Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Timredd
    Options
    When I joined octopus using a referral, I just had the first name of the person I had the referral from. That's all I saw. I got my £50 after joining up.
  • AbiParker27
    Options
    Initially I did have a few hiccups with Octopus, but I have to say they have some of the best customer service I've ever experienced, and they rectified the situation quite quickly.
    Also - they do a lot of contact via email, which was great because it meant I could show everything that had been said between us!

And of course - they are all green energy!!
    Overall, would recommend Octopus (: plus, every time you update your meter reading you get a free spin to win some money off your next bill.
  • Umiamz
    Umiamz Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've found their email response poor, recently. It's taking up to a week to answer emails. Twitter gets you a much quicker response, though.
  • Umiamz
    Umiamz Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Also, I had smart meters (SMETS1 - SMETS2 not yet working in my area) fitted over 4 weeks ago. Electricity meter appeared in my account after a couple of days and I was quickly switched to the Agile tariff.
    However, the gas meter still hasn't appeared in my account and it is still showing the old one. Octopus tell me it can take around 4 weeks but not sure if I'm being fobbed off or not! Anybody else had this?
  • tonycottee
    tonycottee Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 November 2019 at 12:17AM
    Options
    Been with Octopus for a couple of months and no issues. My smart meter from First Utility (now Shell) works again too! Not that I use it.
  • DanKy
    Options
    On 31st July, I submitted electricity meter readings, not noticing how high the difference was in comparison to the previous month. It transpires (after receiving my bill) that I had used 3 times as much electricity as my previous month's. My electricity bills went from £25-£30 per month to over £100.00!!! How is this even possible when nothing has changed, if anything I have reduced due to working more hours out of my home.

I immediately called Octopus Energy about my issue, they told me to carry out a test to isolate all power and see if my meter increases on its own. Well, it did, 3kwh over the space of 2 hours. This would equate to around £7.00 per day with no power being drawn through the meter. Evidence was sent through and they booked an engineer in to have a look. Well, a month later when the engineer was supposed to turn up, a day before they were scheduled, Octopus Energy said "the engineer was unable to stick with your appointment so can we book it in for another few weeks?" How is it possible that the engineer you booked in, manage to unbook themselves from an appointment. It is Octopus Energy's responsibility to manage this appointment successfully. So, engineer arrives, doesn't know what he's doing properly, has to resort to calling someone else and asking then what to do, goes away, I hear nothing from Octopus Energy. I had to chase them to find out what the outcome was. They said my meter was working fine based on the report from the engineer!! I'm sorry but judging by the incompetencies of the engineer, I very much doubt that 'his' findings were accurate, especially when it is clear that my meter reading is increasing at a significant rate with no power being on.

So...another engineer is booked in by Octopus Energy. Their 3rd party engineer company call me and I ask them will this test be the same as last time, they said 'yes it will'. I ask them, 'why on earth would you carry out the same test as last time?' Their response was that Octopus Energy instructed them to do this test. Engineer comes out 2 weeks later, does the same test and guess what? Nearly 2 weeks later I STILL have not received any response from Octopus Energy on this 'test' but I have received an email from them about them wanting to increase my direct debit to ensure that I'm up to date regarding payments for my increase of energy!!!!!

Are you having a giraffe??? My bills are high because there is a problem with my meter that YOU are supposed to be fixing Octopus Energy!!!!

This has been taken to the Energy Ombudsman as an official complaint.
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Octopus are strange, they push email as their preferred contact method but are tediously slow at answering. Call them up and you might have to wait a couple of minutes but you will get through to someone and they are always helpful.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have just switched away from Octopus because of cost.

But in terms of managing the account they have been excellent.

The switch to them was effortless, and I like the way they keep you in touch with the switch process in particular what is happening with opening meter readings and verification of those readings.

And billing has been a straightforward process of providing monthly readings and then those being incorporated into the bill.

But the most impressive thing is having switched away on 14th October, I have already got my credit balance refunded, and if there hadn't been a slight delay due to Eon being slightly slow to pass on my electricity reading, it might have been even quicker.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These guys have taken over coop-energy. Perhaps a bit concerning for coop-energy customers as they going from a known British brand to a unknown.
  • aussie_in_wales
    Options
    I've been with them for almost a year after switching to them for a better rate. Everything has gone smoothly. I have been asked to send a photo of my meter as my useage is quite low, but it's the same as it was with my previous supplier who fitted a new electric meter as they thought it wasn't working. Besides that I have had little reason to contact them.

I guess the test will come when I look to switch as a slightly better offer is now available.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback