Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Usually go for their Scottish Morning Rolls at 17p.
    Went in mainly for the Polo shirts, didn't buy seemed a bit thin.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 August 2018 at 5:58PM
    Options
    I went into Lidl the other day in a hurry, and quickly grabbed the first frozen ready meal I could find that didn't have a shedload of salt. I ended up with 65p Spaghetti Bolognese, which I probably wouldn't normally buy. Having eaten it now, it was pretty good. Visible pieces of tomato, a rich sauce, but not too greasy and a decent portion of both sauce and pasta. Excellent VFM.

Also, new product at Aldi:-

Quinoa Bites (baked crisps made with Quinoa). Probably something of a gimmick, especially since quinoa is supplemented with other starchy ingredients. However, they are quite tasty with a texture a bit like the classic Smith's Chipsticks.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Twitter was going mad for the Halloumi fries so I asked Aldi if they are gluten free and sadly, they aren't.

Tip for the non-food items, have a look on the Aldi website as often you can buy the stuff online. I've had a garden sphere, glass bird bath. a canvas wall art thing and a jute pouffe so far.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Twitter was going mad for the Halloumi fries so I asked Aldi if they are gluten free and sadly, they aren't.

Tip for the non-food items, have a look on the Aldi website as often you can buy the stuff online. I've had a garden sphere, glass bird bath. a canvas wall art thing and a jute pouffe so far.

Why not just make your own? I'm intrigued as to how or why anywhere would actually sell them pre-made. Or are they pre-cooked then frozen and you just re-heat at home? Seems incredibly pointless and extremely lazy, if you ask me. At least buying frozen chips saves peeling and chopping, but cutting halloumi into chips takes literally 30 seconds :rotfl:
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    FTBNow wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the Aldi halloumi fries: found them a bit rubbery.

Ermmmm halloumi IS rubbery :rotfl:

Ok, read a few more posts now in an attempt to find out more of what these halloumi fries are all about and quite frankly, I'm amazed at all the fuss!

Why not just make your own? Block of halloumi cut into chips, roll in flour and deep fry! What on earth could be simpler :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

Ok, read a few more posts now in an attempt to find out more of what these halloumi fries are all about and quite frankly, I'm amazed at all the fuss!

Why not just make your own? Block of halloumi cut into chips, roll in flour and deep fry! What on earth could be simpler :rotfl:
    Not very simple if you don't have a deep fat fryer...
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

Pollycat wrote: »
    Not very simple if you don't have a deep fat fryer...
    Because a product that is only 70% fat needs to be nudged further up to 100% ;)

I put a couple of boxes of frozen the pide in my trolley yesterday, 2 in a pack and reduced by 30% so 65p each. They tasted ok, but I think the equivalent bread products in the fresh bakery section are probably a better product at a better price. However, as I found yesterday, these pide have the unique advantage of being available to serve as a snack in 15 minutes flat when unexpected guests drop by and you have had a few. By that point the taste matters far less than its munchie-slaying qualities :D

ETA: the Milbona yoghurts I liked seem to have gone awol. Where they just a seasonal wonder?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In my Lidl today they have the John West Tuna Infusions basil flavour for £1.27. Think they are on offer in Morrisons at two for £2.50, but the usual price is £1.68
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We bought some strawberries and cherries from Lidl this week.

The strawberries were hard, not very juicy and very acidic, they ended up in the bin. The cherries, I am pleased to report, were very good. They had a lovely flavour and were juicy. Our other supermarkets said they weren't getting any more cherries this year but Lidl said they would have them for at least 6 weeks.

Do Lidl have a magic cherry tree :rotfl:
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got a bag of potatoes from Lidl yesterday they looked perfect but as soon as a peeler hit them they were all black inside.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure