PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Thanks for the tips RE shredder.

I'm away most of this weekend so no Kondo-ing however I'm eager to. I have a day off in 2 weeks which I'll put to good use and visit some CS's.
  • GreenBitterfly
    Options
    On Wednesday, I knondoed a bag of books, audiobooks and DVDs to the charity shop. I hope to get a few more books read soon, and so I can get another a couple of bags off.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Charis wrote: »
    It seems like your humidity is almost spot on greenbee, according to this article from The Telegraph :T
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    SaveSave

Thanks Charis.

I think I'll start putting the furniture back after the weekend and see what happens if I turn the dehumidifiers off. Mind you, I'm not sure how accurate the humidity reading is.

The office certainly feels a lot more pleasant now!
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Woo continues:
    Weigh in shows another 1.75lb gone. Trousers now seriously perilous. Will have to buy a pair on Saturday to keep me going!

The multi purpose room now has less in it :D
    I have reorganised what goes where, bagged up mum's bedding (single bed linen and 2 fleece blankets for which we have no other use) and I shall store it at my friends - I know we are not supposed to move stuff on like this but it is a practical option and my friend loves my mum so putting the bag in the bottom of a spare wardrobe was offered when I mentiined my dilemma. :)

Shuffled cupboard contents for a better fit and better accessibilty. Shoe boxes are my friends
    :rotfl:

I have managed to make a big difference to the room, thankfully. I really feel happy that the room is working much better.

The only flies in the ointment are the wallpaper rolls but they will be off the floor and on the bathroom and landing walls within a few weeks (not giving myself a deadline because am unexpectedly busy atm, but it is my autumn project!).

Off to menu-plan after sorting through a mountain of veg. I seem to have stocked up and shall probably make a couple of different soups to freeze as a starting point :)

Am waiting to have a tricky convo with DH about the videos that he clings to. We have a video player in the loft (I know, I know), I tried last year but he won't release the player or the videos and now I can't even suggest CS because they won't take them :mad:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    MMF007 the CS took all of our videos. I think it was the scope CS shop.
    I never thought Dh would let ours go but 90% of them went. I've let the others stay as they are smallfry compared to what we had.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    Wow, Karmacat, congratulations!

I've kondoed the stupid task of asking my old church to send my details to my new church. It's only been preying on my mind for a year!

Nice pun. I guess that's my smile for the day :rotfl:
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrsMP thank you for the tip, that's good to know.

I have broached the subject of the video stash just now. Didn't get a 'no', but DH did say he'd play the vids if the player was linked up. Er, why do you think I have never reconnected it??! Yes, he does leave any techno challenges to me, no matter how minor, thankfully!

Anyway, a large bag of Stuff from multi purpose room now destined for CS :T, a small amt of recycling, a couple of presents relocated into present stash AND noted on the accompanying list so I don't duplicate ;) and a lovely cosy throw brought into seasonal use :)

As an aside, when carrying a large box of paperwork for tax records etc back upstairs I was struggling with the weight of it and passing the bathroom scales I was inspired to weight it, out of curiosity. Unbelievably it weighed just 2lb more than my weight-loss to date. THAT really brought it home to me, how much excess I had been carrying round. It is so good to Kondo that weight. So onwards and inwards!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have sorted the gloves, hats and scarves. A few too small or childish will go to cs. Others will go back in the attic for later years. I have also put an ikeeya bag in the attic to put all cs stuff in. Isn't it weird how something small as 'no bag' will stop you km-ing properly? (Or is that just me?)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 October 2016 at 7:52AM
    Options
    :) Morning all.

Wow, MMF007, I've held 2 premium bonds for the past 50 years (they were bought for me by my parents when I was a tot) and they have never ever won anything. And two quid had a lot more spending power in the 1960s than it does now; it would have bought a gold half-sovreign back then. I'm a teeny bit cross about that.:rotfl:

Been dealing with some paperwork which has caused Fred the Shred to be deployed, plus some other bits of the non-confidential nature like envelopes to be recycled. Amazing how quickly paper proliferates, no?

Later today, my parents and one of my cousins will be meeting at my Nan's rented bungalow to see if it is feasible to take down the shed. This shed has been in situ for 50 years and is about 12 x 10 ft with its walls blackened from decades of creosote, and its roof made of corrugated iron. It was orginally a chicken hut which was delivered into the back garden by being lowered over the hedge from an adjacent field.

It couldn't go out the same way - that field has a plantation of 30 ft trees at the bottom of it now. Chicken hut had its walls heightened to make it into a shed and it has sat there ever since.

This shed will probably see us all out but there's no way the council landlord would want it left and the new tenants will want something tidier from Bee and Queue, most likely. Cousin wants to re-erect it in her own back yard. We're good country stock and an old shed isn't to be sneezed at.:p

There is a smaller lean-to shed at the foot of the garden which is, to our certain knowledge, over 75 years old. Possibly well over. Take that, you modern shed-vendors, you.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    GQ I have £6 of 52 yo premium bonds that never won me anything - DH has £50 that have won him around £500 over the years :(

Re the sheds - they're probably held together by string & sealing wax, and liberal coatings of creosote & oil :D

Got a tip run to do today - cardboard, wood, rags, old pillows - and some stuff for the cs on my way. Then can carry on going through my clothes and books, and have some things for fleabay too.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills