Lifetime ISAs guide

Options

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can transfer a Cash LISA into a S&S LISA (or the other way around) using the new provider's LISA transfer process without paying the early withdrawal penalty.

However this is only if you can find a new LISA provider accepting inbound LISA transfers at the time.

If you transferred to another type of ISA the early withdrawal penalty would apply.

Alex
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    You can transfer a Cash LISA into a S&S LISA (or the other way around) using the new provider's LISA transfer process without paying the early withdrawal penalty.

However this is only if you can find a new LISA provider accepting inbound LISA transfers at the time.

If you transferred to another type of ISA the early withdrawal penalty would apply.

Alex

Thanks. So if i buy a home before the max age allowed on this type of ISA (I think it was 50 or 60, but say I wanted to use the funds at age 22), I wouldn't have to pay the fee?
  • Alexland
    Options
    With a Lifetime ISA you can open it until age 40, contribute until age 50 and access without penalty from age 60.

The only exception to the early withdrawal penalty is if your solicitor draws the money towards a qualifying first time property purchase.

I suggest you read the terms carefully but the key terms are that you need to be a first time buyer, buying a property you intend to live in worth no more than £450k and the LISA account needs to have been open 12 months from the initial contribution.

https://www.gov.uk/lifetime-isa

Alex
  • shamin
    shamin Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I put in £4k in one year and then potentially never again and cash in on £5k (£4k + gov £1k) at retirement?
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Options
    shamin wrote: »
    Can I put in £4k in one year and then potentially never again and cash in on £5k (£4k + gov £1k) at retirement?
    Yes you can.

Note that the 25% on the £4k will be added to your account within 1 year of depositing the £4k.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,340 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can, but this may not represent a very good return over the 20+ years the money is locked away. The 25% bonus alone is equivalent to a savings rate of just 1.1% over 20 years, so the interest rate or growth rate of investments would still need to be fairly good to compete with alternatives.
  • Alexland
    Options

As above this would be a terrible idea because of inflation. £5k + tiny interest in 20 years would not buy you what £4k would get you now. If you are using a LISA for retirement the 'safest' option to maintain your spending power would be a sensible S&S based LISA investment.

Alex
  • anderton46
    Options
    Can I use some of my LISA for a house, and then continue saving for retirement
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,340 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    anderton46 wrote: »
    Can I use some of my LISA for a house, and then continue saving for retirement
    Yes, once you make the penalty free withdrawal from your (presumably) cash LISA for the house purchase, it would be advisable to transfer the remaining balance to a S&S LISA for retirement, since this will become a long-term investment.
  • Wikikenkey
    Options
    Hi - Am I right in thinking that if I opened a Lifetime ISA today with a £1 and deposited £4000 in the account sometime late March this year, I should receive £1000 bonus sometime in July this year? For my next bonus of £1000 I would need to deposit another £4000 by April 2020?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback