Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    Valley Spire is a Lidl own-brand -not Aldi ?
    Oops! sorry, thanks for pointing that out. I've also realised that it's labelled Onion and Chive. Must check before posting in future.:)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    The whole ethos of Aldi is to offer several varieties within the same POS. That's their entire selling point. They don't need endless miles of shelf space just to sell one item, unlike the big 4.

True Aldi shoppers know how to shop, and will continue doing so. The few stragglers that complain are neither here nor there. Serious complaints are dealt with promptly.

But how come they have separate POS for their biscuits? They could easily put their Wackos into one POS, as both versions are probably have equal-ish sales.

With mixed cases, the staff will only put out a new case if there room for one on the shelf, not when 3 cases are still loaded with one flavour which doesn't shift, Probably due to the lack of technology in the stock side of things, they have no facility to report the poor selling lines within a line.

Do they put tubs of natural yoghurt mixed with flavoured? No they don't. Plain cottage cheese, like plain yoghurt is used for both for cooking and as a side accompaniment. Hence why Aldi always sell out. Whereas, flavoured ones are more used as an accompaniment - well some versions of flavoured cottage cheese can be used for cooking such as chive n onion.

If you visit any other supermarket, you will see there is a bigger area of the chillers for the plain cottage cheese.

When I do need cottage cheese, I buy Asda's smart price tub for 64p and I never seen the product out of stock. I rather pay a little more for something which I know is guaranteed.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    The whole ethos of Aldi is to offer several varieties within the same POS. That's their entire selling point.

I think that's a bit strong. It's not rocket-science-y enough to be the "way of life" that you're suggesting. It is something that saves them time, effort and consequently money for those stock lines where it makes sense.

It'd be interesting to know whether they give different variants in a common outer different barcodes. That way, they could easily assess the correct mix of varieties to fine-tune it to customer demand, or split the line into multiple stock lines, if required.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's a goldmine of ideas here for Aldi management.
    But regrettably they're like every other big company, driven by artificial internal targets, rather than allowing listening to the frontline workers & common sense management to prevail.
  • System
    edited 30 April 2016 at 11:27AM
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to know whether they give different variants in a common outer different barcodes. That way, they could easily assess the correct mix of varieties to fine-tune it to customer demand, or split the line into multiple stock lines, if required.

I think not as if you buy some items from mixed cases, the product on the receipt will list every item on the case. Or just list the name of the whole case. Plus all flavours have the same number/sku as have bought two different flavours from the same case before and entries for both were the same

For example, the bags of gummy sweets for 33p come up as Cola/Teeth/Gummy/Cherry on the receipt - I picked up another receipt when I was packing.

I bought some Blueberry Wheats which are in the same case as the apricot ones and says on the receipt Fruit Wheats..

If in the example of the Fruit Wheats, if Aldi had separate sales for both, each flavour would have its own number or listed on the receipts 'the actual flavour

The main thing is, if Aldi was able to track the sales of individual fflavours, they would drop the poor selling ones, increase the proportion of the better selling ones per case or give a falvour its own case,
  • Cornucopia
    edited 30 April 2016 at 12:24PM
    Options
    Yes, you're right about the receipts.

The only products I have in the cupboard that could be like this are two packs of Soupreme soup in a cup. The bar codes are visibly similar, but different. When I scan them with my phone, two different numbers come up. However, I don't know if the two flavours (Chicken & Veg and the excellent Tomato & Basil) are from a single stock line.

I would be surprised if Aldi till & stock system could not combine multiple barcodes into a single stock line/price point, but still track sales separately. Without that capability, I would have thought that these multi-variety lines would be too much of a liability to their business.
  • System
    Options
    Just to let you know. Visited a Lidl today and their plain cottage cheese is on one case - normal and low fat and their flavours on another. Take note Aldi

Also bought a couple of their lines in mixed cases and on the receipt, it does mention the flavour.

Has anyone here bought their Hatherwood beer range?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What I like about this thread is that no one faffs about with Aldipops or Lidlydiddly or some such nonsense
    Hopefully they'll come on and note the suggestions
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Id just like to say I shop at both Aldipops and Lidlydiddly but sometimes go to Asdawasda too.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    I should Tescococo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts