My "Out of the Rat Race" adventure.

Options

Comments

• j2401
    j2401 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Ive been reading your diary and its so inspiring. I was wondering what free site your husband uses for bingo? I do most of the survey sites but have never heard of a free bingo site.:D
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

My main addiction is the walking into a lovely restaurant with crisp white tablecloths, perusing the wine list and choosing a cheeky little glass of Merlot before gazing at length at the tempting menu. I absolutely LOVE IT. I do not love it more than the thought of not driving a 30 miles round trip to a job that no longer inspires me however.

:T. I used to work out how much longer I'd have to work because I wanted a takeaway/coffee/magazine etc. If I still wanted it then fine but I rarely did :D.
    I do like my job but no longer love it and I have lost my passion for it. This is one of the reasons why FI is so important to me. I might figure out what I want to do when I grow up:rotfl:

You might find like I did that the job you really want and are best suited for is early retirement :rotfl:.
    I

Yesterday I had a massive realisation after reading more MMM and other FI sites including some amazing diaries on here that if I stick to my plan and can get an additional £200 (ish) a month on average on top of our earnings then I can actually retire in...................4 Years!!

:j:T:j. It's amazing what can be achieved when you put your mind to it. I reckon you could easily knock a few months off that :beer:.

With regards to the house jobs /selling stuff etc, have you come across KonMari? I won't explain it on the assumption you have heard of it as it's boring to write about (and I may just still have a bit of a hangover :o) but that could make a big difference to your life.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 April 2016 at 7:32PM
    Options
    Have you accidentally zoomed in? Press ctrl and zero to get text back to normal size.
  • There_Is_a_Light
    Options
    Have you accidentally zoomed in? Press ctrl and zero to get text back to normal size.

It worked:T You clever Crazy Cat lady person:cool:
    "These things take time but I know that I'm the most inept that ever stepped"
    Save £12K in 2016 #150 £12858.59/£14200.00
  • There_Is_a_Light
    Options
    With regards to the house jobs /selling stuff etc, have you come across KonMari? I won't explain it on the assumption you have heard of it as it's boring to write about (and I may just still have a bit of a hangover :o) but that could make a big difference to your life.[/QUOTE]

I think I have heard of it, I think that unless an object sparks joy you should sling it. I will investigate, thanks.
  • There_Is_a_Light
    Options
    j2401 wrote: »
    Hi Ive been reading your diary and its so inspiring. I was wondering what free site your husband uses for bingo? I do most of the survey sites but have never heard of a free bingo site.:D

It rhymes with ring/ping..........usually accompanied by music:cool:

He plays the free games and then if he wins gambles on the slot machine games. He has been lucky so far.
  • j2401
    j2401 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hahaha Thanks. :rotfl:
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

I think I have heard of it, I think that unless an object sparks joy you should sling it. I will investigate, thanks.
    Hangover a bit better now :rotfl:. Yes, that is basically it in a nutshell. Instead of decluttering every six months and buying new storage it makes you re-evaluate everything, not asking what you should get rid of but deciding what you should keep. You need to get all of a category together - so all your clothes out of wardrobes, suitcases, drawers etc and piled on the bed. Pick up every single item and try on if necessary. Ask if it gives you joy and if not discard - you can keep purely functional items such as sports bras but even then discard old, tired ones. Thank everything as you discard it (yes, really :rotfl:) and don't keep something you don't like just because it cost a lot of money - the money is already wasted as you've bought it and don't wear it, and you probably get pangs of guilt every time you see it. Release it to ebay or a charity shop to bring joy into someone else's life :).

The book is The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing - it really is worth reading, though she's clearly nuts :D. There's a suggested order of tackling things - books are first, again gather every single book in one place as part of the process is confronting how much 'stuff' you have. Plus it's good for a laugh when you do stationery and see how many pens you've got :rotfl:. There's also a Facebook page that has lots of tips and is quite good fun as well.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • There_Is_a_Light
    Options
    It really sounds interesting Gallygirl, thanks for that. I do have an awful lot of stuff. There is a loft full of toys from when the boys were little. I love the idea of getting everything of the same thing out.

I am a bit cross with myself as I ended up breaking my really long (at least 6 weeks) roll of not spending any money at work. Last night I was held back and got so starving at 6pm that I had to buy a pasta pot for £2 and was collared by an administrator for not paying into the milk fund :o so another 50p. Today I have prepared a lovely wrap with some fresh strawberries for dessert.

Beautiful day here so think I shall wear a nice pink jacket for the office instead of dull winter stuff. Thankfully my summer wardrobe is much nicer and bigger than my winter one :D

Tried a new hairdressers recommended by a friend and it was half the price of the eyeball taking one that I have been to. £54 for full head highlights/cut/blowdry. Love it :T Paid on my MrT CC so I shall get points and it will come out of next months budget.
    Mr Light has a set of clippers so cuts his own with a little help from me.
  • There_Is_a_Light
    Options
    No spend day for me :)

Mr Light has been clearing the garden and burning rubbish. It is looking so much better. No paid gardener for us. I have friends who pay people to water their plants..........yep WATER THEIR PLANTS!!

Crazy world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport