Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• always_sunny
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    We will adapt in a billion ways and more, I don't fear change and evolution, let's embrace it, all will be well

Isn't the reason of the Brexit because eurosceptics didn't adapt and feared change and evolution? Seems like a paradox statement.
    EU expat working in London
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yamumuk wrote: »
    Of course Fujitsu is about Brexit, don't believe everything you read, an oft cited denial tactic that Brexit voters use.

Soap box speaker. What rubbish........
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    Sometimes I do wonder if people literally spend their lives under the ocean - are you telling me you are unaware of the campaigns and programmes by the likes of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall and Jamie Oliver that reveal growers leaving masses of perfectly good plums, apples, pears etc on the trees to rot? Or Supermarkets rejecting wonky parsnips and so on in vast numbers, again thrown away?

Maybe it's just me, but I constantly surf the TV and LBC radio and pick up these things.

Given it's now something like 15% more expensive to import such things, why not use British, and you can be sure firms will be - Supermarket wars will ensure this

I can hardly believe your optimistic view of the British consumer.
    In your ocean are you not aware of the failed experiments by British supermarkets to sell "misshapen fruit and veg? Are you not aware of the failed "buy British" campaigns?
    While I applauded these type of campaigns by personalitys sadly they have not managed to change the buying habits of the British public. I wish it would. Perhaps when inflation due to the weak pound begins to bite that might help.
    Second guessing the publics choices is very difficult. We should wait till next Spring to see if there is any progress.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 October 2016 at 11:26AM
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    I can hardly believe your optimistic view of the British consumer.
    In your ocean are you not aware of the failed experiments by British supermarkets to sell "misshapen fruit and veg? Are you not aware of the failed "buy British" campaigns?
    While I applauded these type of campaigns by personalitys sadly they have not managed to change the buying habits of the British public. I wish it would. Perhaps when inflation due to the weak pound begins to bite that might help.
    Second guessing the publics choices is very difficult. We should wait till next Spring to see if there is any progress.

Well I agree with most of that, all I'll say is I'm just not impressed by remainers constant running to the hills, terrified of new challenges an potential difficulties, instead of recognising a million new flowers will bloom, we'll find a way, life goes on. Economists have an appalling long term prediction record BUT REMAINERS SIMPLY WONT EVEN RESEARCH THIS POINT, to them they're all experts with awesome predictive records, madness.

I recall the fuming Sky News presenter woman on June 25th saying over and again 'are you going to apologise for collapse of the FTSE'. She simply was unable to comprehend it was likely to bounce back. Mindless.

Now it's booming she's switched her ill concealed irritation to focusing on the falling pound - really reluctant to acknowledge the booming FTSE 250, booming exports etc
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Do they? I suspect not. It's negotiated by the current Governments on behalf of.

Negotiating isn't the same as scrutinising.

The UK government is the only entity involved scheming to combine the roles.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Is it that simple though? French agriculture is geared to produce what the UK consumes and demands. Doesn't mean that someone in Latvia or Malta has the same requirement. Establishing supply and distribution chains isn't so easy either. Takes a long time. Writing off investment in the UK might not be palatable either.

I assume you mean investment in packaging and presentation suitable for UK supermarkets. That exact packaging is what is required by German and French Supermarkets and very important what Eastern European country's ASPIRE to.
    Obviously for French and Spanish farmers plus Dutch flower growers to open up new markets takes time but I can assure you they have already started the work.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Yamumuk wrote: »
    Brexit people a few questions...

1)What are you owed ?

2)Who owes it to you ?

3)Why are you owed it ?

What are you rabbiting on about?

As a nation we have to earn. We aren't entitled to.
  • Thrugelmir
    edited 12 October 2016 at 11:41AM
    Options
    I assume you mean investment in packaging and presentation suitable for UK supermarkets.

Product manufacture is far more complex. Taste, look, texture etc etc.

Marketing new product into established local ones isn't easy. All sorts of resistance. Just sticking a new product onto a supermarket shelf doesn't mean it will sell. Nor will supermarkets order vast quantities until they see it selling. Retailing is a tough environment in which to gain a foothold.
  • Conrad
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Obviously for French and Spanish farmers plus Dutch flower growers to open up new markets takes time but I can assure you they have already started the work.

Yes and I can be certain British cut flower growers will benefit where Dutch are loosing out due to currency.

France and Spain have endured years of grinding unemployment - couldn't you have let them know years ago that there was no need for this tragedy, as finding new markets is so simple
  • Conrad
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://www.businessforbritain.org/business-case/

The UK and the Single Market

In 2014 4.16% of SMEs are thought to have exported to the EU yet 100% of them must comply with EU regulations. Many of these regulations push up the cost of doing business and result in inflation being passed onto the consumer.

Approximately 70% of the UK’s exports, of both goods and services, take place under the free market trade rules of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), with average tariff rates at 3%. The remaining 30% take place under the rules of our only trade deal. Known as the Single Market, it covers the trade of goods, but not services, within the EU.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure