Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged) - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
261 replies 26.1K views

Replies

• twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    milk chocolate icing from the bero book

60g 21/2oz marg
    1tbsp cocoa
    250g 9oz icing sugar
    3 tbsps hot milk
    1 tsp vanilla essence

melt marg, blending in cocoa then stir in icing sugar, milk and essence
    beat till smooth and thick
    it is a nice icing, 1tbsp = 1 x 15ml spoon
  • I always like to use a ganache - equal quantities of chocolate and double cream, plus icing sugar to taste. It sets quite quickly, so needs to be put on the cake asap.
  • chocolate fudge icing

7 ozs icing sugar, 1 oz cocoa powder, 3ozs butter.

Melt the butter in a pan, add the icing sugar and cocoa powder beat well, then leave to thicken for a while, spread on the top of a cake and use a fork to rough it up.................

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One here :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • ariba10ariba10 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have put on 7lbs just reading these.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • clareskiclareski Forumite
    859 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I am very proud of the chocolate cake I have just made - sad I know. On previous occasions I have tried to make butter icing but have not got a clue with the proportions of butter to icing sugar, and I end up ruining the cake.

I saw a receipe using double cream and chocolate melted together, but surely this will go off quickly?

Any recommendations for me? It is just one layer of cake as I split the mixture between a fruit cake and a pineapple sponge (smiles smugly then remembers she cannot make icing!)

Thanks
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used a chocolate and cream icing for my Christmas cake and it kept for a good 2 weeks ;) Although I wouldn't have thought you'd need to worry about chocolate cake keeping well - don't you just scoff it down :D ?

For buttercream, I use 2 oz butter, 5 oz icing sugar and 1 oz cocoa.

My mum used to pour plain melted choc over cakes. This was lovely but on a big cake it always cracks into shards when you cut. Although if you used a hot knife you might get away with it.
  • comping_catcomping_cat Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a lovely fudge icing -

1oz butter
    1 tbsp milk
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tsp golden syrup
    3oz icing sugar
    1oz cocoa powder.

Melt all aingredients together except the icing sugar and cocoa powder. When melted, mix in and pour over the cake.
    859 posts
    ✭✭✭
    catowen wrote:
    This is a lovely fudge icing -

1oz butter
    1 tbsp milk
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tsp golden syrup
    3oz icing sugar
    1oz cocoa powder.

Melt all aingredients together except the icing sugar and cocoa powder. When melted, mix in and pour over the cake.

God that sounds good.... I assume it is calorie free????
    859 posts
    ✭✭✭
    How easy was that!!

Made it and it is now on my cake, too much really for just one half of a sandwich cake so there was lots left on the spoon to lick :p

Thanks Catowen