Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged)

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,163
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I love this recipe. It's really rich and I've had loads of compliments over the years.

Weigh out 8oz sugar, 7oz SR flour, 1oz cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.

Rub in 4oz margarine.

Beat together 2 eggs, ¼ pint of milk and a teaspoon of vanilla essence.

Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well.

Pour into 2 7" greased sandwich tins and bake for about 30 mins at 180°C.

When cool, sandwich with butter icing and spread melted chocolate on the top.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Does anyone have a good chocolate cake recipe with reasonably basic ingredients. At the moment I make the Delia Smith All In One Sponge but it seems a bit dry at times. I make a chocolate fudge icing with evaporated milk which is quite nice but other ideas would be welcome. I would also like a good chicken casserole recipe with basic ingredients which is absolutely delicious. Well you cant blame me for trying can you?
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    My children love this one =

4oz softened butter,
    8 floz milk,
    2 large eggs,
    1 tbsp lemon juice,
    9oz cater sugar,
    2oz cocoa powder,
    8oz plain flour,
    1 tsp bicarb of soda.

I just mix all the ingredients together, then place in an 8inch tin (i use a high sided one, but you could pour into 2 shallow 8inch tins) and bake 180C - gas 4 for about 40 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. You would need less time if cooking in 2 tins.
    Then cover in your chocolate fudge icing (put some in the middle too if using the 2 tins!!!)
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058
    First Post
    Forumite
    My basic chocolate cake recipe is all in one made with:

3 Eggs
    6 oz Softened Butter
    6 oz Caster Sugar
    5 oz SR Flour
    1 oz Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp Baking Powder

I divide the mixture into two sanwich tins and cook at 180 degrees for approx 18 mins. Rest in tins for 5 mins and then turn out to cool.

Frosting:

2 oz Broken Chocolate
    2 oz Butter
    3 Tbsp Milk
    1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
    8 oz Icing Sugar

Put everything into a small pan and stir over a low heat until choc and butter has melted. Remove from heat and stir well. Beat it frequently as it cools; it will thicken as it cools. Use when desired consistency had been reached.

This cake is lovely when nuked in the microwave for half a minute and served with a dollop of ice cream.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • tesuhoha
    Forumite
    Thanks folks. Have most of those ingredients. Will try them all.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We have a few chocolate cake threads listed in the link:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=675236#post675236

And there are some others listed in our main Old Style Recipe Collection.

You can find this via my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

pagetop.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • tesuhoha
    Forumite
    That is so useful, ive put on onto my Favourites. im often stuck as to what to cook for a change but that wont happen now.

• Hi try putting chocolate spead in as filling if cooking in two tins. We use Tesco Value choc spread and the kids( and sadly mum's hips) love it.
    unneccesary spend challege £10 this week £4 petrol for day out
  • jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,092
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Before I moved house I printed off a recipe for chocolate cake that turned out sublime. I have lost the recipe in the move, and searched my hard drive and recipe threads and now can't find it.

It was the easiest cake I ever made, everything into processor in one go, then cook.

It was quite moist and very chocolately, I know that's not much to go on, but if anyone knows which recipe I mean, I'd love to have it again to make a birthday cake for my grandson.

Many thanks
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure