Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016

Options

Comments

• Pepperoni
    Options
    Thank you both. I've got the couch to 5k app ready and waiting on my phone! Just need to put some great music on my iphone, and once my trainers / clothes have arrived / been sorted then off I go!

Feel incredibly self conscious so intend to run in a private-ish area for my first few runs, then hoping after a week or so I won't care so much and will just run from my doorstep sort of thing!
    • [STRIKE]Credit Card: £2,989 / £2,989[/STRIKE]
    • Bank Loan: £12,000 / £14,000
  • MrsShazbat
    MrsShazbat Posts: 768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 September 2016 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Turns out I suck at this challenge :rotfl:

I'm such a sucker for clothes, especially when the sales are on. M&S had their yellow-label sale (last-gasp, non-returnable) on this week and I came out with £33.01-worth of shirts and a pair of trousers. I think at full price they would've come out at about £100! I'm just about to swap my clothes out for autumn/winter, despite the prospect of the late blast of warm September weather. Question is can I be bothered with eB*y or do I just go to the charity shop? I've sold about a dozen pairs of shoes/sandals having come to the realisation that certain heels are just not for me any more. With a bad back and recurring plantar fasciitis, it's getting harder and harder to wear them. I've got one pair of good old M&S heels now, plus a pair of heeled ankle boots, and even then I can't wear them two days in a row. I've splurged on more Clark's loafers (sale), brogues and flats (full price) to gradually replace my original pairs but for the time being will keep them "nice".

Does anyone have "best" clothes any more? I work at a university, and although they tried to implement a "no jeans" suggestion (we were told it wasn't a rule, and everyone ignored it anyway), I do tend to dress more casually these days. When hubby and I go out, unless it's a wedding or a funeral he only ever wears jeans (and joggers/casual trousers around the house, to the supermarket, etc plus he has the benefit of a uniform for work) and in recent times going out with the girls I've worn a dress and consequently felt over-dressed - even though we all started going out when you couldn't get into pubs and nightclubs wearing jeans! As I'm about to swap my clothes around, I look at my nice formal trousers that haven't seen the light of day for months, if not years, and wonder why I keep them (because I remember what the cost!). But I grew up, as you often do, with "best" clothes (we didn't have school uniform back in the day) and it's kind-of hard to not have those formal clothes to fall back on, even though I could probably put them in my suitcase for the winter and not miss them.
    SPCNo.17 #20 (16 £678; 15 £1120.92; 14 £416.53; 13 £191.52; 12 £260.48; 11 £480.95; 10 £682.31; 9 £442.64)
  • 32b3in2013
    32b3in2013 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pepperoni wrote: »
    Thank you both. I've got the couch to 5k app ready and waiting on my phone! Just need to put some great music on my iphone, and once my trainers / clothes have arrived / been sorted then off I go!

Feel incredibly self conscious so intend to run in a private-ish area for my first few runs, then hoping after a week or so I won't care so much and will just run from my doorstep sort of thing!

Hello

I failed on this clothing challenge in dramatic style months ago, but I still follow.

The couch to 5k is AMAZING :) don't worry about people looking at you, you are out there doing the same as them. I know everyone are all different but when I go out running I look at everybody else who is running with admiration as its not easy, but we all all still having a go.

good luck

32b3 xx
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    SPC10 #125 - £851.81
    SPC 11 #7 - £968.46
    SPC 12 #7 - £2682.90
    SPC 13 #7 - £4829.85
    SPC 14 #7 - £4173.30
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    morning all

I also run and started with the run walk intervals. and I couldnt run more than about a minute without stopping.Now I can run 10+ miles no problem :D I see people out running and at the gym who have just started and are a few lbs over weight and I always think good on you for having the guts just to do it as that is the hardest part I think.

I used to drive past runners and think 'god why would you do that must be mad'
    Now I think well done you and I wish I was out there running rather than stuck in this car :rotfl:How times change ;)

Talking of running I am going out today and will do about 8 miles (ish) So good luck to you start small and build up :D

Oh and have you checked out Tikiboo for your leggings ;) Oh no forget I said that :rotfl:

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    mavvymoo wrote: »
    morning all

Oh and have you checked out Tikiboo for your leggings ;) Oh no forget I said that :rotfl:

Mav x

We also all run differently, my running partner (who is faster than me but hey ho) prefers to keep going and speeds up when she gets fed up, whereas I tend to run / walk more but rarely am outside my times by much when I've had a good all the way run. That said, it's been a few weeks since we've been out, running for the bus might be a challenge ATM ...but I did manage a tripod headstand in yoga during the week (with the aid of a wall ) but surprised myself getting into it.

I think we should be on commission with Tikiboo...or at least staff discount :rotfl: that said, someone was asking about mine on Friday at the yoga studio. Best leggings I've had for staying up and not slipping down the crutch. Deff worth chancing them out pepperoni
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Rowan_moon
    Options
    Hello lovelies, I too have been missing for a while but that hasn't stopped me spending. I spent £21 on a new silk Made in Italy top, a Phase eight jumper and a Sandwich top and cardi set from the cs.

My job will have ended by December - the charity I work for had to tender for the contract and it went to another organisation. So now I'm looking for something else and also for a therapy centre to run my hypnotherapy practice from. Anyway onwards and upwards :)

Soon be time to put away summer clothes and get Autumn things out. I love the change of seasons when it's time to go shopping in the suitcases under the stairs :T
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 - 30/300
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't change my wardrobe around for seasons? I just have my same clothes out for the whole year.

I have a spend to confess, £21-odd on a jumpsuit from NL which I ordered with 20% off at the weekend

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/playsuits-and-jumpsuits/mela-orange-chevron-belted-jumpsuit-_389247699?extcam=UK_PPC_PLA_3892480_CR_39215888074_DV_c_PPI_143179035634&tmcampid=155&tmad=c&tmplaceref=UK_PPC_PLA_3892480_CR_39215888074_DV_c_PPI_143179035634&gclid=CImG7-OonM8CFYIK0wodIh4OIQ

I'll prob look like a 70's sofa in it and it will end up going back though.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• somerandom
    Options
    Kerri - love the jumpsuit!! In answer to your question - I wear different clothes and different times of the year & swap them around Autumn & Spring. There's a few items that I wear throughout the year -but not that many.

Rowan - I'm hoping that this will prove to be a fabulous fresh start for you. What area are you looking for a therapy centre in? Also - I don't know if this would be of interest to you - but I know an organisation that offers free mentoring to women working in the not-for-profit sector. I had some during the transition period from work to starting my business and found it really helpful. If you're interested let me know & I'll message you the details.
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    I have not checked in for a while - I was doing really well on not buying clothes or shoes until we went on holiday in August.
    I needed some shorts, a new handbag,shorts,summer dresses etc I spent £150 but everything was bought in sales.

Total £150.

I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm afraid I've rather lost track of how much I've spent. I lost my dog recently and bought some clothes around that time. Some were returned and now I can't remember what I added or took off. I'm going to have to approximate at £200 year to date and go from there.

Can I also ask some advice? I'm going to a wedding (never been to a wedding before in my life) and I'm unsure what to wear. I have a smart jacket (black with white pattern) that I was going to wear with a black top. I don't want to wear black trousers with that as it would then feel like a funeral outfit I think. Would these be acceptable at a registry office wedding? https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Grey-Skinny-Fit-Mid-Rise-Jean/130164433-Grey

What is usual for a registry office?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family