We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sky TV 60% Off Con

Options

Comments

• aralph1
    aralph1 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    • In your minimum term TV/Sky+/Sky HD and Multiscreen prices may increase once by up to 10% of the standard price. Other prices and services may also vary. We will let you know about any material changes before we make them.

March Bill £18.20
    April Bill £20.00
    May Bill £20.00
    June +£4.50 (according to letter)

I've had no correspondence of the initial £1.80 increase for April and May (yeah I know its 10% of £18.20)
    The £4.50 increase in June is more than 10% of £20.

So there T's and C's are wrong there too.
  • aralph1
    Options
    I've read through my terms and conditions. There's 5 condtions Sky have broke around the following T and C's:

Cancellation period: You have the right to cancel your order for a Sky box and minidish, related subscription or other
    product (e.g. remote control, tvLINK) without giving any reason any time up to 14 days (“cooling off period”) from the
    later of: (i) delivery; (ii) installation; or (iii) receipt of the relevant terms and conditions for that product/service.

Will the price of my subscription(s) rise during the Minimum Term?
    Under the Sky digital Subscription Contract we can increase the prices for the Stand-alone Premium Channels or extra
    Sky Premium Channels at any time during the Minimum Term.
    However, in all other cases we can only increase the relevant Subscription Payment once during the Minimum Term. This
    increase won’t affect you during the first 60 days of your subscription to your chosen service(s) and will not
    be more than either 10% of the standard price of your Option or the increase in the UK Retail Price Index over the last 12
    months before we tell you about that price increase, whichever is greater. Under the Sky digital Subscription Contract,
    if at any time you change your chosen Service, you will pay the then current price for your new Service from the day you
    first receive it.

We may increase your Subscription Payment at any time for any reason stated in Condition 15(a) or 15(b) by
    giving you at least 31 days’ notice. This includes increases under Condition 2(e) unless Condition 2(e)(ii) applies
    when we will try to give you as much reasonable notice as possible. If you want to remove Channels from your
    Service (in accordance with Condition 2(b)) and/or end the Contract at the end of or after the Minimum Term
    (in accordance with Condition 11(a)) because you don’t want to pay the higher price let us know within 21 days
    of receipt of our notice. If you do this you will not have to pay the price increase for the Channels you remove
    from your Service or the price increase for the Service where you end the Contract (and if your latest bill already
    includes the higher price we will refund the difference to you in your next or final bill)

1. They've allowed me to cancel my subscription 47 days after I took it out, way more than the 14 stated in there T's and C's. What does that tell you?

2. The first price increase from £18.20 to £20 is a 10% increase but I had no 31 day notification

3. The first price increase from £18.20 to £20 has occurred within the first 60 days which it shouldn't have.

4. The 2nd price increase of £4.50, I've had 31 days notice but its way more than 10% of what I'm paying

5. The 2nd price increase is a 2nd price increase, and the T's and C's say they can only make one in the minimum term.

I've been a Sky customer since 2008 to the end of 2015, and know full well they don't stick to there own T and C's when it comes to billing - but in the past if you make an agreement with the advisor on the phone or web chat they've usually stuck to it, just not in this case.

The random price increase happened to me on the last contract I was with them, which I thought was unfair so I ran out the contract. So when I negotiated this new deal I made sure to confirm the £18.20 fixed price for 12 months, knowing that each time I'd negotiated with them in the past their promises held up.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    aralph1 wrote: »

1. They've allowed me to cancel my subscription 47 days after I took it out, way more than the 14 stated in there T's and C's. What does that tell you?

I'm afraid it tells me that you will receive a bill from Sky for the outstanding period of your contact.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Since when was an annual price rise a "random" price rise ?

You can cancel a contract at any time but ability to cancel doesn't mean you won't get termination charges - but hopefully you negotiated this on the phone with Sky before cancelling.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • aralph1
    Options
    Yeah your all right, and I'm wrong. Sky are an awesome company that are not too blame for misleading sales tactics and breaking there T and C's.

Good job all you knowledgeable experts have put me right. Thanks for treating me like a liar, and giving me lots of self doubt. Yeah I'm sure they'll add on the early termination charges later on as a punishment, I presume they haven't got round to it yet as my 'future' tv bill is reading at 0 at the moment, and there was no mention from the guy who cancelled it - but you guys are all Sky experts, so thanks for the heads up.

Suppose next you're all gonna tell me 2+2=5?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Early bills will vary because the first includes payment in arrears from the start date plus a month in advance and the credit will also be deducted until used up.

I don't understand where the figure of £18.20 comes from, as the site gives the price of the Sports (including Original) bundle as £47.50,40% of which is £19.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Yeah your all right, and I'm wrong. Sky are an awesome company that are not too blame for misleading sales tactics and breaking there T and C's.

Good job all you knowledgeable experts have put me right. Thanks for treating me like a liar, and giving me lots of self doubt. Yeah I'm sure they'll add on the early termination charges later on as a punishment, I presume they haven't got round to it yet as my 'future' tv bill is reading at 0 at the moment, and there was no mention from the guy who cancelled it - but you guys are all Sky experts, so thanks for the heads up.

Correct, everybody else is wrong and you are right. You are bringing Sky to its knees.

I hear Mr Murdoch is at this very moment trembling in his boots in New York as he tries to offload all his shares in the company before the Stock Exchange in London is given your name as the person who has uncovered the seething mass of corruption and bile that has led Sky from having no customers in 1990 to having 10 million today.

You, single handedly, are bringing this economic giant to the brink of extinction.

I look forward to seeing you being interviewed on all the TV and radio news programmes to tell us all how you did it.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Good job all you knowledgeable experts have put me right. Thanks for treating me like a liar, and giving me lots of self doubt.
    It is called not giving you the answers you want to hear, happens a lot on these forums and it means that everyone else is wrong and you are right, let us know how you get on.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    4. The 2nd price increase of £4.50, I've had 31 days notice but its way more than 10% of what I'm paying

I think you will find it is £4.50 off the headline price. All the letters I've ever had from Sky about price rises have not taken into account any discount I have been receiving as they are pretty generic.

I'm guessing your package is £50ish when it's not discounted? If you check your future bills, you will find it is probably a £1.80 price rise which is below 10%.

I've been a Sky customer since 2008 to the end of 2015

Then you should be well aware of their annual price rises then.
  • aralph1
    Options
    Thanks mije1983, a decent reply at last.

Yes previously with price increases Sky put the bill back to what it was when I've rang up.
    I let my last TV contract run out though cos they put the bill up £4.50, but also announced they'd lost the champions league rights, so felt I was being charged more for less.

My gripe with Sky is, normally whatever I've agreed with them they've stuck to. I.e. i've agreed price fixes for 12 months before and they've stuck to it, but this time I only agreed to come back if the £18.20 was fixed for 12 months - which they agreed, and I thought they would stick to, but they've already given me 2 price increases. Admittedly the second £4.50 increase never materialized because the contract is cancelled before it got that far.

Sky are the worst company for messing around with what you pay for each month, there the only company I've ever dealt with who consistently change what you have to pay.

With this post I was trying to make people aware that their offers aren't as clear as they're glossy adverts make out, so be careful.

Instead I've been attacked from all angles, and made out to be a liar, or stupid and its all my fault on my maiden post, with many of the replies diverting the thread away what I was trying to make people wary of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport