Hello Again...

Options

Comments

• Abz12
    Abz12 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all, had a right nightmare today!!!!!

Not only has it cost me £120 for my car to be repaired but my family have called their debt in! By 3pm today I had broken my no spending rule on credit cards and purchased three different cardigans in different colours from new look! I'm out of control.

Have approx £10 in my bank account and had to borrow more money to get the car repaired as i don't have any spare cash! How did my life get like this??? Typical that as soon as I try an make a difference in my debt the universe pulls me back in line. So guess what....no Barcelona for us! Another two months of no money...feel so down :-(
    Total debt when starting Sept 2021 - £14,629.61 / Current debt - £13,398.73
  • hign10pines
    hign10pines Posts: 380 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2016 at 11:39PM
    Options
    Can I ask what you studied with the Open Uni? I take it by mentioning the SLC you started after 2012 when the changes came into place.

I'm with the OU but started before 2012 so on the old lower fees and as I haven't been earning £22k+ I've never had to pay the full amount for a module as I get funding through them and not the SLC.

I also went to a brink uni and didn't complete it but as I had student loans etc I still have to pay it back and mine is pre 2012 so starts at £15k!

Surely you knew you needed to pay it back at some point?

Oh and it doesn't go on any credit report, I don't even think about it as it comes out my wages before I get them. You can either set up a DD for a set amount each month or have it come out your wage, the latter should be automatic.
    Student nurse 2018 to 2020
    Debt: DMP (with Payplan) £8194 - 6.6 years left
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But if you had not started making a difference to your debt you would be in an even worse position than you are now.

You have done so well to get this far.

A car repair is a minor blip.

And as for family calling the debt in, please don't take offence, but if I had lent someone money and they decided to go on holiday rather than pay me back I would be a bit miffed too.

You can have a bigger and better holiday next year (or the one after) when all your debt has been paid.
  • Abz12
    Options
    High10pines - thanks for posting. I studied business with economics and couldn't finish as I changed my job, to the one I have now, it's much more demanding than the last. I never had the time to study. Honestly, I didn't think about paying it back, that's my naivety though. It is what it is I will have to just crack on and pay it back. Not in a position to make extra payments but once my debt is cleared who knows. What is it your studying?

EE - hello, having slept on it I agree. I think I was just on one last night. If someone lent money from from me I would ask for it if they kept talking about Barcelona. I have made arrangements to pay them back on Thursday when I get paid so that's one debt gone. Minimal payments to all debt for the next two pay days. It sets me back but at least I have made a dent, you're right. Need to think positively.

From writing this diary I have learnt that I am very materialistic and I like 'keeping up with the whoevers' prime example is the holiday. I need to focus on my goal and not let that distract me. Thanks for setting me straight both! :-)

Good news today - received my refund from the HA and transferred £381 to my nationwide card taking it well under a £1,000!!! Yay!!! It's funny because I received a letter from them saying they wanted to increase my limit to over £4K. Should I accept this? I will update my signature once it's been cleared.
  • Abz12
    Options
    Evening all, how quick did that bank holiday go, at least we have one day left!

Been a busy bee this weekend with evenings out with friends and visiting family. OH has been busy decorating too which is making me happier. Had a mad dash to the vets as one of the cats had blood in their vomit/poo and we couldn't tell which one. Cost me another £30. It's peace of mind though as I want them both to be happy and healthy. Apparently we need to buy hypoallergenic food as whoskas is too rich for cats tummies. Who knew that???

Have also made a payment to my family by transferring them £600, only owe them £70 now, which I'm hoping I can clear before the end of the month. Hibernation is in full force now, I'm promising myself. So glad I have literally halved the nationwide credit card that should be gone in another two months then to start on the big one, the halifax card. I do need to start putting money aside for an emergency fund just in case stuff happens again with the car. I'm not sure I mentioned that it's just cost me £120!! This would also prevent me from borrowing off of family again.

Quick post tonight as just got back from London....hope everyone else enjoyed their bank holiday and night all.
  • Abz12
    Options
    It has been awhile....real life just gets in the way! Been busy with decorating and booking Barcelona.....I know it's terrible but I got a really good deal and it's only cost me £200 an something. So what if my DFD moves back a month I'm in need atm.

In other news we checked our credit reports and mine was 8 away from being excellent! My Oh has a default from 2010 on an old student account for £281!!! I have been asking him to chase the debt an he is going to get a settlement figure from them. He's never had any credit in his name so once this is settled hopefully he will be able too. Although I heard it takes 6 years to come off even if settled?? It should have expired but looks like they reapplied for it on his birthday . There is no way he would get approved for a mortgage with that so better to settle it now. You know what it's like asking men to do something tho! My nationwide card has gone up again as he has used it for his car insurance and owes me £800 of the total.

I have been swag bucking like crazy and got my first monthly bonus! Plan to keep these until Christmas and then cash them out for vouchers. I have quite away to go before I cash out Yougov.

Big bill month this month - money is tight although when I say that I mean probably because I don't have SPARE cash to waste! Need to get back on the MS as I've been a bit frivolous with eating out again...always food. From tomorrow I am giving myself an allowance of £20 a week and once it's gone it's gone! Going to leave my card at home! I'm such an impulsive buyer.

I am excited for the break to Barcelona and my week off in May. Have booked a spa also with some friends...only a day thing on groupon. I like the odd treat here and there. Plan to ask relatives for euros for my birthday and use as spends when we are there.

Back to the daily posts me thinks as when I don't I'm being naughty with spending!!!
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Don't be disheartened about your partner not being accepted for a mortgage as I have a great credit record but hubby has defaults from 5 years ago which he never settled and we got accept for a mortgage so perhaps try a independent financial advisor to secure you a mortgage xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • Abz12
    Options
    First day of the £20 a week challenge, Monday
    Purchased the following for my morning snack all week;
    Low fat Greek yoghurt £1.05
    Strawberries £2 (which went off on Tuesday!!!!!)
    Lemon 18p
    Monkey nuts £1

Also put £3 towards a colleagues birthday gift.

Dinner, I made chicken burritos;
    Chips £2
    Cheese £2
    Kidney beans 45p
    Toms 79p
    Coriander 69p
    Mixed salad £1
    Garlic 25p

Total spent £14.21
    Left £5.79 and it was Tuesday! This helps me to understand why I have debt!

Tuesday
    £3.70 on a train ticket into town. Went out for a meal after wrk. I was treated so spent nothing else.

£2.09 left!

Wednesday
    £2.80 in boots on hair bands. £20 officially gone! Now I'm in minus! Money was already in my purse and I will get points for them so don't feel as bad as I should!

Also booked another two friends onto the spa through topcashback but this will be reimbursed so not really a spend
  • Abz12
    Options
    Thanks abba - I've been following your diary and it's fab news about the house. I really hope that will be the same for us. X
  • Abz12
    Options
    Completely fallen off the MSE wagon...help!!! I've put weight on and added to my debt. Need to start agin from this payday which is Thursday!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport