Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lidl Deluxe Blackcurrant and Vanilla pyramid teabags. Taste is ok but like all these "upmarket" teabags quite overpriced. Dubious that it says on the packaging that they are biodegradable but the pyramid mesh looks awfully like some kind of plastic to me so it's not going into my garden compost until I find more info.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 April 2016 at 10:51AM
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    And where is this available please?

There are 4 packs of Diet Greek-style yogurt in both Lidl & Aldi.

IIRC...

Aldi's come in 2 types:-

- Strawberry, Lemon, Coconut (& ISTR Toffee a while back).
    - Layered (fruit layer on the bottom) in: Strawberry, Cherry, Peach/Honey.

Lidl: Strawberry, Lemon, Coconut.

These are all 4 individual pots for 89p. If there is a new large pot, I've not seen it yet.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 April 2016 at 12:20PM
    Options
    We enjoyed Aldi's 'cook it yourself' chicken en croute ,at the weekend. There was juicy chicken, tasty cheese and a little bacon in the puff pastry parcels,which were light and fluffy.

My husband is usually fussy, preferring plain food, but he said these were very pleasant.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Valley Spires Cottage cheese. One of the few products that I don't like from Aldi. The Onion and herb one we tried was so runny and loose that I had to drain a lot of it off before putting it on crispbread. Not a nice flavour either, I threw the rest out, which is VERY unusual for me! Back to Losely Farm cottage cheese for me...
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The past few days, I wanting to buy Aldi's Benefit 70 calorie bars - the chocolate one. Been to three different Aldis. All the cases left on the shelf had loads of Apple and Sultana left and about an average of 2 packs of Summer Fruits per case.

The problem with mixed flavour cases is that Aldi cannot track which ones are selling well and which ones the sales are poor. Then the cases have equal numbers of each flavour

Aldi need to get rid of the Apple n Sultana and put the other two flavours separately. They do it with their Wacko bars - chocolate and caramel.

There are a couple more examples of where two of the three flavours sell well and the other one sells very little. I think I saw one of the large bags of crisps

Loads of empty cardboard shippers which customers throw onto the floor. All it needs is a customer to slip on one and injure themselves.

Again, no increase in the number of smaller trolleys. People with mobility issues and, for me, I use a smaller trolley for budgeting, use smaller trolleys
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Valley Spires Cottage cheese. One of the few products that I don't like from Aldi. .

Valley Spire is a Lidl own-brand -not Aldi ?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The past few days, I wanting to buy Aldi's Benefit 70 calorie bars - the chocolate one. Been to three different Aldis. All the cases left on the shelf had loads of Apple and Sultana left and about an average of 2 packs of Summer Fruits per case.

The problem with mixed flavour cases is that Aldi cannot track which ones are selling well and which ones the sales are poor. Then the cases have equal numbers of each flavour

Aldi need to get rid of the Apple n Sultana and put the other two flavours separately. They do it with their Wacko bars - chocolate and caramel.

There are a couple more examples of where two of the three flavours sell well and the other one sells very little. I think I saw one of the large bags of crisps

Loads of empty cardboard shippers which customers throw onto the floor. All it needs is a customer to slip on one and injure themselves.
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Valley Spires Cottage cheese. One of the few products that I don't like from Aldi. The Onion and herb one we tried was so runny and loose that I had to drain a lot of it off before putting it on crispbread. Not a nice flavour either, I threw the rest out, which is VERY unusual for me! Back to Losely Farm cottage cheese for me...

Linking both posts, exactly the same thing happens with the cottage cheese in my Aldi. It's always a huge mess (which I tidy up every week:o) as people have rifled through to pick out the natural cottage cheese on the mixed trays.

The cottage cheese says 'The Cheese Emporium' on it and the natural flavour is great and not runny. I'm not keen on the flavoured ones though and I find the plain more versatile.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Linking both posts, exactly the same thing happens with the cottage cheese in my Aldi. It's always a huge mess (which I tidy up every week:o) as people have rifled through to pick out the natural cottage cheese on the mixed trays.

The cottage cheese says 'The Cheese Emporium' on it and the natural flavour is great and not runny. I'm not keen on the flavoured ones though and I find the plain more versatile.

Aldi need to put the natural one on its own line with the flavours on mixed line.

May need to ring customer careline to suggest mine and the cottage cheese
  • CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes the same thing with the yogurts... always a real mess where everyone rummaged through for specific flavours (isn't rummaged a brilliant word!!!;))
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like it needed a member of staff to collect the empty boxes.

Would be easier if the boxes weren't used for 2 types of the same product eg the cottage cheese.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure