Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• Waves_and_Smiles
    Options
    Torry, try to hold on to the fact that you know that you and your husband are united eternally, nothing can break that even if you are in 'different rooms' now. This is so hard for you, I wish I could take your pain away but that would seem unfair in a way because the strength of your pain comes from the strength of your love for your dear husband. One day at a time my friend, we are all here for you.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 5 April 2018 at 5:42PM
    Options
    Hello all! Hugs and warm handshakes to all who need them.

I thought I should tell you my news-I have a job! Yes really, me who was terrified to work in case I failed spectacularly again and said she would never risk employment has a very tiny little job.

I am now going to be a volunteer Crisis Responder on a mental health website for mainly teenagers (but anyone can contact us. Think the Samaritans but online). I have just begun the training which is 40 hours, I will then work for just 4 hours a week. After a year of this I have the opportunity to increase my hours and possibly go to paid employment (Eeeek!). They are aware of my mental health problems and have bent over backwards with the hours, I can change my shifts weekly to any time I choose so if I am having a bad few days I do not have to work. They even got sponsorship for me so the training and background checks are free as long as I make a commitment, for some unknown reason they really want me to work for them. Also, this results in certification which is transferable to other mental health organisations, I will come out of it with a modern qualification that I can use elsewhere.

I am half excited and half terrified but this is what I have always wanted to do, to try to use my own experiences to help others and I have missed doing it since I have been unwell.

So this is me getting back on the horse I fell off years ago and trying again. It doesn't seem quite real yet...
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    WaS,

How fab. I am excited on your behalf.

Don't rush and take your time. Also make sure that DWP know what you are doing as well.

I am so happy for you.

Hugs and squishes and handshakes all round

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello all! Hugs and warm handshakes to all who need them.

I thought I should tell you my news-I have a job! Yes really, me who was terrified to work in case I failed spectacularly again and said she would never risk employment has a very tiny little job.

I am now going to be a volunteer Crisis Responder on a mental health website for mainly teenagers (but anyone can contact us. Think the Samaritans but online). I have just begun the training which is 40 hours, I will then work for just 4 hours a week. After a year of this I have the opportunity to increase my hours and possibly go to paid employment (Eeeek!). They are aware of my mental health problems and have bent over backwards with the hours, I can change my shifts weekly to any time I choose so if I am having a bad few days I do not have to work. They even got sponsorship for me so the training and background checks are free as long as I make a commitment, for some unknown reason they really want me to work for them. Also, this results in certification which is transferable to other mental health organisations, I will come out of it with a modern qualification that I can use elsewhere.

I am half excited and half terrified but this is what I have always wanted to do, to try to use my own experiences to help others and I have missed doing it since I have been unwell.

So this is me getting back on the horse I fell off years ago and trying again. It doesn't seem quite real yet...

That's fantastic, WaS!

No-one better suited to that!
    And they obviously really want you as they are bending over backwards to accommodate you, which is super!

It's a really good way for you to slowly, slowly ease back in to a mini-'working' environment, isn't it! And you can do it all from home! :j
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WaS

That is wonderful news and I am so pleased for you.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wonderful news WaS! You are an excellent candidate for that sort of work xx
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    WaS Well done ! :j So pleased for you,am sure you will do a fantastic job and help lots of people.Teenagers who are too scared to talk to someone in person might find it easier to open up on line and am sure you will be kept busy.Also it is lovely to have an update you are missed on here after all this thread would not exist without you.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    WaS that's really good news. The people will be fortunate to have you.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a psychologist so rather anxious.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Torry, I love the being in different rooms description, and hope it helps you too xxxx

WaS - I am so so so so so pleased. Both for you (and of course you deserve it a million times over) and to think there is a mental health organisation out there which is so good and supportive, and can see your skills and potential. It really makes my heart glow! xxx
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    WaS that's really good news. The people will be fortunate to have you.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a psychologist so rather anxious.

That's understandable. :A

I'm sure it will be fine, though.

Let's hope they can offer some help.

Do let us know how you get on.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure