PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, hope you have a joyful day everyone.
    I've just tied my sweetpeas up as the recent rain has made them grow really fast. I love sweetpeas so they will bring me joy in the summer.

Almost caved in Ts yesterday I saw a lovely dress, but I have several lovely dresses..... If I do get it I'll let one go to the CS but so far I've walked away, I did however buy a magazine with a rather joyful dress pattern in so I'll look through my fabric stash and see if I can make one instead.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Polly - as far as I know turquoise is the only universal colour. VJ - maybe it's a particular tone that doesn't suit you but I'd be surprised as it always flatters all skin tones from really fair to coloured skins.
    Mavvy - know what you mean about black - it's a safe colour & don't get me on about retirees in beige. I love colours and they can always be teamed with the basics - capsule wardrobes are very MK ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a few black things, but black is so standard now, and has been for a long time, you really do blend in. I wore a gold, crinkle-type dress to a science fiction do at a big pub a long time ago, and the actor I'd gone along to see walked by my table on his way out from speaking. His eyes ... how shall I put this politely ... he was keeping his eyes down, and when he saw me, his eyes travelled upwards from my stilettoes and our eyes met :D and I *know* it was because of that dress :D Never to be forgotten :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love bright colours, although I have lived in black from time to time. During my twenties I realised that if I was wearing dark and subdues colours for some time, it was a sign that I was feeling I needed to hide from something. I knew by then that even though I feel like hiding, I prefer to take the world head-on, so I have to look for the thing that makes me want to hide and blend-in, and then tackle it. Reading books at all hours is the same red flag: I want to hide in a fictional world. But from what?
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Polly - as far as I know turquoise is the only universal colour. VJ - maybe it's a particular tone that doesn't suit you but I'd be surprised as it always flatters all skin tones from really fair to coloured skins.

I am a "warm autumn" which, apparently, is quite unusual - i believe (though not an expert) i am better in "teal" than "turquoise. Over the years when i have had a few tops in that colour, I never enjoy wearing them and they soon go. My MiL looks lovely in turquoise and wears alot of it - maybe that's why i avoid it :rotfl:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • MamaSaver
    MamaSaver Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All. Long time lurker here, thanks to you all for starting me on my Kondo journey in January. I got more motivated reading this thread than l did reading the books.

All this talk of turquoise has made a decision in my head to buy a River Island top on sale that's been hanging around in my online basket. After Kondoing my wardrobe in January I got rid of so much that was dragging me down but to be honest I was left with very very few clothes. So I've been gradually building my clothes back up with only things that spark joy and only things that are on sale. I used to have a turquoise top that everyone commented on so I have decided to order it so that I have something to wear this summer.

Since Kondoing my clothes, I got rid of 80% of my books, did DDs room, which still has some "to-do" piles of stuff to go through, and I did a few bits of the kitchen, which are the envy of all who sees them. Today it's the kitchen COD which contains food, electrical items (some I use, some I don't), tin foil and paper towels etc, kids art supplies and much more.

However the most unusual thing I've Kondoed is what I believe my subconscious has made me do. I'm not the type of person to lose things, in fact, in all the chaos that surrounds me, I usually can find just about anything I need straight away. I feel guilty even typing this, but here goes. When my DH presented me with some earrings for Christmas I appeared delighted but they didn't spark joy on so many levels. Apart from them being quite plain, I knew how much they cost and it was about 10 times what I would ever consider spending on something like that. They made me think about what I could have bought instead of them. I was also wearing them just to please DH. But the day came when they weren't where I keep my earrings. They were GONE!! I think I actually threw them out without realising it, when I was cleaning them. I haven't come clean yet, but I will have to some time.

Off now to face the dreaded COD, wish me luck. I'm going in!
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I am a "warm autumn" which, apparently, is quite unusual - i believe (though not an expert) i am better in "teal" than "turquoise. Over the years when i have had a few tops in that colour, I never enjoy wearing them and they soon go. My MiL looks lovely in turquoise and wears alot of it - maybe that's why i avoid it :rotfl:

I'm also a warm autumn. According to my swatches, we should be able wear turquoise, also teal like you said is good and aqua. The turquoise in my swatch is more a greeny turquoise than blue, through. :)

Re lime green and purple - today I am wearing both! :eek: Before having my colours done last September, I wore black most of the time. Since then I've not worn it once on my top half. I'd never have dreamt of wearing lime and purple together pre colours but it certainly lifts the spirit! :T
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So, having Kondoed the cleaner, i had to do my own cleaning this week. :eek: (BTW, that wasn't the revolting job :p). Today I dusted.

Wow, it took half an hour to do the whole house (4 beds, 2 reception), and much more thoroughly than said cleaner. It is soooo much easier and quicker with clutter free surfaces. I also found a couple of little corners where clutter had accumulated so that is now sorted.

:T
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MamaSaver wrote: »
    Hi All. Long time lurker here, thanks to you all for starting me on my Kondo journey in January. I got more motivated reading this thread than l did reading the books.

All this talk of turquoise has made a decision in my head to buy a River Island top on sale that's been hanging around in my online basket. After Kondoing my wardrobe in January I got rid of so much that was dragging me down but to be honest I was left with very very few clothes. So I've been gradually building my clothes back up with only things that spark joy and only things that are on sale. I used to have a turquoise top that everyone commented on so I have decided to order it so that I have something to wear this summer.

Since Kondoing my clothes, I got rid of 80% of my books, did DDs room, which still has some "to-do" piles of stuff to go through, and I did a few bits of the kitchen, which are the envy of all who sees them. Today it's the kitchen COD which contains food, electrical items (some I use, some I don't), tin foil and paper towels etc, kids art supplies and much more.

However the most unusual thing I've Kondoed is what I believe my subconscious has made me do. I'm not the type of person to lose things, in fact, in all the chaos that surrounds me, I usually can find just about anything I need straight away. I feel guilty even typing this, but here goes. When my DH presented me with some earrings for Christmas I appeared delighted but they didn't spark joy on so many levels. Apart from them being quite plain, I knew how much they cost and it was about 10 times what I would ever consider spending on something like that. They made me think about what I could have bought instead of them. I was also wearing them just to please DH. But the day came when they weren't where I keep my earrings. They were GONE!! I think I actually threw them out without realising it, when I was cleaning them. I haven't come clean yet, but I will have to some time.

Off now to face the dreaded COD, wish me luck. I'm going in!

Just a thought, if they are lost and because they were expensive could you claim on your contents insurance and then buy something that does spark joy?
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • MamaSaver
    MamaSaver Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Just a thought, if they are lost and because they were expensive could you claim on your contents insurance and then buy something that does spark joy?

Hi Clutter, they weren't that expensive. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, so that's why they were 10x what I would pay :rotfl: But they cost enough to pay for a nice cheap break away for a weekend, which is what I would prefer than more "stuff". I sound so ungrateful I know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure