Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    New year is off to a positive start, i downloaded some money apps, one to record spending and one to record savings, its pay day tomorrow and i actually already still have money in the bank, im so used to living pay day to pay day so its nice to have a buffer and a bit more control of my spending.

ive downloaded myfitnesspal and im recording all i eat (doing the 5:2 diet too) and exercise (im going to pay for a gym induction then payg as it works out cheaper with my discount card than actual membership, and go swimming as well)(

oh and good news for Pyxis (i think it was you?) i'm cutting out the pepsi max addiction and drinking green tea instead! :p

I'd like to lose 5st :eek: this year thats only 70lbs, and if i aim for 2lb a week should only take 35 weeks to get there.

Mood wise i am a little tiny bit up, but not to the point of a full blown episode. I'll keep an eye on it and if it gets any worse will make a trup to my GP.

That's brilliant, MU!

There were studies that showed that fizzy drinks and artificial sweeteners can lead to weight gain, so that will help!

And green tea has anti-oxidants, so win win!

By the way, I decided to take part in Dry January, as I was drinking too much alcohol and starting to get a bit dependent on it, and am now on my 5th day.

So High Five! vil-donne5.gif
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done Pyxis. I'm considering dry January. Then my next door neighbour came round with a bottle of wine to say thanks for doing their garden. It may be a dry-ish January.
    Anyone know how to improve will power?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd like to lose 5st :eek: this year thats only 70lbs, and if i aim for 2lb a week should only take 35 weeks to get there.

As great as it would be if you manage it in 35 weeks try not to get too hung up on losing 2lb every week. The only time I've ever been successful with a diet (I lost 5 stone in 11 months) I didn't focus on the total amount I wanted to lose, just set myself small targets and being relaxed about knowing that there would be some weeks where I'd gain a little back stopped me falling off the wagon.

I now, having put 2 stone back on, need to try to take my own advice...

Well done on the finances too.
    Pyxis wrote: »
    By the way, I decided to take part in Dry January, as I was drinking too much alcohol and starting to get a bit dependent on it, and am now on my 5th day.

Well done and good luck. IzHe's decided to try it as well because, even though he'd often only have a small beer, the number of days he was drinking had started to go up. We're both going to try to quit smoking again on Monday as well and not drinking should help that.

elsien wrote: »
    Anyone know how to improve will power?

Seeing as I'm an overweight smoker who drinks I think it's safe to say I struggle with willpower. If you find any please let me know how!
  • Solarjunkie
    Options
    My mother gave up smoking with the help of Terry Wogan on the radio! The most important thing he said was, you have already given up smoking. You have already gone 20 minutes/ an hour/ 2 hours since your last cigarette. None of that - omg this is my last smoke ever - that has already gone, you are already a non-smoker.
    Well done to everyone who is now saying, yes, I have done this for half an hour already, now to keep going! We also went somewhere completely different for the day, so the usual triggers were absent, which helped too.
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I didn't even realise (or remember, I suppose) about dry January until after I'd had a small Baileys on new year's day, but since I average under one unit of alcohol a day I'm not worrying about it.

Only reason for me not to drink is calories, I'd like to be a 34" waist again :(
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Monring my lovelies,

Hugs, handshakes and squishes all round.

Hope everyone is well as a bit quiet in here.

Not feeling good mentally today. No idea why I have got down. Not dressed or showered yet. Or even taken the dog out. Bet he is crossing his legs.

Last night I tripped and fell up the stairs. Thought that hurt. Not until later did I find out that I had cracked a toe nail from the top until half way down the side. Only the nail bed keeping it on. So looks like I am going to wear socks all the time :rotfl:

Ok one question. How deal with people being over generous. AM parents bought me some boots. Too small so took them back and changed for bigger size. I said you are going to let me pay for them. His dad said yes. but when the time came due to get a refund sorted and buying something else I did not get chance to pay. And when I said to AM about it and he mentioned it to his parents. They said oh its an extra christmas present. Its very kind and generous. But I am not really comfortable about it.

