Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Options

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,189 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Feeling a bit envious of the garden session & tip run. Gosh, doesn't that sound tragic, being jealous of a tip-run, lol? We did finally get a trip out today though, which was lovely, just to have a change of scenery & get some fresh air & a walk. 
    Fx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    @foxgloves I'm sure you'll opportunity for a tip run will come soon enough! We took the opportunity whilst we could and who knows when it'll be dry again! Plus we're having some work done outside this week so wanted to do some clearing first so the job we be the best it can be and last a long time. Plus it will have hopefully reduced costs as we have done some donkey work. And I just enjoyed spending time out there. 
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Very impressive on the garden. Hope the raspberries turn out well for you. I didn't know you should prune them this time of year. We have a small patch behind the shed with raspberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Very impressive on the garden. Hope the raspberries turn out well for you. I didn't know you should prune them this time of year. We have a small patch behind the shed with raspberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants.
    Mine are autumn raspberries @savingholmes. I think it’s different if they are summer ones but I’m not an expert. 

Budget all done and updated. Feels like all I’m doing is paying out money in the last 3 days, despite it all budgeted for it’s never easy to part with the funds 🤣

have planned meals for next 10 days or so. Going food shopping today, need to collect something from A$da so will shop there for a change. It’s not a full size one so not sure how much I’ll get but my list isn’t big as my mission to eat from the freezer continues. 
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All sounding good PF. Raspberry canes, if they fruit well, can save you loads, especially with little ones. When we had an allotment we largely grew fruit and the more pricey veg to get best value from our efforts. I might start planning what we will grow this year just to make me feel a bit more Spring like!

Hope YNAB is going well. Boo to getting less money this month but know that HMRC have been playing around with a lot of codes recently, maybe thats what's happened to you? Get onto your Payroll team quickly!
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a productive weekend, I've not read where the ironing board was but having visions of you ironing in the garden! :-)
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What kind of meals are you planning? I'm supposed to be eating from the freezer too. We did just have chops I defrosted on Sunday - got there eventually!
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    What kind of meals are you planning? I'm supposed to be eating from the freezer too. We did just have chops I defrosted on Sunday - got there eventually!
    We’ve had all sorts. Turkey mince chilli, prawn stir fry, spag Bol, beef curry and naan bread. So all yummy. 
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Another productive week. House is mainly tidy and food shop done which I was pleased I stretched to 10 days. Meal planning definitely helping. 

Couple of bits purchased for the house (from house budget) nothing exciting but required like a laundry bin. 

Done a couple of annoying jobs today, only took a few minutes each - why do I procrastinate about these things 🤣

big bag of clothes gifted by pal which is very kind of her. I donated some back to her. 

DH hasn’t been paid for Feb - it’s annoying we have to chase. That and YN AB looks very red until it arrives! 

In better news he got paid today for a second job he has taken on, which was more than we expected. Which is good. 

No overpayments of anything are being made until his wages are in  the account though! 

Trying a bargain bag from a supermarket tonight from an app that’s designed to cut food waste. Will be interesting to see what’s in the bag! It’s like reserving lucky dip YS stuff in advance. 
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Lucky dip bag from local (not big chain sm) was very good for £3.09. Has either been frozen, eaten or will be eating for tea tonight. 

Lots of left overs from a roast today which will be weaved into  meal plan for the week rest will be frozen. 

House tidy as we’ve had guests 🤣 so should be easy to keep on top of this week. 

Intend to cast on my second sock tonight and spend some relaxing time getting that kicked off. 

PE kits packed for tomorrow and DH on kitchen tidy duty before settling down to some relaxing later. 

Hoping to hear some progress on a claim I’ve made this week, if not I’ll have to chase as it’s taken some time and I really need to know one way or another as quite a lot hangs on it. 

Loving the later evenings and being able to get washing outside. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback