PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Totally off topic, but did anybody watch House Doctor on C5 this morning, I recorded it but it got chopped off before the end. Wondered if they managed to sell the house. It was the episode with the French lady.

Getting obsessed with house selling/decorating programmes with the need to update ours for sale
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Took the bag of Stuff to CS today. They rejected the cash hox, no idea why, I reckon it would sell, had both keys and was in pristine condition. Heyho, will offer it to different CS at weekend.

No kondoing today, too busy working. Had a wide range of duties, taking folks to get their flu jabs!

Fantabulous, you have done so well so far :T:T:T Keep up the good work.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MMF007 - you're very tolerant of your CS. If anyone rejects anything in my donation I take the whole lot back and on to my next option. If they're going to be picky then they can't have it. If there are things they don't take, it should be on their website or on the front door.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    30. Another tin that's pretty but useless
    31 a bottle of raspberry vinegar so far out of date that, even for vinegar, it's too vinegary...
    32-34 three lids with no matching pots (which obviously means I will find the pots... After the lids have left the building)

35 small bottle that DD gave me with salad dressing in. used the dressing and kept the bottle cos it's nice, but haven't used it in over a year
    36 glass tea light holder for 9 tea lights. Hardly ever used. Donation
    37 several years out of date tin of rice pudding

Away for a few days so TBC next week..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MMF: cash box. Donate directly to small local charity, scouts, karate club, church?

House decorating. Don't bother with wallpaper. It is very personal taste territory. Stick to paint- easy on, easy off. A potential buyer can easily think " oh gods, I'll have to strip that, what a faff" with paper, but think nothing of painting.
    When actually showing the house don't play music. One place we viewed had weird 70s mood musak. I loathed the music and I had to try very hard to disentangle my reaction to the house and reaction to the music. I can see through decor, but noises go straight to the brain. Ditto smells.Open windows for lots of fresh air. Beware love/hate smells like bleach, room sprays, fresh bread, coffee ( decorators keep touring the last two, but the smell of bread for me is horrible- I'm gluten intolerant, so even the smell of bread turns on me.)

I personally wouldn't bother with a new carpet. Get the one you've got professionally cleaned . Look for someone affiliated to the Wool Mark, even if your carpets aren't wool. Wool Mark is the quality standard.

If your cats have scratched the carpet new buyers will probably want to put brand new ones down themselves. And it won't have been kitty scented! Lots of people are allergic to cats or won't like the thought of living somewhere where cats have lived, so they'll automatically put down new flooring.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fen1, excellent idea about where to donate cash box, thanks!
    I couldn't agree more about music intruding into brain. I have walked out of shops playing loud music because I simply cannot concentrate over it so looking for items becomes impossible. 'I suppose it is a recognised medical condition !

You are so right about the decor issues. I have heard people looking round houses comment soley on decor that put them off or even the ornaments!! My parents are both great at seeing beyond that and bought a large Victorian house in Scotland for a snip because it had garish wallpaper in every room and viewers were walking away. OK they had to strip it but that was so worth the reduced price.

HM soup making again for elderly neighbour.. chicken today, using proper HM stock of course :)

ooh, confession - I (whispers) bought a new handbag. An old one has left the house. It was beyond economic repair and was not very joyful as it just had one large pocket so everything got lost! New one, bought with birthday money :D , has 2 separate pockets, each with a side zipped
    pocket inside for keys and a phone pocket of course. It is sooooo pretty and it sparks loads of joy and will be in almost daily use, so there!

Have a lovely day All,

M
    !
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) One in, one out is negative in terms of clutter accumulation, MMF007, and most of us need a handbag and why shouldn't it be a joyful one?

I'm off to t'office and the only kondo-ing planned today is the recycling, two books back to library and some rotables up to the allotment after work.

Have a great day, everyone, whatever you're up to.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

Yesterday I drove home eager to get in and finish cleaning up; papers and books etc.

I filled a bin bag with lots of old tat;

- 2014 car insurance documents
    - 2015 car insurance documents
    - Payslips
    - Old credit card statements (delighted to bin them)
    - Reward cars I don't use
    - Old out of date bank cards (cut up)
    - Old Mens Health Magazines (minus certain pages I tore out)
    - Old contract from previous job
    - Empty polly pockets donated to Step Dad
    - Coloured card dividers donated to Step Dad
    - Envelopes of all sizes donated to Step Dad (which I bought years ago to send out my CV)
    - A 3-tier silver tray to hold all of the above
    - Pens which don't work
    - Scientific calculators from 14 years ago
    - Stationary box
    - Notepad
    - Around 20 books which I have never read or plan to read (bought for me as presents)

Getting rid of the above meant I then had lots of space left to put other things. So my space does look cleaner.

Not even finished yet!!! Feel great,
  • Slinky
    Options
    Speky I really hope when you say binned, you shredded those items, there's huge potential for ID theft amongst that lot.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400

• Slinky
    Options
    I'm definitely going to add some wallpaper, all the rooms in the house are painted at the moment so are quite easy to decorate over, but I think a few touches of pattern will help lift it.

I'm thinking this one for one wall in the hall and one on the landing. The pale pink goes really well with the rose white walls. Hall faces north.

http://www.diy.com/departments/arthouse-vintage-halcyon-days-cream-birds-butterflies-trees-glitter-wallpaper/1104334_BQ.prd

Possibly this for a wall in our bedroom where the carpet is pale blue and the rest of the walls are lilac

http://www.diy.com/departments/julien-macdonald-exotica-duck-egg-lilac-floral-birds-glitter-effect-wallpaper/944220_BQ.prd

This I absolutly love for one short wall in the lounge where the adjoining walls are barley white. The room is long and narrow. The colours will go fab with some new cushions we bought. Just got to pursuade OH to be brave! The fireplace is on this wall.

http://www.diy.com/departments/muriva-tropical-floral-wallpaper/1290867_BQ.prd

Struggling to find something for one other bedroom where the walls are daffodil yellow and the carpet is pale blue. Not so much choice.

Not going to put huge amounts of paper in, as I know what it was like stripping off all the hideous wood chip when we moved in, but 4-5 walls in a 4 bed house won't be overkill and I hope will make it more interesting.
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport