Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sapphire wrote: »
    That is indeed true. From people I've talked to who have offspring in their twenties and even thirties, many of these children (including some in my family!) – despite having a 'uni' education and being quite bright – appear to have little drive, and like to stick around in their parents' homes. This is really counter-productive – there was a time when you just knew you had to work to survive as soon as you left school, even if you worked in some menial and 'boring' job. Actually, such jobs can be a good school in life (I worked in things like a shoe shop, Woolworths and a pub for a while and thoroughly enjoyed it and learned from it), and give people the opportunity to meet others and take off into 'better' things. The trouble is that some of the above mentioned children don't have to work – and not working is even causing emotional problems in some cases due to empty time and no sense of purpose. Everyone needs to have a purpose, no matter if it's 'just' working at fruit picking, or in a cafe, and so on, and such experience in life can lead to other things. Perhaps the education system is lacking in that it doesn't instil a need to work in some children, as the Polish system and probably Poles' 'family values' certainly do in Poles, for example? I also think it's a mistake for everyone to go to 'uni' (only a small proportion did so until a few decades ago), and that apprenticeships and/or on-the-job training would be far more beneficial to many people…

There is a lot of truth in this although many young people canot afford to buy or rent on the wages they get. While I agree there is a lack of work ethic, part of the problem is parents mollycuddle their offspring. When I was 10 I walked to school, these days many children expect to be chauferred there and many parents think it is normal. As to university I fully agree. A degree used to mean something, today it is becoming fairly meaningless unless it is a good degree, in a meaningful subject from a good university.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • iantojones40
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Do you appreciate how clueless this makes you sound? Are you planning to buy a house sometime in the future? Just so we have some background on you and understand your reasons for being so ignorant.

Why would I be wanting to buy a house sometime in the future?
    Just to satisfy your curiosity... I bought my house in 2000, when prices were sensible, my deposit was 35% and my mortgage was 2x my single, part-time wage and I paid it off in less than 10 years, all whilst still maintaining a comfortable lifestyle.
    Whilst my house may now be worth over 3x what I paid for it that means absolutely nothing to me and doesn't benefit me in anyway whatsoever.

I just find it rather sad and pathetic when people such as yourself who have just recently bought into the peak of the biggest property price bubble the country has ever seen then spend all their time on the internet desperately trying to convince the world that they've made a sound decision and they're not at all bothered about the fact that they're going to spend the rest of their working lives and unprecedented proportions of their incomes servicing their mortgage debt.
    If you at least admitted that you've had no choice but to allow yourself to be bent over, financially shafted and turned into a debt slave, I wouldn't mind so much, but it's the fact that you constantly try to convince yourself and others that you had some kind of free choice in the matter.

Now, do please explain why my previous post re buying woodland was so clueless...
  • MobileSaver
    Options
    recently bought into the peak of the biggest property price bubble the country has ever seen

"Recently"? Crashy and his HPC mates kept telling us the peak was in 2014, were they wrong?
    If you at least admitted that you've had no choice but to allow yourself to be bent over, financially shafted and turned into a debt slave

Or perhaps people just wanted to buy a home to live in and get on with their lives?
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would I be wanting to buy a house sometime in the future?
    Just to satisfy your curiosity... I bought my house in 2000, when prices were sensible, my deposit was 35% and my mortgage was 2x my single, part-time wage and I paid it off in less than 10 years, all whilst still maintaining a comfortable lifestyle.
    Whilst my house may now be worth over 3x what I paid for it that means absolutely nothing to me and doesn't benefit me in anyway whatsoever.

I just find it rather sad and pathetic when people such as yourself who have just recently bought into the peak of the biggest property price bubble the country has ever seen then spend all their time on the internet desperately trying to convince the world that they've made a sound decision and they're not at all bothered about the fact that they're going to spend the rest of their working lives and unprecedented proportions of their incomes servicing their mortgage debt.
    If you at least admitted that you've had no choice but to allow yourself to be bent over, financially shafted and turned into a debt slave, I wouldn't mind so much, but it's the fact that you constantly try to convince yourself and others that you had some kind of free choice in the matter.

Now, do please explain why my previous post re buying woodland was so clueless...

You're doing a good job of explaining it yourself 😀

I last bought in 2009 and paid the house off in 2014. Our new house will be paid off in 5 years and we intend to be here for 40 years so why would I care about the value of the house swinging up or down? I'm a man of a scientific mind and tend to use evidence to form my opinions. But braying around forums declaring things that are plain wrong... that's your forte, aligned perfectly with crash legend. Thumbs up!!!
  • iantojones40
    Options
    "Recently"? Crashy and his HPC mates kept telling us the peak was in 2014, were they wrong?

Or perhaps people just wanted to buy a home to live in and get on with[STRIKE] their lives[/STRIKE]?

I think you meant to say get on with spending the rest of their working lives and huge proportions of their incomes paying for it, whilst trying to convince themselves and the rest of the world that they had a choice in the matter.

The fact that Glasgowdan frequently feels the need to resort to abusive outbursts aimed at complete strangers on the internet and doesn't seem capable of engaging in a rational and reasoned debate perhaps suggests he has quite a lot of pent up frustration and anger as a result of the rather unfortunate position he finds himself now in.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yay! Well done! Good on you!

It's lovely to hear of someone buying their own little piece of countryside and nature and not worrying about the fact financially it won't actually prove profitable.

Thank you! It's a sound investment due to location/access but that wasn't the reason for buying it, it's the fact it's all mine, no people around and will be a weekend escape.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I think you meant to say get on with spending the rest of their working lives and huge proportions of their incomes paying for it, whilst trying to convince themselves and the rest of the world that they had a choice in the matter.

The fact that Glasgowdan frequently feels the need to resort to abusive outbursts aimed at complete strangers on the internet and doesn't seem capable of engaging in a rational and reasoned debate perhaps suggests he has quite a lot of pent up frustration and anger as a result of the rather unfortunate position he finds himself now in.

I've recently bought a house and I'm paying less on my mortgage than I was paying in rent, for a bigger place in a better location. So if I hadn't bought I'd be spending a larger proportion of my income with nothing to show for it. So I did have a choice, but a pretty easy one.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2016 at 9:19AM
    Options

What unfortunate position's that? The part where I own 70% of my new home, where mortgage payments are 13% of our take home pay and 1/3 that of similar rentals, where our mortgage will be paid off in 5 years, I'm self employed and work around 20hrs a week over the year or the part where I've the most beautiful wee boy the world has ever seen, a perfect wife and a baby girl due in 3 months?

My troll detector was beeping a long time ago, I know your ploy don't worry!
  • MobileSaver
    Options
    whilst trying to convince themselves and the rest of the world that they had a choice in the matter.

They did have a choice; they can either rent or buy.
    I think you meant to say get on with spending the rest of their working lives and huge proportions of their incomes paying for it,

Someone who decides to rent will literally spend the rest of their working lives paying for their home.

Someone who decides to buy has an end game... a point at which their home becomes their's, fully paid up and despite whatever else might happen they will always have a roof, their roof, over their heads. It's not rocket science.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    In theory this should happen but in practice will it? These firms will increasingly turn to automation rather than pay the wages.

the ONLY way that wages, over time, can rise is by increasing the value of the work i.e. by introducing productivity (e.g. automation).
    That's why we are rich : rather that 20 million farm labourers we have combined harvesters and crop picking machines : rather than people hand building cars we have robots : if you want to go back the the days when there was no automation you are looking at the standard of living in an African village.
    So with an increase in demand for labour both the price will rise and also automation / increased productivity will be introduced. That's the only way we can produce more goods and service per capita (per person in the country).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure