Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13

Options

Comments

• Snowbird
    Snowbird Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    skimper wrote: »
    I'm going to focus on losing weight and eating better and hope that does something. I've got a Dr appointment booked in for 3 weeks time to see what other tests can be done/ a referral.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how much overweight are you?
    The doctor said she has to lose weight, but she does not look fat to me. Probably about a stone they said.
    I was really skinny when I was trying to get pregnant. Unlike now and I feel like an elephant.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,770 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Skimper, there were two other things that I'm convinced helped. I have a tilted womb - something that I didn't find out until I mentioned to the smear nurse that smears usually hurt. After bd I lay on my back with a pillow under my bum and my legs up the wall against the headboard. It sounds ridiculous but when nothing else shows up in tests a tilted womb obviously makes things tricky.

Have you had the test to check if your fallopian tubes are clear? It's called HSG for short. If your tubes are clear it's like a rough dentist visit. One of mine wasn't so it did hurt me quite a bit. All my blood tests were also normal but the polycystic ovary (just the one) was picked up via ultrasound and it was enough to stop the egg being produced on the other side from being mature enough to fertilise properly. I had cyclogest pessaries (normally given to IVF ladies) in combination with clomid before I had a viable pregnancy. I only say this because you mention weight. My periods were regular, my hormone tests appeared ok but I was fat and spotty which is a dead giveaway for PCO.

The other bizarre thing that I read was that ladies who prayed for a baby were more likely to get pregnant if they were having problems conceiving than ladies who didn't. I'm not a believer/churchgoer but it made me alter my mindset into believing that I would end up with a baby. All sorts of "mind advice" books say the same - that if you believe then you will receive so move forward with the conviction that this will work. I told you it was a little strange.
  • skimper
    skimper Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Snowbird - I've got a few stone to lose, I know people who are a lot bigger than me and conceived which is frustrating.

Thanks for the help cranky, I've had the 21 day bloods and OH had his SA. Both came back fine. I haven't had the hsg yet, is that the same as the hycosy? I'll probably ask for that next.
    Haha I've done the cushion under the bum and legs in the air before but don't do it everytime, I'll have to give it any other go.
    Interesting on the mind thing, I have a Co worker who is a big believer in asking the universe for whatever she needs, and swears by it. I'm not a church goer either but can't do any harm in asking!
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has AF turned up Skimper?

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, its crap. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some fall easily and others struggle.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,770 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, the HSG is another way of describing the hycosy. It's not meant to hurt much - they say take some ibuprofen before hand. Thanks to my endo adhesions etc I came out traumatised and unable to bend to get in the car. It took me 4 days off work to recover.
  • skimper
    Options
    Rambosmum, yes she did. I've never been later that 28 days, and I had a hint of spotting 9pm on CD 28! Then turned in to AF. Really frustrating.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    Hey all, sorry for being MIA! Back from our holiday now, it was lovely but I did have a couple of tough days. Being surrounded by families every single day and even seeing someone taking a pregnancy announcement picture took it's toll. Like always though one I had a good cry about it I was able to move on. We made a special holiday wish and crossing our fingers it comes true.

We are month 20 Skimper and it is so hard isn't it? I am so sorry your body got your hopes up. I am glad you are pushing forward with the fertlity appointments for more tests. As we are private I didnt get the tests checking my tubes and I regret not pushing for this now as I've learnt more about endo and think I may have it. Whilst obviously OH's low sperm count makes getting a natural BFP difficult if I have blocked tubes too then this makes it almost impossible! I am going to go to the docs and ask for a referral to investigate the endo as if I do have it this will hopefully help getting our chances if the IVF is unsuccessful.

A big welcome to those that have joined/returned since I last posted :). I am so glad this thread is a little more active now!

We are going to push ahead with treatment now our holiday is over - which is scary (and expensive!). I know I need to lose some weight and fuel my body with goodness, but I am hopeless with nutrition. Does anyone know what types of foods are good to eat when TTC? Or to avoid? I am thinking lots of lean protein meat (chicken) with salad or veg. Sticking to wholemeal pasta and sweet potatoes. Any other ideas?
  • dropsofjupiter
    Options
    Does anyone know what types of foods are good to eat when TTC? Or to avoid? I am thinking lots of lean protein meat (chicken) with salad or veg. Sticking to wholemeal pasta and sweet potatoes. Any other ideas?

Long time lurker here, when conceiving DS, I had been actively reducing my sugar intake and concentrating on good fats and proteins like Greek yogurt, no-added sugar peanut butter and avocado. He surprised us on our first month of trying.

The journey to conceive DC2, took a lot longer, and it took me months before I realised the sugar binge I would have when ovulation was due was then delaying my ovulation so we were timing BD wrong!

HTH
    Hobnobs are like marines
  • Aunty-Pickle
    Options
    not sure about women's diets but I've heard that walnuts are very good for men to take - for sperm motility and sperm health.
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
  • skimper
    Options
    Pkk- last month pretty much broke me, I didn't want to carry on trying. I got to the point where i couldn't carry on, so I booked the appointment. OH us coming with me too. So hopefully we can get something out of it. He's diabetic too so if it comes to ivf he'll be OK sticking needles in me haha.

I'm just trying to snack less and eat healthier meals.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback