Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Well, I always save my Aldi receipts so will always have proof I was parked legitimately. There was one occasion my car broke down in the car park and I had to await a recovery truck. As a result, I exceded the 90min parking limit by at least an hour. The cheeky parking people only sent me a PCN with a cropped photo of my car's number plate as it was leaving the car park backwards whilst loaded on a recovery trailer!! :rotfl:

Needless to say, I appealed their idiotic PCN and they withdrew it sharpish lol
    Glad it's not just me that's broken down in Aldi's car park! My car was loaded onto back of a truck so maybe they think I'm still in there!:rotfl:
  • sunflowersuffolk
    Options
    Love this thread, very useful, thanks.

I got some Petit Chebra goats cheese from Lidl, 180g, it is really lovely and creamy and not as strong as some, can't remember price, I think it was about £1.80.

I love the Lidl full fat 500g bucket of Greek style Milbona Yoghurt at £1.30 a bargain.

I got a reclining garden chair from Aldi last week, £28.99 very comfortable and seems well made. Now Lidl have very similar Florabest Aluminium at same price. May get another.
  • sunflowersuffolk
    Options
    I've also had the Aldi Rich Indulgent Carrot & Walnut cake, approx £1.75. It is really very good, tastes quite home made, worth a bit more money.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another thing I seen many customers do is to go to a checkout with the sign in red as cashier is leaving and they have a go at the poor cashier.

Has anyone else had seen customers in both Aldi and Lidl do this?
    No, but checkout staff at the "new" Lidl always ask whether customers are using the car park and then note the customers reg no. It's all electronically linked to the cameras, as I once went in with a hire car and could only remember the first part of the reg....was then asked what vehicle it was, and lo and behold they identified the car asap. Kudos to Lidl!

The car park is always choccer BUT customers waiting in turn find spaces within a matter of minutes, as throughput is so fast. Works well IMO.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Aldi do manchego cheese, excellent value and really good cheese.

Lidl specials last week were Spanish food. In the frozen section they had tapas of meatballs and chicken stew. At £3.49 for two this was a little expensive, but they came in little clay bowls, which are great for future use and a perfect size for baling Camembert.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When Indian Week comes back at Lidl, something I can recommend: Kohinoor's 1 portion curries, ready cooked for 99 p I think they were. Lovely flavour, no beastly hidden ingredients, made in India, the real deal. The only thing is that they could be a bit bigger, so we propped them up with more cooked potatoes and fresh spinach. If you have them with rice or Naan they might be big enough for 1. Can't wait for them to come back in.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    No, but checkout staff at the "new" Lidl always ask whether customers are using the car park and then note the customers reg no. It's all electronically linked to the cameras, as I once went in with a hire car and could only remember the first part of the reg....was then asked what vehicle it was, and lo and behold they identified the car asap. Kudos to Lidl!

The car park is always choccer BUT customers waiting in turn find spaces within a matter of minutes, as throughput is so fast. Works well IMO.

I wasn't asked my reg. Though what do they do with those last sods that don't park in proper bays? Should be fined imo. The Lidl I went the past three visits, has a large area with no bays, bays are painted around the borders.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Popped into Aldi this evening to pick up a few bits on the way home and came out £120 lighter :rotfl:

Well, it has been a couple of months since I last shopped there ;)

Plus there appears to be lots of new lines added so a far greater choice of fresh produce, meat, fish and dairy. Picked up some sea bass fillets, ribeye steaks, pork tenderloin, continental meats, anti-pasti delicatessen, Greek kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, grilled peppers, artichokes etc as well as lots of seasonal fruit & vegetables.

I also noticed the cottage cheese was all plain variety, no flavours. Shame the same couldn't be said about the soda water. Why do they shove it in the centre of tonic and and whatever the third variety is. I could only retrieve a couple of bottles safely from three racks down without causing an avalanche of bottles. Other people before me had left the stack completely unsafe :(
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I spotted a lot of what you spotted Feral Moon, Aldi is definitely introducing some more upmarket stuff.
    I have a hand-made savoury tart to try, new range.

I also tried their mini bottles of lassi, one conventional mango, the other strawberry & blueberry. Loved them both.

There was some reduced fat creme fraiche but no British quark, which was a shame, as it's lovely.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    I spotted a lot of what you spotted Feral Moon, Aldi is definitely introducing some more upmarket stuff.
    I have a hand-made savoury tart to try, new range.

I also tried their mini bottles of lassi, one conventional mango, the other strawberry & blueberry. Loved them both.

There was some reduced fat creme fraiche but no British quark, which was a shame, as it's lovely.

Yeah, I went in there with a basic list of essentials expecting to spend around £50 but came out having more than doubled it but having got almost everything I need for a months's shopping. This also means I don't need to go to other supermarkets in search of missing ingredients. The only things I'll need to buy over the next few weeks are fresh bread & milk and maybe some extra salad veg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure