PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 October 2016 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Woo! :eek:
    My SIL got the job! Just for the run up to Xmas but better than nothing.

Have decided that some of the pretty cardboard boxes I squirrelled for putting gifts in can be released. Looking at my present-stash I realised that I only need a couple of boxes for mini hampers. I shall sort through all on my day off and reduce by about 90% I think.

Have re-jigged furniture but not sure I have it at its best yet. It is a work in progress which I intend to perfect over the weekend because it needs time and effort and I am very busy tomorrow and Thurs.

I am feeling the KM magic though because a few more bits have gone in CS bag - 2 books, the nozzle from an old vacuum cleaner (DH had kept it for Justin, for gawd's sake!), a cash box (I used to do a craft stall every so often), a very old cardie that was way past best , and I have parcelled up a couple of children's books to post to nephew and niece.

PS - electrician did a great job and the bill was reasonable.

A good day indeed!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Woo hoo! Go your SIL (you never know it might continue on :j)
    Must use my stash up!
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulatory woo for your SIL MMF007

Think wayward shoes are a bloke thing Dh and the boys cast them off in the general direction of the shoe basket and shelves but rarely in or on either.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Evening all!

What a lot of fab news to come online too; MMF007's SIL with a job, Tea Lady going back to her own part of the forest and a new kondoista, welcome to ruby-eskimo!

Phew! I'm exhausted already. Actually, I have been exhausted all day and up since 5 am, so won't be online much longer.

:T Got a taker for the other thingy I stuck on freegle a couple of days ago, so that should go tomorrow. It's all good.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Fantabulous
    Options
    Hello, am new here!

I have been doing some MKing for a couple of months now. I watched a few videos on youtube and figured that she has the right idea.

I am due surgery in the new year, orthopaedic surgery, so will be downstairs and hopping on one leg for two months. That is what set me off on wanting to clear out.

Due to being unwell I have not touched my wardrobes/clothes/shoes/handbags/boots or anything else for about 10 years.

Plus, I had clothes going back 30 years! My Father passed 29 years ago and I had clothes in the wardrobe and drawers I wore when he was here!

So, I decided I was going to be R-U-T-H-L-E-S-S this time around. I likes MK's idea that each item has to spark joy. That helped a lot. It was helpful in letting go of clothes that had emotional attachment.

Also, someone once said that if you are undecided about letting go of something, imagine it is in a store hanging on a rail - would you spend money to buy it again? That helped a lot too. That helped me make my mind up on numerous occasions.

To date, have taken 14 full bags of clothes to the Red Cross charity shop - large gardening bags full.
    I have also taken a few bags to throw out to the local recycling centre and put them in the bins there.

To date have made about £200 after fees, selling clothes on ebay with some more to go.

Have also set my Mother off - whom has clothes in her wardrobe going back to 1940!! She is now 83!

So far so good.

Have not yet tackled the shoes/boots/handbags and coats in the downstairs wardrobe. I can only do a couple of hours a day since I can't stand for long.

Am doing well. It is very cathartic having a clearout.

I have also found all sorts of stuff I had forgotten I had and some gorgeous stuff at that. All hung on new slimline hangers and all sorted out. Am chuffed with myself.

Apart from MK there is a lady on youtube I also found to be very helpful with letting go of certain things. Gayle Goddard. She does a meet-up in Houston once a month and takes a different subject each month. Might be helpful to someone here.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all
    Welcome fantabulous, what a lovely first post sounds like you are very organised already.
    Have a good day everyone, I've got a busy one planned so will catch up later.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done, Fantabulous!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I set the dvd recorder to catch a prog last evening and sorted the craft stash again rather than sitting around. A large bag of cardboard and paper going for recycling. A few pretty boxes to CS. Some old cutlery (given by mum but never used, we have a full set) also in CS bag.

The backbedroom / study / craft room / library / dressing room looks great atm. However ... ...
    there is still Stuff to put back. Definitely a work in progress. I do feel loads better for having made a good start on kondo round 2 in there. I am also pleased that DH is indulging my and allowing the Stuff currently without a home to be kept hanging round for a few days till I can tackle it. No way am I putting it all back. Friday is now booked out in my diary to deal with it PROPERLY!

I have relocated snorkell to a cupboard that is useful but has a drop-down door that is not too accessible. As I only need snorkell once a year I can use the cupboard space and only have to wrangle door open once a year (well twice, 'cos I 'll be putting it away again, of course!).

I feel that this kondo exercise will be time very well spent and am looking forward to it. It certainly brings joy when you lighten the load and find calmness due to easily accessible, joyful items being just how you want them :D

I am another person who has had to re-visit categories and, as I have gone off piste, re-visited rooms! It is working for me so I am happy with that. As someone said ages ago, I wish I had kept a note of how much stuff has left since the MK journey began, but then again, perhaps that would unnerve me!

Hope you all have some joyous moments in your day.

M

PS - hope Mavvy is OK, been a while since she posted.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    19. DVD watched at the weekend and set aside for donation
    20. Steam mop. I've had it a couple of years and when I use it it blows the electrics, so to the tip I fear....

21 better ware catalogue not collected in three weeks
    22 another DVD watched.

Today I am spring cleaning the kitchen, so I think there will be more....:D
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 October 2016 at 9:41AM
    Options
    Hi all, Mmf you took the words out of my mouth, I was just about to post asking after Mavvy !
    Day 2 of builders he was here 7.45 :eek: luckily I was dressed !!
    I may go upstairs and clean front windows so I'm out of the way. I may also have a mooch to see what can be kondoed whilst up there .
    The cat tree arrived yesterday and has been assembled to check if all parts were there! That is now standing in the corner almost as high as the shelf unit so I'm imagining the kitten on top of that quite easily :rotfl:
    It will eventually sit the conservatory so he can watch the birds!!! Dd2 was here when it arrived and has claimed the box for her house move , she cleared 4 bags of clothes last week when she had a viewing. I'm now trying to encourage her to kondo as much as possible before she moves.

Chuffed = chuffed as a butty up here in northwest!
    Bonny = bommy? ! Unless I've misheard for the past 50 years :rotfl: As I do with song lyrics, I find my version is very often better than the original.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure