Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• Tromking
    Tromking Posts: 2,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mwpt wrote: »
    Ok, but the way you phrased your posts, it sounds as though if this was the case, it would be a price you would gladly pay. Which I don't understand.

No, you're not. But you sounded glad that it was the case. Why?

Why this borderline obsession with the mind set of your average Leave voter?
    Remain voter angst pleases me because so much of the Remainiac rhetoric was couched around their argument that theirs was the choice of the 'educated' and more progressive.
    “Britain- A friend to all, beholden to none”. 🇬🇧
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most countries throughout the world have registration requirements for immigrants. In the UK, non-EU immigrants should register each address change until they receive citizenship. Pre 90s the police could and did turn up in individuals doorsteps to check if paperwork did not seem in order. I'm not sure if they've given up on this nowadays due to sheer numbers.

Additionally, many countries even require all citizens to register every address change promptly and in person with the local authority. I had to in Belgium and by law my employer had to grant half a day off for this.

What's glaringly missing in the UK is an identity document for every adult, common in most EU countries. All adds to the draw of the UK as a great destination for 'grey area' immigration.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be equally as happy with single market access and the 4 freedoms. Doesn't matter that we won't have a say in it. We don't have a say in matters in the USA yet they account for ~15% of our exports.

I would be also happy with that :)
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    It is quite clear from the G20 talks that the USA and Japan are bluffing and both Country's are desperate to get on the Good side with Britain after Brexit.......so said a Brexit spokesperson.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-after-brexit
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • gfplux
    Options
    "However this clearly is rubbish" said a Brexit spokesperson.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/04/britain-japanese-brexit-letter-eu
    "The Japanese don't understand how good Brexit is for Japan" a Brexit spokesperson said.
  • gfplux
    edited 4 September 2016 at 8:24PM
    Options
    The independent said that anything in the Guardian should be taken as bias.
    This is the true position.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/japan-brexit-letter-eu-uk-g20-europe-great-turmoil-economy-a7224841.html

The Japanese government warns that the country's businesses with European headquarters in the UK may decide to transfer to Europe

And it comes with a clear warning that if those demands are not met, major companies such as Hitachi, Fujitsu and Nissan could move their European headquarters elsewhere - with serious implications for the 140,000 people employed by Japanese businesses in the UK.

A Brexit spokesperson said "it's all lies and bias"
    The spokesperson was last seen adjusting his tin foil hat.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/japan-brexit-letter-eu-uk-g20-europe-great-turmoil-economy-a7224841.html

The Japanese government warns that the country's businesses with European headquarters in the UK may decide to transfer to Europe

And it comes with a clear warning that if those demands are not met, major companies such as Hitachi, Fujitsu and Nissan could move their European headquarters elsewhere - with serious implications for the 140,000 people employed by Japanese businesses in the UK.

'may' is a very appropriate word

and The japanese car people do NOT employ 140,000 in their headquarters functions in the UK.

You seem to have omitted to comment on the IMF forecast for post brexit .
  • Kohoutek
    Kohoutek Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    Options
    Are you choosing to ignore Norway's requirements?
    but after three months, you must register with the Police in one of the following categories for your right to remain in Norway
    In summary, citizens of an EU/EEA country can come to Norway to look for work for up to six months. Once you find work, it is relatively straightforward to register and stay in Norway.

Registering with the police is hardly going to deter people. In some countries, you have to register with the police even if you are just a tourist, if you are not staying in a hotel.

The other requirement is an EU requirement, not a Norwegian one. The UK could remove people under this rule if it wished.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »

Oooh that's SO rich coming from Japan, a country that practically collapsing due to LACK of immigration. So xenophobic that it'll take another generation, if ever, for Japan to recognise that internationalism is a 2-way street.
  • Shakethedisease
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Oooh that's SO rich coming from Japan, a country that practically collapsing due to LACK of immigration. So xenophobic that it'll take another generation, if ever, for Japan to recognise that internationalism is a 2-way street.
    But what does that mean in practical terms in the case of Brexit though. Japan pulling business out of the UK ? That's probably the most important question as it's not like you can stop them.
    It all seems so stupid it makes me want to give up.
    But why should I give up, when it all seems so stupid ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure