🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

BREXIT - Why?

Options

Comments

• chockydavid1983
    Options
    I think it offered a few minor new insights but nothing to persuade anyone on either side to change their mind I wouldn't think or help the undecideds. I agree the Strasbourg thing is ridiculous!
  • savings_my_hobby
    Options
    I did know about the strasbourg debacle, that kind of inefficency drives me mad.

The clarification between directive and regulation was helpful although in practical terms quite immaterial as we still have to do what they say. 59% of laws is a huge figure, even if some don't affect us it still clogs up are statues and occupies civil servants with pointless tasks.

Still voting leave, have been since I got into politics and learned about the EU.
    Earn, Save and Achieve
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it offered a few minor new insights but nothing to persuade anyone on either side to change their mind I wouldn't think or help the undecideds. I agree the Strasbourg thing is ridiculous!

With respect to the Strasburg thing, it is important because it is an excellent example of how daft it all is, and in this particular case, at least 27 out of 28 members states wants it stopped (and so do many French) but their is no viable mechanism for common sense to prevail.

If they cannot sort out a simply bit of stupidity like that what hope is their to do on anything really important?

With respect to the rest of the programme I though it demonstrated clearly how hopeless it all is and how out of touch they all are. It reminded me of Alice in Wonderland.

Jeff
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | Mortgage (Sep 22): £0
    Cashback sites: £900 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,693 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The clarification between directive and regulation was helpful although in practical terms quite immaterial as we still have to do what they say. 59% of laws is a huge figure, even if some don't affect us it still clogs up are statues and occupies civil servants with pointless tasks.
    How many bills in the Queen's Speech are from EU? Clue - it's a very round number. So suggestions that we have no control over our own laws aren't valid.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    If you want to get on the housing ladder you must vote leave, it was announced today that house prices will fall when we leave the EU.

Cheers fj

I don't believe that for one moment - if only it was that simple :)
  • aspiration_2
    aspiration_2 Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't believe that for one moment - if only it was that simple :)

I disagree with you. This is absolutely true. It is that simple. Simple logic. If an already crowded country allows 4 million immigrants (carrying trowels or dust pans) in, within a short space of time, then house prices will rocket. Unless there already a million houses or flats are empty.

This is why recent EU immigrants with vested interests are not allowed to vote in this.

With BREXIT we can go back to a standard, normal house price inflation of 15 years ago.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Mr_Costcutter Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    aspiration wrote: »
    I disagree with you. This is absolutely true. It is that simple. Simple logic. If an already crowded country allows 4 million immigrants (carrying trowels or dust pans) in, within a short space of time, then house prices will rocket. Unless there already a million houses or flats are empty.

This is why recent EU immigrants with vested interests are not allowed to vote in this.

With BREXIT we can go back to a standard, normal house price inflation of 15 years ago.

I disagree. In my opinion, house prices will not fall whether we leave the EU or not. There is a serious shortage of properties and until that problem is resolved, property prices are not likely to fall.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Mr_Costcutter Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    I think you might be living in a different UK and economic environment to me.

:)

Jeff

Same country as me <)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business