Chocolate cake tips and recipes please! (merged)

Comments

• MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    I would also recommend the Bero milk chocolate cake, I've made it lots of times and it's always gorgeous. If I can just get my bum off this seat I might make one today.
    good luck with the birthday cake I'm sure your sis will be thrilled.
  • telly-addict
    telly-addict Posts: 525 Forumite
    Chris25 wrote:
    Did you use baking powder? If so how old is it? It only has a 3 month shelf life.

This is the first I've heard of this! I do a lot of cake baking and am currently using baking powder which is about 1 year over the sell by date and it is still fine. You'd have to make a hell of a lot of cakes to use an entire container in 3 months! I'm sure that best before dates on things like baking powder are a fairly recent development.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MrsMW wrote:
    I would also recommend the Bero milk chocolate cake, I've made it lots of times and it's always gorgeous. If I can just get my bum off this seat I might make one today.
    good luck with the birthday cake I'm sure your sis will be thrilled.
    That's one of the things I like about the Be-ro Recipe Book, all the recipes are pretty much bullet proof.

I'm more than happy to recommend it to anyone.

For details on how to get your copy Look Here.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Recipe has been posted.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • summerday
    summerday Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Many thanks for all of your helpful replies. I have borrowed the Be Ro book off my mum and am going to try the milk chocolate cake. I shall buy some new baking powder in case that affected it, and also I have bought some digital scales in case my Tesco Value £1.99 ones were not accurate enough and had a negative effect.

Sarah
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I make a lot of cakes, small ones and victoria sponges and I find the eggs make a LOT of difference to how the cakes turn out. My mum's large eggs from her own hens make fantastic cakes in comparison to supermarket eggs. If you haven't got a nearby farm to get lovely big free range eggs from then buy large, free range ones from your supermarket.

(If I make a chocolate cake I use 6oz each of butter, castor sugar and 5 oz of self raising flour with 1oz of cocoa powder in.)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    hints for choc cake

1. dont eat it all at once, you'll feel sick :D

2. dont open the oven door whilst cooking - your cake wont rise properly and will come out like a biscuit. be patient, and wait

3. make sure your oven is level, otherwise your cake will slope to one side

finally, have you thought about making a marble cake? its quite simple, but looks dead impressive. the recipe here HERE is fairly self explaintory (you can do it in normal tins rather than shaped number ones if you wish) then decorate as you would your normal cake

my favourite is melted milk choc with white choc and choc orange shavings (take a grater to your bar of choc) around the edges. looks swanky, tastes fab :T
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A few hints for cake making:

Really cream and beat the butter and sugar as much as you can. This seems to make a difference.

When you put the eggs in just whisk enough to mix them in. If you over beat your cake can rise too much and then suddenly sink!

Sieve the flour no matter how fine it is. This incorporates more air into the mixture making it lighter and easy to rise.

Fold the flour in slowly and carefully - dont beat it in.

Also, try McDougalls Supreme Sponge Flour. It makes your cakes taste gorgeous. I usually put half normal self raising flour and half sponge flour in my mixture. Yum!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    This is the first I've heard of this! I do a lot of cake baking and am currently using baking powder which is about 1 year over the sell by date and it is still fine. You'd have to make a hell of a lot of cakes to use an entire container in 3 months! I'm sure that best before dates on things like baking powder are a fairly recent development.

Yes, you could be right - everyone covers their backs these days. I suppose people did use to bake more often, in general, but you would have to make a lot of cakes to get through a tin :D
    I think we had this on a thread before but it could be before the software change.

Sarah - how did it turn out.:)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It might be out of date for baking but it's probably perfectly fine for using as a cleaning agent. Check out the "Zillions" sticky at the top of the board for inspiration.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport