PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MamaSaver
    MamaSaver Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    Mamasaver, on this thread I don't know whether a COD is a 'Chest Of Drawers' or a 'Cupboard Of Doom'! :)

I mean Cupboard of Doom! :rotfl:
    Which is still not even started!
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I had a beige suit and toning multi coloured (beige/ brown / dark green all over tiny pattern) when I was eight - but that was because I was rarely lucky enough to get a bag of clothes (pre bin bags) from my cousins and had outfits made from the leftovers of clothes my grandmother had made for herself. She and my mother also made me fussy over elaborate 'walking day' dresses (showed their skills and reflected my mother's desire to make me look 'doll-like' - complete with burnt ear or missing hair from using the curling tongs you stick in the fire or on the gas ring) rather than simpler things which would have suited me better.

I don't do pink and pale blue (11 - 13 years old). Wore a lot of brown and cream (maybe a bit of beige) in my late teens and stopped because with brown hair and brown eyes I sort of disappeared / looked like a sepia photograph. At 17 I started making my own clothes and things got a lot more exciting - shocking pink halter neck cat suit anyone. Possibly trying to outrun the 'Sunday school teacher tag' I had acquired.

I can't wear purple or any lavender type things - I'll raise your 'not looking well' to 'walking corpse'. Mum had a lovely red dress that she wore to bits, made the same pattern up in purple velvet for a New Year dress - horrible, she wore it once. Think I once had a satin shirt in jewel stripes which included purple and that was fine (lucky period in my life when the cast offs came from mum's boss's daughter - a few years older than me and clothes mad).

Yesterday DS1 came to collect his current batch of parcels (17) and the fan he bought off me a while ago. He put a lot more stuff in my 'wood store' including some electrical items and a couple of mirrors. It has rained overnight a couple of times so I have tested the water tightness of the store and it's holding up fine. Store is now full so will be sealing the front and side with more bits of raised bed (not put together atm but painted with wood stain).

DS3 did some of the heavy work too and whilst he was in the bath, I stood in his room shouting out various items and some have been binned/ recycled and allocated for the cs. Nearly all (more done this morning) now inside the wardrobes and top boxes and in much better order than previously (and hopefully he knows where things are rather than shouting to ask where I have put things).

Bed is still not upstairs but he insists he can get it up by himself, if he can't it may end up outside and be turned into another raised bed (my ultimate plan for it - it has wooden box sides). Also planning to phone DS2 and ask if he can spare us an hour tomorrow. It was 6.30 pm last night before my muscles finally loosened and I would rather the two boys move the final large pieces of furniture. He also has space to store some of my things (but he smokes so don't want fabric going there - could send the Christmas decs).

As I am nesting (books/ accounts/ sewing/ lists/ laptop) on the small couch and DS3 is occupying the large one (keyboard and drawing tablet which attach to his laptop for various tasks plus 'wires' - inspiration for his latest game has struck today) I want stacking these to be one of the later jobs. I have lived out of three shopping bags before during 'work' - I was moved from room to room depending on who else needed accommodating/ where work was happening. One bag of clothes and undies, one paperwork, one sewing.

Pain free today but 'tiredness' is not far away, despite a good night's sleep so will be doing slow and steady. I have done the freezer shop and SM - over budget but want lots of things I can eat and go if kitchen is unusable (not a lot of work in there but materials will have to come through the kitchen) and the Vit D deficiency has made me stop and think about what I'm missing. Have been 'using what I had' and some things I normally buy were not available at reasonable prices so may have been having too many of the same things and missing out on others. Need to get things back in balance.

Will try very hard to find something joyful to do - if not will do it mid week once the builders are here. As long as I am available for consultation I could have a 'day off'.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I don't have any beige clothes at all ... but I *have* just bought a pair of "nude" leather shoes from Office ... I'm starting to wonder if "nude" is a scam!
    :o Picture this.

About 15 years ago, GQ to a colleague up from Lunnon Town.

Me I like your shoes. Where did you get them?

He Office

Me (baffled) What office?

He (with the infinate patience of the capital city dweller to the small city bumpkin) It's a shoe shop, GQ.

Well, I have minimal interest in retail and don't get out much. I admit to finding the nude shoe colour a bit disturbing when on ballet flats as you see people walking around the city apparently barefoot.

:j I have been let loose in the upper floor of my friend's [STRIKE]junk shop[/STRIKE] err wondrous bazaar of curios and collectables. Three whole rooms of WTH?! with great skeins of cobwebs strung across it and the dust of ages sifting from collapsing cardboard boxes.

I found a sink! I mean, he knew it was there but I'd been in that storeroom several times over the years but had never seen it before. Rather covet the marble bust of some dead roman dude (a repro, naturally)......... my friend's clutter is soooo much more interesting than mine.:rotfl:

Dahlings, I was in kondo heaven........... I can have another go at it another time if I like.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Kondoistas,

I think I just did "paper" again! Financial year end brought a flurry of annual statements, new yearly bills etc. I'm enjoying having a lot less food stockpiled in the kitchen. It does mean shopping more often to top up, yet I'm spending less money overall and wasting a lot less food. Unfortunately I have hoarded a few empty boxes for drawer organising...except I've not got round to it so I have a pile of teabag and cereal boxes which need to be used or recycled asap!
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, after saying I was not buying anything new I've slipped a bit. I'm on a weekend away which is followed immediately by a week away somewhere else, and I've struggled to find enough clothes to pack for nine days. Kondoing my clothes has been very successful but left me a bit short of t-shirts for everyday, especially as two of my favourites have actually worn out.

Passing BhS where there's a sale on I bought two t-shirts, and completely out of my usual black, white or grey range - I've bought a bright green and an orange one. So it was really funny to sit down and read all the posts above about colours! The woo is clearly working.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Isn't it strange how cream can look so classy and porridge colour just looks drab.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2016 at 9:20PM
    Options
    Just having a really joyful day. Ds1 was singing at a coffee shop in town so we dropped him nipped into the centre to pick up a free gift ds1 had asked me to collect for her. Then nipped for a coffee Where DS was singing to have a listen which was good, took him to Get his guitar mended then dropped him at his friends 21 st party and had a drink with him and gave him a bottle of Jd to celebrate with
    Just had salad and veggie burgers for tea and now going to do some sewing knitting up and watch a film with ds2 and his friend.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was distracted by a friend today from cleaning/tidying and as it was raining we went to a local market town instead of going for a walk. Had a lovely time in the fabulous health food shop so have stocked up on things I normally struggle to buy - must go there more often as it's just as close as the other places I shop but has more and better independent shops.

It does mean I'm a bit behind on the furniture moving, but I tested the new shower this morning (fabulous) and stripped my bed in the spare room (sheets currently being washed and dried) so I have to make up my own bed if I want to have anywhere to sleep tonight. Hopefully an early night will result in a productive day tomorrow as the hall is still looking very full of stuff (mostly wine) all of which is very dusty and needs to be clean before it gets relocated.

I also need to order a whole lot of stuff online so that it arrives before all my visitors on bank holiday monday - including some new mattress covers and sheets to fit some of my non-standard sized beds.

But first I should probably find something for supper. Then I can keep warm this evening by moving things!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Just spent 2 hours dismantling a large item I made several years ago and which hasn't been needed in its present format in this flat. Took it apart because it wasn't really re-homable in its present condition and I wanted most of the components myself for other projects - cream calico is often useful, I find.

Will need to iron the fabric (possibly tomorrow) and may offer up some of the components on freegle or keep some, will have a bit of a think about that.

I've been postponing dealing with this since it came back from the last Bank Holiday weekend at the folks' - it is mine but ended up at theirs' in their loft after my last move and got forgotten, frankly, until it resurfaced a few weeks ago.

Good to have eaten that particular elephant....... :rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    Options
    Whew, that was a lot of pages to catch up on. I have no idea what colours suit me, I wear a lot of black and don't like anything too bright
    This week I managed to recover all the fabric on my (giant) cat tree - it has gone from dark blue fluffy to cream and pale green upholstery fabric. It looks so much more restful and less like a dark looming, ominous presence in the corner. The bit I'm most pleased with is using up some foam to cover a bolt that was sticking out and I couldn't remove - it is now much safer

I've found I'm much less tolerent of messiness in my own flat, which is fair enough but I wish I wasn't noticing when visiting that other people's homes are dusty - I feel really bad about noticing it

I have bought a new pan, I may need to get rid of some to have enough space so it can live in the cupboard. The glass tops for tables are in place and look fab, so much easier to keep clean. I do feel I have lots of Stuff still, but am happy to winnow it down through natural attrition
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family