Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Options

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I still have sky for my tv but left them recently for shell for phone line and broadband, they wouldn’t match the shell desk to keep me, they wouldn’t even drop to £15 to keep me and save me the bother of moving.

I detest their haggle system! They should fix their best price & give it to us all.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Price for all would not ever be the cheapest more like the dearest .
  • leonardo
    leonardo Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I still have sky for my tv but left them recently for shell for phone line and broadband, they wouldn’t match the shell desk to keep me, they wouldn’t even drop to £15 to keep me and save me the bother of moving.

I detest their haggle system! They should fix their best price & give it to us all.

What was the deal you got from shell?

Did u get some sorf of customised deal?
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Options
    leonardo wrote: »
    What was the deal you got from shell?

Did u get some sorf of customised deal?

It’s just line rental & BB, I think it’s £11.66
    It was in a recent newsletter from MSE.
  • stuartmck
    stuartmck Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Currently on chat with Sky.
    My current deal ends nexts month (£33.60 a month for Entertainment, HD, line rental & fibre bb)

Best offer so far is £38pm for the same, except with faster broadband.

Going to go through to cancel I think & see what I can get if I add movies & box sets. Would also look at Q for the right price.
    In need of a new signature! :rotfl:
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stuartmck wrote: »
    Currently on chat with Sky.
    My current deal ends nexts month (£33.60 a month for Entertainment, HD, line rental & fibre bb)

Best offer so far is £38pm for the same, except with faster broadband.

Going to go through to cancel I think & see what I can get if I add movies & box sets. Would also look at Q for the right price.

If/when you cancel it all you do know that you can not look for any broadband/fibre with a new company as Sky will put a cease on the line and after 14 days the line and phone number will be no more. After the line has finished then you may have to pay a connection fee to your new supplier.

There was a post on this thread i think about somebody put in cancel request and later went to Sky web page and reconnected for the same package as before but for a lower deal than what they were on before cancel but i am not sure if that is true.
  • Boohoo
    Options
    Boohoo wrote: »
    If/when you cancel it all you do know that you can not look for any broadband/fibre with a new company as Sky will put a cease on the line and after 14 days the line and phone number will be no more. After the line has finished then you may have to pay a connection fee to your new supplier.

There was a post on this thread i think about somebody put in cancel request and later went to Sky web page and reconnected for the same package as before but for a lower deal than what they were on before cancel but i am not sure if that is true.

It was not on this MSE but on another forum that i seen it.
    https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2141149/sky-not-doing-deals-anymore/p122

Post No. 3035 if you want a look.
  • wapow
    wapow Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    They wont put a cease. Another company should take over the phone line and thats how it gets cancelled. Now, if you dont have another company lined up to take over then yeas, a cease will go through, unless you tell sky to extend the cease which they should be able to do but its prob only about 28 days tops.
  • Detail_Merchant
    Options
    I was on an 18month deal with the old Box Sets package (incl HD) + Cinema for £41pm
    It ended late last month, and was due to go up to £50.50pm (apparently a £10 discount off the full price of £60.50)
    Seeing as the new Entertainment pack is just £27pm and I don't watch boxsets much I phoned Sky to see what deal I could get.
    I was offered £38pm for Ent + HD + Cinema (18m contract) or £27 for Ent + HD (18m contract) or £32 for Ent + HD (rolling contract)
    None of these seemed that great to me so I left things as is, to look at alternatives.
    So I bought a Roku stick, so that Now TV was an option, and I might also use it for Netflix, Amazon Video, etc. at some points.
    Now TV doesn't have all the channels I might want, but most of them.
    £8/month Ent pass + £12/month Cinema pass, with some good initial deals for a new customer, e.g. £57 for Ent+Cinema for 6months.
    So I went online to Sky, to try again to see if they could improve their offer.
    The discussion went on a long time, slow replies, irrelevant questions.
    In the end they could offer Ent £20 + HD £1 + Cinema £11, so £32pm total (+£10 one-off 'admin' fee).
    I decided it still wasn't good enough, so asked for them to start the account closing process.
    They explained about 31 days notice (which I knew), and finally actioned it, after a ~2 hour online chat.
    Options I might have considered accepting were Sky+HD(existing box): Ent+HD+BoxSets+Cinema for £25pm (no admin or one-off cost)
    or SkyQ 2TB: Ent+HD+Cinema+UltOD for £35pm (don't need SkyQ exp) + £30 one-off cost (per Sky VIP)
    But Sky never offered anything close enough to these.
    So straight after the account closure was started I logged into my Sky account online, and then went to https://www.sky.com/mydeal
    It was immediately offering £15Ent + options of £1Boxsets + £1HD + £10cinema = £27pm (12month contract)
    I left it a day, was planning to leave it a couple of weeks to see if the offer got better, but I got impatient.
    I took £15ent(£12 discount) + £1Boxsets(£4 discount) + £1HD(£4 discount) = £17pm (£20 discount total) 12month contract, no 'admin' fee.
    The offer implied HD and Cinema could be turned on or off with 1 months notice.
    I didn't take Cinema, but now to turn it on without a contract it looks like £19pm, or £11pm on an 18month contract.
    So instead I've bought a 6month Now TV cinema pass for £43, should be getting £10cashback from Topcashback, so thats £5.50pm net.
  • Boohoo
    Options
    wapow wrote: »
    They wont put a cease. Another company should take over the phone line and thats how it gets cancelled. Now, if you dont have another company lined up to take over then yeas, a cease will go through, unless you tell sky to extend the cease which they should be able to do but its prob only about 28 days tops.

Well Sky must have change the rules for this then.

In March my cousin called to discuss a new deal after the deal ended and was quoted about £5 less than the full price so declined. He went through with the cancel request and the same day he joined NowTv fast fibre and calls.

After about 8 days after this he got a message from NowTv to contact them as there was an issue. Due to being away from home for a few days and all the details are at his house he then called NowTv and was told his transfer could not go ahead because Sky had put a stop/cease on the line.

He then called Sky and explained and was told as he wanted to cancel then no other company can take control of the line. He was also told that he had 14 days from when cancelled the line would cease. As he had 1 full day and 8/9 hours left he stopped the cancellation.

He waited 5 days to make sure it was still connected and then signed upto NowTv.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback