The end of procrastination and disorganisation.......

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I'm with Chrystal. Minimise your future outgoings.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You sound like you're going to have an efficient day. Bad weather does encourage indoor jobs :D

Don't know what to advise re the ppi. I'd be tempted to pay off debt if it was me, as it could take a while to recoup the costs of reduced heating bills. But it depends how much the windows bother you? I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you :)
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Windows gets my vote too, although whatever you do will take you forward :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I vote Windows we did our in May and defo recommend getting it done xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its going to be windows as its so cold in this house with single glazing. Decision definitely made. Thanks folks.

I have been thinking in the past few days about the year ahead. Early I know but that's just me. Anyway since being on MSE under this guise and my previous one I have has the same old plans....year after year. You know pay off debt, lose weight, sort the garden and get my house sorted. On an on, every year the same. Its getting so old and boring. So I have decided to ring the changes and find some new challenges which will help bring about the previous but be a little more interesting.

On area I struggle with is cooking. I hate cooking and I'm rubbish. I did a!ways used to cook from scratch though. Recently I've noticed its box after box in the freezer. Not good, not at all. So I'm going to work my way back through it all and start again. I'm aiming for as little prepared food as possible. I would go over to oldstyle but I always managed to get into a ruckus.:rotfl: There is someone there (a super popular oldstyler) who always seems to think its OK to start:mad: and I really can't be bothered, especially when I'm talking about my own job and they think they know better. So I will be giving that a miss but I will be looking around for inspiration.

I do need something else though. Something to make me sparkle again. Perhaps not just a generic to do list, but a list with dates I want things achieved particularly in the house. I think a lot of this will be involving me learning new skills which is OK but I will wait until after Christmas as I would like it neatish for then. I do have a couple of old gas fires which need disconnecting so once that's done I can rip of the gorgeous 60's/70's fireplaces. If they were sorted my sitting room would be done.:j I don't know, we'll see.

Anyway that's enough prattling on from me for now. Have a fab day x.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I'm sure you've made the right decision for you re the windows. I know what you mean about other boards, they can be less kind than DFW which is why I want to stay here :)

Your goals are big but you're right, a shake up in your thinking could help to get them achieved. Going back to scratch cooking will be healthier and should save money :).

When are you going to get the windows done now you've decided?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yay to new windows! I know you will love them - ours made such a difference.

I don't know if this is your 'thing' but a while ago I was into 'bullet journals' - there's a lot on the internet about them and for some people they are works of creativity but mine was more a notebook of lists which included a chart for each month where I could tick off things that I achieved (exercise, going to work, piano practice etc.) It was quite a motivator. Other pages were lists for various projects so I could keep all the information together and put the date as each was completed. It gave me a bit more 'oomph' for a while (Till someone tidied it away and I got out of step... maybe I'd better get it out again).

I can't really sympathise re cooking as it's something I really enjoy, but there's certainly satisfaction as well as money saving to be had from making things yourself. I don't do anything nearly as inventive as some people on this board but it's useful to have a few homemade soups in the freezer, or some flapjacks in a tin ready for when the offspring come raiding. I would recommend the soups more than the flapjacks, though, or I will sabotage your weight loss goal. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    when i get stressed, i make soup as it gives me a warm glow to see homemade stuff in the freezer and it also means i don't feel bad about dumping veg as it goes into the soup.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sure you've made the right decision for you re the windows. I know what you mean about other boards, they can be less kind than DFW which is why I want to stay here :)

Your goals are big but you're right, a shake up in your thinking could help to get them achieved. Going back to scratch cooking will be healthier and should save money :).

When are you going to get the windows done now you've decided?
    you're right, I do need to energise my thinking. I feel quite stuck in a rut at the moment.

The windows will be after christmas but I'm thinking I may get a better deal if I had them done in the colder weather. That said, I need to do some research as I don't have the faintest idea of cost and I'm also a window snob. I have a victorian terrace so don't want modern white upvc. I think a bit more saving may be needed.
    Yay to new windows! I know you will love them - ours made such a difference.

I don't know if this is your 'thing' but a while ago I was into 'bullet journals' - there's a lot on the internet about them and for some people they are works of creativity but mine was more a notebook of lists which included a chart for each month where I could tick off things that I achieved (exercise, going to work, piano practice etc.) It was quite a motivator. Other pages were lists for various projects so I could keep all the information together and put the date as each was completed. It gave me a bit more 'oomph' for a while (Till someone tidied it away and I got out of step... maybe I'd better get it out again).

I can't really sympathise re cooking as it's something I really enjoy, but there's certainly satisfaction as well as money saving to be had from making things yourself. I don't do anything nearly as inventive as some people on this board but it's useful to have a few homemade soups in the freezer, or some flapjacks in a tin ready for when the offspring come raiding. I would recommend the soups more than the flapjacks, though, or I will sabotage your weight loss goal. :)

I've seen bullet journals cherry but they did seem complicated and I struggle to keep up with this diary. Perhaps I will take another look.

I do have fads on making soup, depending on my mood. Kind of a throw it in and see what comes out thing. The last lot were dosgy though, I could almost slice them. Not very soup like.f
    when i get stressed, i make soup as it gives me a warm glow to see homemade stuff in the freezer and it also means i don't feel bad about dumping veg as it goes into the soup.

When I get stressed I eat biscuits. Perhaps that's why I'm fat.;) I don't but them now.

I do have some old soups in the freezer. I must have. Look and see if they are ok. I could always water them down.:rotfl:

I've been planning on completing my Christmas shopping today but I'm just not in the mood. I have a few bits to pop out for but the rest of the day will be sewing and decluttering. I have a few large sewing jobs coming up so need to sort that room really. I can get on top of the washing too.

I also want to plan out my time for the rest of my days off this year. I can't just keep drifting along and not getting anywhere. I will also take a mooch in the cellar and see what I have to use to freshen things up a bit. I also need to figure out when to book the rug doctor to clean the carpets before christmas.

Nothing too exciting but it will keep me entertained.

Have a fab day all.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I do have fads on making soup, depending on my mood. Kind of a throw it in and see what comes out thing. The last lot were dosgy though, I could almost slice them.

I do mine like that on purpose! :D

Bullet journals - make it as simple or complicated as you want. Mine isn't artistic and I don't go in for symbols. More a tick list with little arrows for all the stuff that gets carried forward!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport