Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May 2017 at 2:27PM
    Options
    sionyboy wrote: »
    Phoned VM Customer Services yesterday to give notice, quoted the current BT £40.99. CS offered a small discount to my monthly package, but it was still more than BT so declined.

I'm hoping that VM Retentions call back in a day or two to negotiate (that tends to be my experience) although I've already had a couple of emails from VM confirming my new monthly package amount (phone only until its disconnected) and a disconnection/goodbye email. Is this just them playing hard ball, or should I sign up to BT now and forget about a call from retentions?

I never had call from VM last year, it only 4 hours left I had to phone them, I had nothing lined up.

Now I'm paying £32 for 70Mb and Telephone Weekend :(

Knowing my luck they probably tried to ring the house number which does not exist.

Last year I said what my mate was paying something like £22 and they said they wouldn't go low! I'm tempted to phone again and if play hardball saying they won't then show them this thread that they can.
  • sionyboy
    sionyboy Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Follow up from my earlier post: VM phoned today to ask why I'm leaving, told them it was cost etc... Long story short, keeping the same package I've got now, with broadband being upped from 70mb to 100mb, for £42.50 a month (100mb Broadband, Evening/Weekend Calls, Mix TV, 1 x TIVO Box and 1 x SD Box upstairs).

Probably could've haggled a bit more out of them as previously I got BT sport thrown in, but annoyingly they phoned as I quite literally was unpacking my car from our holiday.

Still, £10 a month saved. Rather it in my hands than theirs.
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Options
    Going to be calling later and using the current BT offer to cancel.

Anyone know if there is still a BT charge to enable the phone line? I have a physical line to the property but it hasn't been connected to an ADSL service in about 5 years. I have no idea if BT charge a connection fee or is that included in the £59.99 setup fee they charge?

Just want to make sure my maths are correct before I do anything stupid.
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi bingo bango

The £59.99 includes line and infinity activation.
  • hunsbury0
    hunsbury0 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Going to be calling later and using the current BT offer to cancel.

Anyone know if there is still a BT charge to enable the phone line? I have a physical line to the property but it hasn't been connected to an ADSL service in about 5 years. I have no idea if BT charge a connection fee or is that included in the £59.99 setup fee they charge?

Just want to make sure my maths are correct before I do anything stupid.
    I think it is free at the moment. Go on to their "chat" option on their webside & get classification. But use tcb or quidco to join them for cashback as well as bt reward.
  • bingo_bango
    edited 19 May 2017 at 10:55AM
    Options
    Cheers all. Thought that was the case but just wanted to confirm.

Edit: Just to confirm that on checkout with BT, the basket shows Line Activation (normally £130) as included.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I wonder if anyone has done this?

> I have BB/Phone until October, I would request account change form
    > Change to my partners details
    > I assume VM would give new contract to sign for new 12 months?
    > Request cancellation within the 14 days?

Moving home so want to cancel basically
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure if the cooling off period applies to a name change. I imagine it would be a new minimum term rather than a new contract as everything else stays the same (equipment, account details etc) but if the cooling off does apply I assume that Virgin would just revert back to the terms that were in force before.

If this was to work, all anyone would ever do it make changes to their account and then cancel. Can't see Virgin allowing such a large loophole!
  • bingo_bango
    Options
    So I cancelled last week, and was offered a reduction in billing from £61pm to £38pm on inbound retentions after I pushed the BT offer which was coming in around £25pm (after quidco and reward card) and said that no, I would just cancel and come back in 12 mths as a new customer. That was Thursday.

Monday I got a call from outbound retentions and now have TV Mix with Vivid 100 and keep my second box for £26pm (line rental also included in that). Didn't think that was enough, so I pushed and got BT Sport free for the year as well.

Email came through confirming the changes and the full discounts are there. Well worth 10 minutes of my time.
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 May 2017 at 8:49PM
    Options
    So I cancelled last week, and was offered a reduction in billing from £61pm to £38pm on inbound retentions after I pushed the BT offer which was coming in around £25pm (after quidco and reward card) and said that no, I would just cancel and come back in 12 mths as a new customer. That was Thursday.

Monday I got a call from outbound retentions and now have TV Mix with Vivid 100 and keep my second box for £26pm (line rental also included in that). Didn't think that was enough, so I pushed and got BT Sport free for the year as well.

Email came through confirming the changes and the full discounts are there. Well worth 10 minutes of my time.
    Just been on with them myself.My free line rental ends july it'll jump to £50 then guy i spoke to gave me a load of crap about i won't get anything under £50 lmao glad iv'e seen your post i'll be looking for exactly that.He also told me no one in the house could sign up as a new customer till 4 months had gone past.
    Also he told me they won't give anyone free line rental but i don't believe that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback