The Awakening.....the amazing April NSD challenge thread

As the staff of Ennessdee Towers sail off on their round-the-world cruise, the NSD challenge continues.......

Why?

People collect No Spend Days for various reasons.

Some do it because they are heavily in debt. Some have a limited income so need to watch the pennies. Some are saving up for something big - a house, a holiday, a wedding.

And some are just rebelling against the ethos of rampant consumerism.

Whatever the reason, we can make it fun. We can cheer each other on and commiserate when the spendy demons strike.

So.......in the absence of mad chefs and transvestite donkeys.....

There's me........

And you............

And anyone else who's up for a challenge!
One life - your life - live it!

Replies

• edited 1 May 2016 at 8:08AM
    NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 1 May 2016 at 8:08AM
    Reserved for the list of participants. Here, I'll get the ball rolling...

Nargleblast. 9/12

Aliliva. 2/6

Azzzaa. 1/15

Debtfreedolly. 0/10

Gemgem. 15/15 New target 21/20

HB 2027 0/10

Jodies16. 20/20

Michmar72 0/

Milasavesmoney. 14/15

Mozzakate. 6/20

MrsC...tobe . 2/14

positivelypunked 1/20

Rosa21. 7/15

Yasmin2. 15/15 TARGET!!! 18 NSDs now!

zenshi. 0/15
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Reserved for rules of the thread.

Well, this is a short one. You make your own rules. Whatever floats your boat. Some count everything that goes out of their bank account or purse as a spend. Others set a budget for food or entertainment, and only count anything that goes over budget as a spend.

One important thing.....don't dwell on missed NSDs. Stuff happens. Learn from it and move on. Every NSD is welcome.
    10.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Finally.....and I will shut up after this, promise.......if anyone has any good ideas for ways to save money or collect NSDs, please share them.....we need all the help we can get!
  • milasavesmoneymilasavesmoney Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Count me in for April. I'm going for 15 NSD. I've never done this before so I don't know if that's high or low.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • AzzzaaAzzzaa Forumite
    346 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Im putting myself down for 15 NSD, if i could do 18 NSD i'd be over the moon :D Lets do this :D
    Documenting my journey from full time support worker to full time eBay reseller :)
  • Hi! Can I please join? I've become quite good at making extra money but I am shocking for spending it! I am going to aim for 10 days as a first try :) xxx
  • AzzzaaAzzzaa Forumite
    346 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Hi! Can I please join? I've become quite good at making extra money but I am shocking for spending it! I am going to aim for 10 days as a first try :) xxx

I found the 'No spend day' approach really helpful when trying to stop spending money, i'd pick up a magazine and think to myself "wait, today is my no spend day" and put it back, even if i end up buying the magazine on a day which isn't a NSD, i still manage to put it back the first time round and walk away, which is 99% of the problem :):T
    Documenting my journey from full time support worker to full time eBay reseller :)
    10.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Good morning NSD gang! Happy First of April.......And as I have a couple of days off I will sit down later and update the list of people taking part this month.

milasavesmoney - aiming for half the month as NSDs is brave for a first timer, but why not? Go for it!

Azzzaa - you sound really up for it, brilliant! And good to know that having No Spend Day on the brain is putting you off unnecessary spending. Don't get me started on magazines - cost a fortune, and all those adverts!

Debtfreedolly - 10 is a respectable number, who knows, you might get more?

Catch y'all later, there's two cats to kick off the bed and stuff to do.
  • yasmin2yasmin2 Forumite
    319 Posts
    Hi,

Please add me to the list. I used to do this challenge a few years ago and it was great for keeping me on track. I am going to commit to 15NSDwhich means no spending from my purse. Not going to include any direct debit payments already set up. So 15 NSD
    Debt outstanding [STRIKE]£3491.[/STRIKE] £3303
    NSD 10/15
  • AlilivaAliliva Forumite
    164 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    First timer here! I've lurked the forum for a while, then decided I could really use a bit of peer support :) I'm trying to save up for a house deposit (well, it'll take years, but better get started), and looking at my statements I realised it barely passes one day without me spending at least 5£ :eek:
    So, my aim for this challenge is not so high, just 1/2 NSDs a week, so let's say 6 days this month. But with your help I hope I'll do better!

Just a side note, sometimes I have some reimbursable expenditures for work. Is it fine if I don't consider them? As well as a couple of DD for gym and utilities, given that they have the bad habit of not getting the same day every month.

Finally, good luck everybody! :grouphug:
    GC £~~/300
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Glitch hits Nectar bonzana

Did you miss out on bonus points?

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock