Frump to Fab 2016 - Lets make it AWESOME!!!

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 October 2016 at 3:50PM
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies......sorry I have been MIA these last few days. TBH I have been a bit melancholy (missing my husband) and lacking motivation. No real reason that I know of but as I too (snap Twinnie) haven't been sleeping too well I think tiredness has played it's part.

I think the journey through grief is not a straight forward linear progression, there are little blips along the way. Hey ho.

Fortunately I'm feeling more like my old self again, although some bad news on the family front. DAd is not doing too well, and my BIL is not too good either. Both need tests and investigations so at the moment it's just "wait and see" but given dad's age and frailty I am bracing myself for bad news. I doubt the medics can wave a magic wand this time. Not sure what's going on with BIL, he sees a consultant on Monday.

Hey ho.......all part of life's rich tapestry....

On a lighter note....DS2 is dating.......(at last) :rotfl: she's lovely so keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Fabwise......I'm doing ok, I bought myself a new mirror on a stand today. The previous one was a cheapie from Ikea and it was useless. It used to wobble about whilst I was trying to put my Make up on. :rotfl:

I had a mooch round Sainsbury's and tried on a couple of sweaters but didn't like them enough to buy them. I did however buy myself a large purple floppy hat.:D

DS2's wedding perhaps??? :rotfl::rotfl:

Ps. Hi Swishy.....welcome.

PPs Sugarbaby - Portuguese lunch sounds fab.......I did something vaguely Portuguese with chicken thighs and chorizo sausage for supper last night. It was delicious even if I do say so myself.

Your karaoke sessions sound such fun.
  • Carmen
    Carmen Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sugar, I,m interested to know what type of music you sing at the karaoke?

Ells, we all have unfab days, that is the beauty of this medium :rotfl:

Twinnie, so sorry to hear you had a melancholy phase and now the concern about you father and BinL ((hugs))

A chilly day today, I wore long trousers and thickish cardigan for the first time since the spring.

I spent a couple of hours peeling,blanching and freezing parsnips, the neighbour has a glut of them:)
    Dinner all prepared and will be finished with before Bake off starts...semi final tonight.

Have a lovely evening ladies.

Carmen x
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems a backward step to cancel the karaoke when it was so successful sugarbaby. Maybe they'll reconsider. Glad you got your weekly dose in yesterday though.:)

I suppose there is a downside to everywhere chanie. When I was starting work London prices were much more affordable and plenty of jobs. Some of my colleagues who settled in then unfashionable places like Fulham and Camden now have hugely valuable properties. All my aunts rented and were offered their properties to buy but all said no. They lived in Earls Court, South Kensington and Earlsfield. If only they'd said yes!!

Sorry to hear you've been having problems LL but glad to see you posting:).

I've bought myself a denim skirt today. It was reduced to £10 in Oasis at Debenhams. I didn't try it on so we'll have to see if it's a keeper. I only went into the city to buy a nice birthday card for a friend so no time really for browsing. If I'm honest I could probably manage this winter with nothing more but it's sometimes good to look.;)

Still not really wintry here. It's been bright and mild today and only a short jacket needed with my jeans. It'll be Christmas before we know it!:eek:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Maman I bought a denim button-through above-knee skirt in the T3sco sale, and brought out a light denim knee-length skirt that I've had gr years - both have been worn several times over the last few weeks, and will be great with thick tights & knee boots in winter :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ll sorry to read you've been feeling down,but pleased you are on the mend I hope the medical tests are good news and that DS2s relationship is a happy one.

carmen well done on the parsnips. You've reminded me that I have some carrots to freeze.

maman fingers crossed your denim skirt is a keeper. I'm still on the hunt. I want one that can be dressed up and preferably without buttons down the front. I bought one a couple of years ago, but it wasn't quite right and so I've rarely worn it (plus it doesn't fit now).

floss I think your skirts will look lovely with opaque tight and boots.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Carmen I do not have a big repertoire of songs that I sing at Karaoke. I just recycle a few songs. On Tuesday I sang: Return to Sender by Elvis, Dream Lover by Bobby Darin, Hurt So Good by Susan Cadogan, Fever by Peggy Lee and Lean On Me by Bill Withers.

I do sing other songs apart from these 5 songs. :)

On occasion I will try singing a new song, but then I become really self conscious and do not sing as well. I find it hard to learn songs as well. ;)

I bought myself new 'sexy' black leather Clarks boots on eBay yesterday. I got them for half the price I would have paid for them in a Clarks shop. :T I will still have to get a more sensible pair for the winter, but when I am all 'fabbed' up, sensible boots will not do. :o

I also bought myself a long, lined, Per Una black skirt from eBay to wear when it gets colder. :)

I decided to keep a food diary, as this keeps me more focused on trying to eat a balanced diet and not indulging myself with too many snacks. It is even more essential when I am on holiday from work, as then I am not getting much exercise.
  • Ellsbel
    Ellsbel Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 20 October 2016 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Great song list, Sugar:) I think keeping a diary is a really good idea - it's really easy to "forget" those little extras that all add up to extra pounds; for me, anyway:D
    LL good news re DS:) hope he's very happy. Sorry to hear about your family health worries though; I do hope all turns out OK. Also that you can find time to be gentle on yourself - grief is bound to be harder to deal with sometimes than others; when you compare the number of years you were with your DH to the number of years he's not been with you, it's not surprising if there are some periods when it's still very difficult to deal with. Sending (((hugs))).
    Today didn't get off to a great start; DS1 put on a favourite jumper and declared that I'd shrunk it. I don't know how, as I washed it in a wool wash as I always do, maybe I'd forgotten to check the temperature setting. The fact that young lads tend to go for quite fitted styles nowadays doesn't give me much margin for error either:D
    It's cost me, as I've had to order a replacement and it wasn't cheap:(
    Change of plans here today. I'm not going into town today as I still don't really feel You up to it. I'd applied for a permanent, part time role I saw advertised and got a call asking me along for a recruitment session but was told the place is only recruiting temporary staff at present. My knee jerk reaction is always to be grateful that an employer had taken any interest in me so initially I accepted, but having researched their process I've decided I don't really want to go through it at the moment for a post that will last no more than a couple of months; I just don't feel like sniffing and coughing my way through it! So I've called them and politely withdrawn.
    I am going to make an effort to fab up a bit later though as I'm meeting a friend for a cuppa.
    Meantime I'm going to work out a healthy meal plan for next week ready to do a shop tomorrow.
    Have a good day all.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling great still ellsbell. I think grateful is the wrong word but you should be pleased that employers find your application interesting enough to call you for interview or offer you a job even if you did choose to withdraw. I think you're right to keep looking.:)

Unfortunately the denim skirt wasn't right. It was too short or more correctly I'm a bit too tall for it. I want above the knee but this turned out positively mini! For anyone else looking it's a nice skirt for a shorter person. It's cut like jeans with a centre zip and pockets so not button through. I'll keep looking because I agree Floss it's an ideal outfit for all seasons and looks great with opaques.

I've been fancying sexy boots for a few years sugar, either black patent or suede is what I want. The trouble is to look good they have to fit properly and I've found that some are either too loose on the calves or look like wellies! Another thing to keep looking for. You've done well on ebay.:T
    I don't do a food diary as such but I do a meal plan every week and stick to it so it amounts to the same thing I suppose. When I do my plan (and the shopping list to go with it) I make sure I have a good balance of protein, carbs and loads of veg in there.

Pleased to report I lost 3lbs this week so I'm back in the weight range I like to be.:) I'm out for a meal later but even if it's not as healthy as what I cook at home I balance it off with my own meals. It's chillier here today so I'm going to wear boots for the first time. I'm having a black day (clothes not mood;)) so I'll wear black jeans, black long sleeved top, black jacket but brown boots and an Aran waistcoat to give me another layer.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have all been so supportive while I have been feeling so poorly all of this year, I would like to share my good news with you.:D

In April I was diagnosed with a condition of having virtually no working immune system, I was approved to go on an immunoglobulin replacement programme, which did not get off the ground until the end of July:( at that time, prior to treatment my IgG level was 3.52:( at my appointment with the Consultant this week she told OH and I that at this stage she would like my level to be 6.5-8 and they did a blood test, I was able to access the result on line and it has come in at 7.95 after about 14 weeks treatment, to say that I am well pleased is rather an understatement (gentle :j:j:j:j:j)

A little pampering this morning, did a couple of face packs and tried on some of my Winter clothes, some to go to CS as they are far too big and at this rate I will not regain much weight to wear them this season, so someone else might as well benefit. My nails have been growing like fury for the first time in years, so I have been playing with my huge stash of nail polishes and keeping them painted most of the time:D

LL - great news about DS, I hope that family health problems do not turn out to be too serious. Be kind to yourself, you are bound to feel blue sometimes without your DH.

Apologies for not mentioning anyone else by name, OH is home now and we need to go and see DM (I had a nasty fall on hols:eek: and a pulled muscle in my shoulder is making driving myself too painful, it is his birthday tomorrow and she really wants him to have his card and present, bless her).
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Maddiemay that's fab news, glad you are starting to feel better.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills