, a breed of cat that's generally happiest outdoors & up something - tree, shed, garage, lamppost - even in the rain. We'd never heard of them before, but after a few years had to concur; they weren't unhappy indoors, just happier still outside, and totally unphased by British weather.
    Angie - GC June 24: £341.07/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport