We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sky TV 60% Off Con

Options

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2016 at 5:53PM
    Options
    I dare say Sky advisors are on commission, or probably worse than that, are targeted to sign up a certain number of callers , and if they don't hit the target the get 'coached', or a 'delevopment plan' but ultimately are 'moved' out of the business, (sacked) so even though you asked the question you were given a less than honest reply...TBH, as the advert says 60% of rather than £***per month, I would regard that as them intending to raise prices, but give 60% off the increased price, you obviously did too, that's why you asked for clarification, or perhaps the advisor didn't know the answer to the question you were asking ,
    I cannot see why others are saying it's no foul, it's a good deal etc, if you asked a specific question and were given a less than honest reply, wether by mistake or not, you are righty a little pi**ed off with them
    I presume Sky are cancelling without holding you to term
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    I dare say Sky advisors are on commission, or probably worse than that, are targeted to sign up a certain number of callers , and if they don't hit the target the get 'coached', or a 'delevopment plan' but ultimately are 'moved' out of the business, (sacked) so even though you asked the question you were given a less than honest reply...
    That's a whole lot of supposition I'm afraid.

What evidence do you have for stating that Sky call centre staff are encouraged to mislead customers in the manner you suggest?

Sky staff certainly have targets, but they are not paid commission to sign up customers to money saving deals which don't exist. Calls are recorded, staff are more likely to be sacked for providing inaccurate information than for not meeting their quota of new sign ups.

Sky is an easy target for conspiracy theories because the firm is owned by Rupert Murdoch and is known to have employed sharp business practices.

But in this alleged case, someone with no evidence accuses Sky of misleading him.

But he then goes on to say that Sky have allowed him to cancel outside of the cooling off period without actually checking the call.

This is very very unlikely.
    iniltous wrote: »
    I cannot see why others are saying it's no foul, it's a good deal etc,
    You have chosen to take this story at face value, but the majority here disagree with you.
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    aralph1 wrote: »
    First of all I did cancel the contract, I have an email saying I have an end date of 13th May. The contract initially started 25th Feb.

The con is they promised I only had to pay £18.20 per month for 12 months and changed then amount almost immediately, with further price hikes on the horizon.

Enjoy your £18.20 extra a month whilst you are watching freeview. I wish my sky was only £18.20 a month!
  • stockton_2
    stockton_2 Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    I have a similar deal as you o/p. (£18.20 for Original, plus Sports pack, plus £100) In my case I cancelled my old subscription in January and was called by Sky in February with the new offer. I recall distinctly that I was told on the phone that the subscription was on a monthly basis and could be cancelled with just a months notice at any time.

Like you I have now received the letter telling me my subs are going up by £4,50.

In my case, taking into account the £100 bonus, the first five months subscription is basically free. Taking all things together my total payment over the 12 months will be (3 months x £18.20 plus 9 months x £22.70 less £100).

So I will have to pay Sky an average of £13.24 a month over the course of the year. This is for the full sky sports pack plus the Original bundle.

Myself, I think I have got a very good deal, regardless of price increase.

Several months of good footy to look forward to and paying buttons compared to what I was paying previously.

Nothing for me to grumble about?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stockton wrote: »
    I have a similar deal as you o/p. (£18.20 for Original, plus Sports pack, plus £100) In my case I cancelled my old subscription in January and was called by Sky in February with the new offer. I recall distinctly that I was told on the phone that the subscription was on a monthly basis and could be cancelled with just a months notice at any time.

Like you I have now received the letter telling me my subs are going up by £4,50.

In my case, taking into account the £100 bonus, the first five months subscription is basically free. Taking all things together my total payment over the 12 months will be (3 months x £18.20 plus 9 months x £22.70 less £100).

So I will have to pay Sky an average of £13.24 a month over the course of the year. This is for the full sky sports pack plus the Original bundle.

Myself, I think I have got a very good deal, regardless of price increase.

Several months of good footy to look forward to and paying buttons compared to what I was paying previously.

Nothing for me to grumble about?

They seem to have sent out a generic letter - I got the same £4.50 increase but when I looked in MySky at future subcription costs my actual increase is £2.35 pm as the 60% discount applies to most of the elements.:)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes the rise will be based on the full price of one's package, then applied according to the percentage discount held.
  • flipdee
    flipdee Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Quite ironic the sky customer with possibly the largest available discount cancels due to a price increase.
    Most hagglers would love to be on the 60% + £100 bill credit package (on a 31 day rolling contract, that's especially lucky) as within the past month these levels of deals seemed to have nearly completely dried up.
    Think of the people who signed up to get a free TV 2 months ago and will have 8+ months of £4.50 or more extra to pay, that TV doesn't look quite for attractive anymore.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2016 at 9:36PM
    Options
    That's a whole lot of supposition I'm afraid.

What evidence do you have for stating that Sky call centre staff are encouraged to mislead customers in the manner you suggest?

Sky staff certainly have targets, but they are not paid commission to sign up customers to money saving deals which don't exist. Calls are recorded, staff are more likely to be sacked for providing inaccurate information than for not meeting their quota of new sign ups.

Sky is an easy target for conspiracy theories because the firm is owned by Rupert Murdoch and is known to have employed sharp business practices.

But in this alleged case, someone with no evidence accuses Sky of misleading him.

But he then goes on to say that Sky have allowed him to cancel outside of the cooling off period without actually checking the call.

This is very very unlikely.

You have chosen to take this story at face value, but the majority here disagree with you.

I never said that Sky encouraged agents to mis-lead, I implied that pressure to achieve what Sky want could lead to some reps mis-leading callers, or perhaps not understanding the discounts they offer, this in essence boils down either believing the OP asked a straight forward question, 'is this price fixed for the entire term ?' and you (and others) believing that Sky would not have said that ' yes it's fixed for the entire time' when the deal was for 60% off an unquoted sum, I believe the OP.
    You state they don't get 'commission', but do have targets ,how do you know ?, do employees who beat these targets get any reward other than their salary ? Maybe not commission, but incentives non the less, do employees who don't achieve targets get development to reach target, and would failure after development to reach target lead to 'discipline' and termination of employment ?
    I quite agree with you that calls are recorded and a percentage will be reviewed and no doubt feed into the reps performance reviews etc, imagine a rep that's on a plan for not achieving target,and is on the path to being managed out of the business, so where is the risk in that case of being less than honest when signing up a customer with less than honest info, yes they may sack you, but you were going to get sacked anyway, and what's the chances of that call being amongst the calls reviewed ?
    Supposition perhaps, you ask what evidence I have, none, but you have non either, you choose to dis believe the OP
    I don't work for Sky (do you ?) but if asked who do I believe , the OP who is adamant they asked a particular question, or a customer service rep, why dis believe the OP ?, have you never been on a call with a call centre rep, and had to ring back hoping to get someone else who knows what they are talking about, I know I have , many , many times, with various company's and their reps.
    It's not really a matter of rating the offer, and deciding if it's a good deal or not, it's a case of did the Sky rep say the price is fixed , we know it wasn't, so either the rep 'lied' or the OP mis understood , and the OP seems clear he didn't
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I ended my Sky Contract last year after they put up the price and took away the tariff I was on despite me having recommitted to another year with them. They were actually offering me a worse service for more money than they had been offering previously. I was able to cancel because the increase was more than the amount they are allowed to increase within the contract. They immediately offered a slight reduction, still would have been more than I originally agreed.
    I am now with Virgin. The internet speed on the BT line used by Sky was extremely slow. This meant that other suppliers such as Talk Talk or BT could not offer me their TV services. I didn't have a SKY dish due to being in ground floor flat. Just before my contract with Sky ended they tried offering me a better deal, however by then it was too little too late. I knew what channels I could get with Virgin that I knew I would watch (my partner has Virgin so I watch these at his some evenings). The line speed meant Virgin were only way to get these. At time I signed up Virgin were offering a £100 gift voucher, also by signing up via top cash back I got £141 cash back.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aralph1 wrote: »

The purpose of this post is to make others aware that the prices will increase during their contract despite what the offer is, and whatever you originally agree is meaningless.

To be fair Sky themselves state that prices may change during the subscription period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport