Debt, debt go away (and don't come back another day)

Options

Comments

• Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Christmas is so expensive. It does take so much work. Hope your family do understand. Its supposed to be all about the love but somehow it just isn't!
    If i ever say anything to my mum about christmas being hard she always says that we are really lucky that our family is big
    and so many of us can get together. Well yea, and I do love it but find it very stressful. I do wish it was easier.
    Good luck with your budget, I think once people start having children its completely reasonable to just buy for kids, but I know everyone has a different Perspective on christmas, even just talking about it in work people have wildly different ideas of what's normal. Hope you can get to a good point on this. Wishing you well.

Ps hope you had a good time with your friends last night. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks PSL. Lovely time was had. Bit tired and jaded today.

Today was caravan D-Day....and the good news is, he didn't buy the one he saw a few days ago - it went for over £1k.....the bad news is, he did buy a caravan though, but for £550. Money we had saved to pay his van insurance, plus some cash he earned this week will cover it....but he'll have to do monthly insurance instead. I'm not hugely supportive of this move as I just want to get more in the EF and make us more stable and secure....but he's the one who has to spend 1/2 nights of the week in it over the coming winter and beyond...and our existing one is proper grim. This one is bigger, a bit less grim and has a shower. So hey ho. He's agreed that there's no more big spends now excluding Christmas....we're going to need to be really well behaved so he can pay his huge tax bill. He's got some stuff to ebay and am going to get him making these wooden things to sell. Should all help. Need more hours in the day!

I should be finding out about going back full-time this week - boss has said yes in principal - just a matter of deciding when it will happen. So more money will be coming in soon - even though DH will drop another day to do the childcare instead of me.

Back to work tomorrow - Boo! Have a management training course tomorrow all day - had to work on a speech tonight - looking forward to that (not!)
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wondered about the caravan and how much it eventually went for.

Christmas is lovely but such a pain. Now my kids are older they just want more and more expensive stuff. I set an amount and buy stuff I think they will like, clothes, games, chocolate. They ask for money but I refuse. Christmas is about opening presents not an envelope with money in it.

Have a good day at work. 2 weeks left of my hols, then I'm back at the chalk face (whiteboard lol)
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Hey Ramblehan,

Just lost a big post grrr! Just wanted to pop on and say I'm still reading all your posts just super hectic right now so haven't had much time to comment.

Your Christmas sounds like it's all planned for. I used to panic but on cc's and overdraft!! Not this year we won't let it break us!!! Are you on Facebook? There is a great group called Bargain buys for busy mums. Lots of members post bargains they see in shops and online. It's great for getting kids gifts.

Boooo to the caravan soend but at least that's DP happy with it for a while so no bigger spend needed on the fancier one. He'll be gutted he didn't wait it out for something nicer in the long run I bet. Saves you money though.

Heading to bed now. Hope you have a good week. Xx
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • System
    Options
    Enjoy those last 2 weeks - it's definitely flown by.

Caravab D-Day has now developed into caravan black Monday. DH picked up caravan, all fine, but had a tyre blow out on A303. Went and got a spare tyre, then his jack broke, so had to drive to get a new jack, came back and the caravan had been broken into and stripped - on the A303 in broad daylight - they ripped off everything they could, and used a crowbar to get into it. Poor DH - he's only just arrived home and angry doesn't really cover it. If anyone can alert the karma police so whoever did it, gets something "nice" given back to them in return I would be grateful. DH didn't call the police, and to be fair our insurance doesn't cover a caravan, not am I sure we'd claim even if it did.

Sigh. So now our "cheap caravan" that I didn't really want, is now going to cost a whole lot more to put it straight. Bloody unlucky. Feel for DH - he's feeling ghastly about it all.
  • System
    Options
    Thanks Hannah- we just cross-posted - thanks for dropping in! I'll definitely check out that facebook group. You'll see from my post the caravan saga continues. I'm feeling resigned - no sense getting angry or stressed, DH is doing that for us both.

Take it easy X Ramble
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    I am really sorry to read about your day. Really feel for you both. Its so hard when these things happen. I hope you can get through this together. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • System
    Options
    Thanks PSL. XX
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh that's terrible! People are just vile sometimes! Your poor DH.
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh no. So sorry to hear this
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income