Right time to get dressed and take the dog out.

Anyone here drink red wine and can tell me a decent one. As want to gift someone a bottle of red wine for a favor they did.

A waved out to the MIA's I hope you are well just busy.

Everyone take care

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Izadora
    Options
    Calley, I don't know what it's like where you are but it's really grey and miserable here. Adding that to the 'Oh well, Christmas is definitely over' now that all decorations are down and it's enough to leave anyone feeling a bit flat.

Ouch about the toe nail, I hope it heals up soon.

I don't know that it's possible to stop people being too generous, certainly not without risking offending them. I think all you can do is accept that they wanted to do something nice for you and thank them for it.

Red wine will come down to personal taste - do you know if they like a particular type / full-bodied etc.? - but if you give me a rough idea of budget I can tell you what I'd get for my dad/IzHe as they both like red.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    Calley, I don't know what it's like where you are but it's really grey and miserable here. Adding that to the 'Oh well, Christmas is definitely over' now that all decorations are down and it's enough to leave anyone feeling a bit flat.

Its grey and cold today. The corner where the christmas tree was does look very bare

Ouch about the toe nail, I hope it heals up soon.

me too. I am just clumsy :rotfl:
    I don't know that it's possible to stop people being too generous, certainly not without risking offending them. I think all you can do is accept that they wanted to do something nice for you and thank them for it.

I don't want to offend them. Just not use to it. My own family don't do it. So find it a little bit uncomfortable. If its a low cost item fine. But this was £25. I often take flowers or a plant when we go to see them as they fed us sunday lunch as well. I took nothing yesterday. So better next time we go up there to see them.
    Red wine will come down to personal taste - do you know if they like a particular type / full-bodied etc.? - but if you give me a rough idea of budget I can tell you what I'd get for my dad/IzHe as they both like red.

Cool. Thanks for that. I don't. There reply was I like red wine :rotfl: I am looking about £10ish a bottle. This was person who gave the starwars VR ticket to AM. The cost of the two tickets was about £65. So want to get something decent. And a couple of bottles.

Thanks again

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    cally, I love red wine. I am a naked angel!!!!! (Naked are an online wine company, and angels have a regular subscription there lol) Naked wines are lush, but it's probably too much faff to join just to give a gift.

Alternatively I find Lidl wines are really brill VFM. My favourite there is Australian Merlot (with a yellow label) but this is less than a fiver. I think you could trust them if you just bought a more expensive bottle there, that it would be much better quality than you would get in other places. (Their rhubarb and ginger gin is also rather good :o )
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Izadora
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    I don't want to offend them. Just not use to it. My own family don't do it. So find it a little bit uncomfortable. If its a low cost item fine. But this was £25. I often take flowers or a plant when we go to see them as they fed us sunday lunch as well. I took nothing yesterday. So better next time we go up there to see them.

I understand why it would make you uncomfortable but if they're anything like my mum (IzHe's sometimes uncomfortable with the way she spoils us) then it's easier if you just accept that it's coming from a lovely place and it's something which makes them happy. It sounds like you do nice things for them too and I'm sure they appreciate it and the boots are probabaly their way of showing that.
    calleyw wrote: »
    Cool. Thanks for that. I don't. There reply was I like red wine :rotfl: I am looking about £10ish a bottle. This was person who gave the starwars VR ticket to AM. The cost of the two tickets was about £65. So want to get something decent. And a couple of bottles.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-morador-malbec--taste-the-difference-75cl

That's well within your budget and currently IzHe's favourite wine.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/289221866

It's a little bit above your budget but one of my dad's favourite wines.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/oyster-bay-pinot-noir-75cl

This would be a bit lighter than the other two. I love their Sauvignon Blanc so Izhe tried this when it was on offer and enjoyed it.

I don't really drink red anymore but when I did I used to like Australian Shiraz. I can't remember the exact brand but I would've thought anything around the £10 would be perfectly drinkable.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback