Forum Home» Debate House Prices & the Economy

The New Fat Scotland 'Thanks for all the Fish' Thread. - Page 737

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

The New Fat Scotland 'Thanks for all the Fish' Thread.

15.4K replies 159.1K views

Replies

• RJP33RJP33 Forumite
    339 posts
    May should decline with the excuse that the country needs to focus on Brexit.

She has a ready made get out.
  • kelpie35kelpie35 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Again Sturgeon throwing her toys out the pram.

A definite NO from me too.
  • Filo25Filo25 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the point in Westminster blocking it if the Scottish parliament votes to have one.

It would just further increase support for Independence, this nation is divided enough as it stands at present.

This is certainly a winnable referendum for the pro-union campaign and as we aren't likely to get any further constitutional changes on the scale of Brexit anytime soon, should put the debate to bed for long time.
  • In light of Brexit many Remainers told us referendums are a bad idea, too blunt a tool.

I wonder if those same voices will make this argument regards the Scots referendum?
  • Filo25 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in Westminster blocking it if the Scottish parliament votes to have one.

It would just further increase support for Independence, this nation is divided enough as it stands at present.

This is certainly a winnable referendum for the pro-union campaign and as we aren't likely to get any further constitutional changes on the scale of Brexit anytime soon, should put the debate to bed for long time.

I don't understand this argument that saying no will increase support for independence.

Please explain it in detail.

As far as I can tell the issue has been on the agenda of Scottish minds for 4 years or more, there will be little movement if any.

Also if they're told no, then there's no consequence from any possible uptick in support for it. Once the terms of Brexit are understood and the deal is actually in place it would be a more open and honest debate anyway rather than the faux outrage debate Sturgeon wants to have. A little bit of research and reading shows them up as the liars they are. I know all politicians lie, but these build a completely alternate reality.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • kabayirikabayiri Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the turnout for IndyRef2 will be better than the rather pathetic showing Scotland had for the EU referendum?

(We should refer to this no show as the forgotten third...they didn't express any momentum for another referendum)

Also, in this new 2 speed EU, which group does Scotland belong in? Some Eastern European countries might be rather miffed if Scotland demands to be at the top table.
  • westernpromisewesternpromise
    4.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surgeon surely wants at least 2 more referenda, one between now and March 2019 and another afterwards on the grounds that the former was uninformed.

Personally I can't wait for these bankrupsters to just s0d off.
  • fun4everyonefun4everyone Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something like 1/3 Indy supporters voted leave, it is just being stoked up as another SNP grievance. We also export more than 4 times as much to the rest of the UK than we do to the EU so it would be madness to leave our biggest market for such an insignificant one (in relative terms).
  • edited 13 March 2017 at 2:12PM
    MobyMoby Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 March 2017 at 2:12PM
    Anyone know the constitutional position....can Sturgeon go ahead with a referendum even if the UK Govmt opposes it?
    Brexit: Voting to take back what we had never lost in order to lose everything we had.
    Madness!
  • Filo25Filo25 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand this argument that saying no will increase support for independence.

Please explain it in detail.

As far as I can tell the issue has been on the agenda of Scottish minds for 4 years or more, there will be little movement if any.

Also if they're told no, then there's no consequence from any possible uptick in support for it. Once the terms of Brexit are understood and the deal is actually in place it would be a more open and honest debate anyway rather than the faux outrage debate Sturgeon wants to have. A little bit of research and reading shows them up as the liars they are. I know all politicians lie, but these build a completely alternate reality.

To put it in a context that maybe might appeal to more of the users on here, how would you feel if the UK had voted to remain in the EU, and a few years later the UK government decided it wanted to have a second referendum but the EU said we couldn't. ;)

Its difficult to say that Scotland is a valued partner in the UK if you choose to ignore the wishes of its parliament when you don't agree with them.

If the SNP want a referendum and they can get it through the Scottish parliament then let them have it, although it should be paid for out of the Scottish budget.

There will come a point where the Scottish electorate are going to start punishing the SNP if they think they are taking the proverbial with endless demands for referenda.