Waitrose staff are rude and horrible.

Options
I live in Torquay, and my local supermarket used to be a Somerfield, but when they closed down, unfortunately the supermarket became a Waitrose. I've had all sorts of rudeness from the staff at this Waitrose, I've even seen them reduce an old woman to tears. This is the latest happening though, and the first time a customer has been rude to me. I was in the queue with my shopping. The woman in front of me was some stuck-up snob who obviously thought she was some kind of aristocrat. She was buying a load of arty-farty food like artisan cheeses and crap like that. I was wearing tracksuit bottoms and an old jumper. As the woman packed her shopping, she looked me up and down, made a disgusted face, and sneered to the middle-aged female cashier, "Not your average Waitrose customer." The cashier looked me up and down, laughed, and agreed with the customer. I felt really embarrassed. There's no point even complaining to Waitrose because I complained when they made the old woman cry and they didn't even bother responding.
On another occasion, a male cashier really hurt my arm. I was at the till, he was about to scan my items, and instead of asking if I'd like him to pack my shopping, he just grabbed my bag, which was wrapped around my arm, and yanked it away from me really hard. He nearly ripped my arm out of its socket, it hurt for days afterwards.
The time they made the old woman cry, this is what happened. It was a Sunday morning, before the shop opened. I was waiting outside in the street for it to open. An old woman started walking across the car park. Suddenly three waitrose employees rushed over and started screaming at her to go away because the shop wasn't open yet. She tried to explain that she didn't want to go to the shop and was just taking a shortcut to get somewhere else. They wouldn't listen and screamed at her until she cried. she was obviously terrified being surrounded by these bullies yelling at her. I had to intervene and tell them to listen to her, that she wasn't waiting for the shop and just wanted to get past. I've no idea what their problem even was, why they would care if she was there for the shop or not. Waitrose just really seems to bring out the worst in its staff and customers. I complained in an email about the way they treated the old woman and they didn't even bother responding.

Comments

• bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    shop elsewhere
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Complete opposite in our Waitrose.

Everyone is lovely, staff and customers alike.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you believe the newbie, then watch out for the flying pigs. Yes, staff run across car parks and shout they aren't open yet.:rotfl:

Didn't we have another newbie a while back whining about Waitrose? The plebs getting free tea and coffee. Sound like the same numbie now posting about the stuck up people shopping there.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 May 2016 at 10:47PM
    Options
    I live in Torquay, and my local supermarket used to be a Somerfield, but when they closed down, unfortunately the supermarket became a Waitrose. I've had all sorts of rudeness from the staff at this Waitrose, I've even seen them reduce an old woman to tears. This is the latest happening though, and the first time a customer has been rude to me. I was in the queue with my shopping. The woman in front of me was some stuck-up snob who obviously thought she was some kind of aristocrat. She was buying a load of arty-farty food like artisan cheeses and crap like that. I was wearing tracksuit bottoms and an old jumper. As the woman packed her shopping, she looked me up and down, made a disgusted face, and sneered to the middle-aged female cashier, "Not your average Waitrose customer." The cashier looked me up and down, laughed, and agreed with the customer. I felt really embarrassed. There's no point even complaining to Waitrose because I complained when they made the old woman cry and they didn't even bother responding.
    On another occasion, a male cashier really hurt my arm. I was at the till, he was about to scan my items, and instead of asking if I'd like him to pack my shopping, he just grabbed my bag, which was wrapped around my arm, and yanked it away from me really hard. He nearly ripped my arm out of its socket, it hurt for days afterwards.
    The time they made the old woman cry, this is what happened. It was a Sunday morning, before the shop opened. I was waiting outside in the street for it to open. An old woman started walking across the car park. Suddenly three waitrose employees rushed over and started screaming at her to go away because the shop wasn't open yet. She tried to explain that she didn't want to go to the shop and was just taking a shortcut to get somewhere else. They wouldn't listen and screamed at her until she cried. she was obviously terrified being surrounded by these bullies yelling at her. I had to intervene and tell them to listen to her, that she wasn't waiting for the shop and just wanted to get past. I've no idea what their problem even was, why they would care if she was there for the shop or not. Waitrose just really seems to bring out the worst in its staff and customers. I complained in an email about the way they treated the old woman and they didn't even bother responding.

There's a joke/story I heard a while back (can't remember why) and your post brought it right to mind.

A knight was riding through a village, and stopped to ask a local squire: 'What are the people like in the next village?'

The squire thought, and looked at the Knight, and said: 'Well Sir Knight, it's a tough question. If you wouldn't mind me asking, what were the people like in the last village?"

The Knight responded: "They were some of the rudest and least courteous peasants I had ever met! They didn't offer any respect to my station, they wouldn't listen to my advice on how to better themselves, they didn't even offer me any oats for my horse!"

The squire whistled between his teeth a little and replied: "Alas Sir Knight, I'm afraid you'll find the people in the next village much the same."
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    There's a joke/story I heard a while back (can't remember why) and your post brought it right to mind.

A knight was riding through a village, and stopped to ask the a local squire: 'What are the people like in the next village?'

The squire asked: 'Well Sir Knight, it's a tough question. If you wouldn't mind me asking, what were the people like in the last village?"

The Knight responded: "They were some of the rudest and least courteous peasants I had ever met! They didn't offer any respect to my station, they wouldn't listen to my advice on how to better themselves, they didn't even offer me any oats for my horse!"

The squire whistled between his teeth a little and responded: "Alas Sir Knight, I'm afraid you'll find the people in the next village much the same."

I heard that tale from a Buddhist friend and the squire was a Buddhist monk talking to a traveller. It is a good one and I find it useful in so many situations!

I have always found Waitrose staff to be very well-trained so the OP is obviously very unlucky.

And I thoroughly recommend "arty-farty food like artisan cheeses and crap like that"!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    If you believe the newbie, then watch out for the flying pigs. Yes, staff run across car parks and shout they aren't open yet.:rotfl:

Didn't we have another newbie a while back whining about Waitrose? The plebs getting free tea and coffee. Sound like the same numbie now posting about the stuck up people shopping there.

Yes that poster was a newbie too.

I thought exactly the same re the 2 posters being the same.
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    Options
    She tried to explain that she didn't want to go to the shop and was just taking a shortcut to get somewhere else.

How, Torquays carpark is one way in and the same way out ?
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i just wish i could afford to shop at waitrose
    its the local dustbins for me a bit of tripe from the local butcher saturdays 5.00pm as it breaks their gurgitating machines and one good meal a week at the walk in centre
    i would love to be able to walk into a waitrose and be abused
    im so upset
    no body abuses me:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Bobcrowther
    Bobcrowther Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry op, you sound just a little ... unhinged.

Oh, and jogging bottoms are for jogging. Only poor people wear them as casual attire.
  • Hermione_Granger
    Hermione_Granger Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    barmonkey wrote: »
    How, Torquays carpark is one way in and the same way out ?

One way in and one way out for cars but I would be very surprised if there wasn't at least a couple of entrances for pedestrians. (which is what the OP was talking about).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure