BREXIT - Why?

Options

Comments

• Tammer
    Tammer Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,

As a Scot and someone who is undecided, I think there are some parallels with the Scottish independence referendum. For that vote, I think most people wanted to stay part of the UK but with some change to the relationship (my belief anyway) but that wasn't an option and we get stuck with an awkward referendum. Voting to stay means reform goes out the window. Voting out is baby and bathwater.
    Also, I think the out campaign for the Scottish ref picked up late voters as the remain campaign was extraordinarily negative.

For the eu vote, I am undecided, but im troubled by the net 250 million pounds a week we give the eu. Could we do more with that money?

T
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would have said the remain are the people who ar ranting!

May I point you towards post number one in this thread?
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • savings_my_hobby
    Options
    What sane person offers everyone a vote on doiing something, only to violently disagree!
    fj

When Cameron offered the referendum he promised fundamental reform, you cannot get fundamental reform without treaty change.

The reason he offered the thing in the first place was to appease his rebellious back benchers and to quash the threat of UKIP splitting the right wing vote.

Labour on the other hand would not even give us a referendum, they would only give us one when MORE powers were handed over.

Even the threat of BREXIT could not change our fortunes in the eurovision song contest:rotfl:

Political union with Europe is not desirable and I find it hard to see why businesses who do NOT trade with the EU should have to comply with 100% of EU regulations - fair enough for countries that do trade.
    Earn, Save and Achieve
  • savings_my_hobby
    Options
    Tammer wrote: »
    Hi,

As a Scot and someone who is undecided, I think there are some parallels with the Scottish independence referendum. For that vote, I think most people wanted to stay part of the UK but with some change to the relationship (my belief anyway) but that wasn't an option and we get stuck with an awkward referendum. Voting to stay means reform goes out the window. Voting out is baby and bathwater.

T

perhaps if Cameron came back with the fundamental reforms he promised then the vote would be more straight forward.
    Earn, Save and Achieve
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    Options
    the level of debate in the media is farcical, with blatant lies from extremely important positions. if we vote to leave the EU we will be safer and better off.
    voting to remain, as i suspect we will with Project Fear ramping up the volume, is scary, with integration set to accelerate, and huge problems to come.
    if we vote to leave i am really excited about our prospects. i hope enough people are confident enough..
    but we will see.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,701 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I find it hard to see why businesses who do NOT trade with the EU should have to comply with 100% of EU regulations - fair enough for countries that do trade.

Can you explain which regulations negatively affect business that trade outside EU? Things like giving staff paid holidays?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    planteria wrote: »
    the level of debate in the media is farcical, with blatant lies from extremely important positions. if we vote to leave the EU we will be safer and better off.
    voting to remain, as i suspect we will with Project Fear ramping up the volume, is scary, with integration set to accelerate, and huge problems to come.
    if we vote to leave i am really excited about our prospects. i hope enough people are confident enough..
    but we will see.

With regards to safer. Are you saying you know more than the guys who used to run MI5 & MI6?
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The only pertinent "Why?" that I can think of is why was this posted on the Savings & Investments board in the first place?
  • gagahouse
    gagahouse Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0

Brexit: Full Movie

A decent very pro-leave argument is made in this video - non hysterical and answers some people's questions here.

IMO, the vote is really about whether you believe Britain's future will be better by pooling its sovereignty or by retaining it

Probably biggest vote with far reaching ramifications that any of you will ever participate in - it deserves to be studied properly
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    I agree no-one knows the exact impact but common sense says that leaving will be hugely disruptive and costly to our economy as well as creating uncertainty which markets hate. We might not know the exact numbers but it has to be disruptive by its nature in the same way that company mergers and demergers are. Picking apart agreements made over 40 years and then reestablishing replacement agreements will not be quick, easy or cheap.

I am still undecided but I am not naive enough to know if I do vote out it will be plain sailing, of course there will be years of it being worse before (if it does) get better.

Its the will it be better in the end that I am going to make my decision on. I am not using my vote to vote what is best for me, I am voting for what I believe is going to best for my son (who is too young to have his won vote) in the future.

I just wish I knew the answer :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family