PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bit upset. Just got told off for adding up my groceries

Options

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cheel that is awful - sending you a hug. The world is full of horrible people like that - when I encounter one of them I just say to myself thank god they aren't my mother in law or live next door to me. I always add up my shopping but on the back of the envelope I have written my shopping list and add it up as I go along.
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    poor you, thats so horrible! please dont be put off by one sad individual who obviously thinks she is superior, she certainly isnt. too watch my cash, use vouchers, coupons etc, and i love doing it so i can spend money on other things i cant cut corners with. i have been tutted at and been called names for buying YS stuff, i just smile sweetly then laugh manially, sends the nasties packing thats for sure. hold your head high!!!!! xxxxxx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Sweetie, what an incredibly bad mannered and horrible person that lady was, you're beginning a journey and like all of us OSers have to learn how to walk with OS lifestyle before you can run, don't let one unkind and selfish woman put you off what you're trying to do. Keep the faith, you're doing well so keep going pet.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    cheel wrote: »
    Cue horrible woman, tutting and glaring at me ( I assume I was in her way ) and as she walked of she turned and said 'if you are so broke you have to add it up live off your fat for a while'
    Not a nice experience...but although it was a horrible thing to say, it was probably because she was annoyed about other things, and taking it out on you.

Most likely that she was in a hurry and you were in her way, not that it makes it right. If that was the case it would be considerate to stand to one side / out of the way of foot traffic when totting up your total.

I say this as someone who was exceptionally bothered by the tourists mindlessly wandering round in the West End yesterday evening with their heads in the air / intent on texting rather than looking where they were going etc, getting under my feet when I needed to be somewhere in a hurry. My thoughts weren't pleasant at the time, admittedly - but I reminded myself constantly that tourists are here to enjoy themselves, I wouldn't wish to ruin their holiday by being horrid and after all, tourism contributes enormously to the economy.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Not a nice experience...but although it was a horrible thing to say, it was probably because she was annoyed about other things, and taking it out on you.

Most likely that she was in a hurry and you were in her way, not that it makes it right. If that was the case it would be considerate to stand to one side / out of the way of foot traffic when totting up your total.

I say this as someone who was exceptionally bothered by the tourists mindlessly wandering round in the West End yesterday evening with their heads in the air / intent on texting rather than looking where they were going etc, getting under my feet when I needed to be somewhere in a hurry. My thoughts weren't pleasant at the time, admittedly - but I reminded myself constantly that tourists are here to enjoy themselves, I wouldn't wish to ruin their holiday by being horrid and after all, tourism contributes enormously to the economy.

OP does say they pulled the trolley to one side
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Options
    Miserable woman that was a mean thing to say.

I would have told her I could never be as fat as her mouth.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • cheel
    cheel Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Wow what a lot of lovely supportive posts. Thankyou all so much.

I will keep going with the budgeting its a bit like learning a new language!!, I am losing weight (3st so far) its on the slow side but I'm going about it my own way :) I'm now wearing a size 16 but I'm only five foot so still as round as I'm tall! Lol!

I think its a good Idea to keep a running total on a piece of paper then I wont forget my total when I'm trying to work out if a 3 pack of bananas is better than buying two individual ones (it was)!!

I did think I was out of the way but it was busy, so I expect I was unintentionally blocking something!

Cheel xx
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

I did think I was out of the way but it was busy, so I expect I was unintentionally blocking something!

Cheel xx

Even if you were is it so hard for someone to politely say 'excuse me'??

There is no excuse for rudeness.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And the numbers are up the other way.
    123 is at the top of a phone keypad but at the bottom of a calculator keypad.

Shows how often I use either :p

My phone keyboard is apparently white.. not green.. lol..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I am losing weight (3st so far) its on the slow side but I'm going about it my own way
    The slower it comes off, the more chance you have of keeping it off, I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport