Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Options

Comments

• nicholbb
    nicholbb Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My experience with them have been fairly smooth. The signup in Feb this year went along okay, there was a bit of a delay (couple of weeks) but nothing major from what I remember.
    There didn't seem to be a way to proportion my direct debit with them and as such I'm £50 in credit on one bill and £50 the other way on the other. As I get interest I've not bothered to rectify the situation and they've not chased me for it.

Their website did show that it was the budget end of the supply with it often failing to load pages or login on the first attempt. This has been much improved over the last few months and it's a lot more stable and offers some good features.

If another cheaper provider came along I'd switch but not desperate to do so at the moment. 8 out of 10.
  • Halle71
    Halle71 Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have been with Iresa since March but only looked at our online account recently as we are very economical with utilities and traditionally have low usage so nothing to be concerned about.

I was shocked to see that we are £300 in debit for electrictly.
    I knew there was a problem because I gave accurate usage estimates initially (probably actually overestimated) and our gas bill is £100 in credit which supports this.

Turns out it is my 'mistake' - I was asked for day and night readings and, because I literally didn't know what they were talking about (in 20 years of paying electricity bills I have only ever had one reading on my meter) I entered the same number for both so in their eyes ny usage is double what it should be I guess?

I have rasied a ticket and they keep asking for pictures of my meter which I have sent but three weeks later, still no real response.

Are these meters normal? Why isn't there an option with Iresa to enter details from a single reading meter? How did they get get two readings for my starting statement from British Gas? Am I going mad or am I really stupid?!
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Halle71 wrote: »

Are these meters normal? Why isn't there an option with Iresa to enter details from a single reading meter? How did they get get two readings for my starting statement from British Gas? Am I going mad or am I really stupid?!

Suppliers initially get the information from what you give them when you apply.
    But they also verify them with the meter reading agency.
    As you have a meter with 2 registries (E7 has day and low rates), at least based on the information Iresa received, that is why it is shown in your online account accordingly.

If the information suggested you had a single registry meter, then your online account would reflect that.

The information, including tariff details, would have been confirmed to you before Iresa started supplying you.
  • Halle71
    Options
    I have had a reply from them:

We are aware of this issue and working towards a resolution. It affects a number of british gas meters, yours inclusive. We are discussing with our agents on how to resolve this and similar situations, we will get back to you as soon as we have an update. In the meantime, I will advise that you cease submitting the meter readings until the problem is fixed.

In the meantime I guess I will just wait and hope they can reduce my £300 debit.
    As I have paid £50 a month for electrictly since March, and have effectively doubled up on meter readings, this is pretty spot on for a £0 balance if they can sort it out.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    m0bov wrote: »
    LOL, the EO contacted me to say how pleased they are that Iresa have resolved it with me. Thing is, they hav'nt!

Did the standard correspondence from the EO not continue...
    If you have not accepted this resolution and you would like us to continue with an investigation please contact us within 14 days of the date of this correspondence explaining why you are unhappy with the offer made.
    I'd be very surprised if it didn't. :cool:
  • pooch
    Options
    I have had a reply from them:

We are aware of this issue and working towards a resolution. It affects a number of british gas meters, yours inclusive. We are discussing with our agents on how to resolve this and similar situations, we will get back to you as soon as we have an update. In the meantime, I will advise that you cease submitting the meter readings until the problem is fixed.

In the meantime I guess I will just wait and hope they can reduce my £300 debit.
    As I have paid £50 a month for electrictly since March, and have effectively doubled up on meter readings, this is pretty spot on for a £0 balance if they can sort it out.

A British Gas meter?

Are you talking about smart meters? You couldn't have had them for 20 years...

What tariff are you on?

2 meter readings means E7. One is for day reading and the other is for a reduced off peak reading.

If you only have a single mete reading (whicch you submitted twice) it won't half the bill, sorry, as half willonly have been charged at the lower rate.

Not wishing to make matters even worse, but for the vast majority of supply regions, the unit charge for Iresa make for day rate on E7 is less than the unit rate for the equivilent single rate tariff.
    On the plus side, you may benefit from a slightly lower standing charge if they are charging you E7 when you have a single rate meter.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think their computer can count, £84.48 credit balance minus £36.29 bill leaves £48.20 :rotfl:
  • Halle71
    Options
    Sorry - I meant that I have been reading meters in general, for 20 years. Different houses. And never come accross a mulit rate meter.
    It is a British Gas smart meter.
    They also have two readings as my starting readings which I did not give them and have no idea where they got them from. Luckily I have photos of the meter readings from then.

As long as they get it down by a significant amount I will be happy.
  • pooch
    Options
    Sorry - I meant that I have been reading meters in general, for 20 years. Different houses. And never come accross a mulit rate meter.
    It is a British Gas smart meter.
    They also have two readings as my starting readings which I did not give them and have no idea where they got them from. Luckily I have photos of the meter readings from then.

As long as they get it down by a significant amount I will be happy.

Why did you not provide the new supplier, Iresa, with the start readings as they would have undoubtedly requested?

The meter readings would have been verified by the independent metering agency.
    Unless the meter readings are significantly different from those you claim they should have been, the only important thing is that the start reading used by Iresa is the same as the final meter reading used by your previous supplier.

If you moved into the property and Iresa were the existing supplier, the supplier would have used the outgoing meter readings as given by the previous account holder as the start readings in the absence of any information from you.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 October 2017 at 1:34PM
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I don't think their computer can count, £84.48 credit balance minus £36.29 bill leaves £48.20 :rotfl:
    Their computer definitely can't count.

On my transaction screen the balance is shown at one point as £39.28. A debit of £12 for electricity used comes next on their transaction list leaving the balance according to their computer as £26.28 :rotfl:

If you cross-check against the actual bill the electricity used should be billed for £13, so it is the £12 figure that is wrong on the transaction screen, and the balance is right.

But it doesn't give you confidence in their systems.

Meanwhile into the 11th week with no refund of my £150 credit.

EDF (who I switched to) have now provided a second bill so they have both managed to bill me for the first 5 weeks of my supply based on the opening meter reading and now for the next month.

However IRESA claim not to have the opening electricity meter reading and have given no indication that they will either look for it in one of their filing cabinets where I presume it is kept, or ever chase EDF for it if they have misfiled it in F for frosty rather than S for snowman :snow_laug
    I came, I saw, I melted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport