We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

MURIE your squashed in christmas sounds fab, that sounds like the christmases we had as kids, all the relatives getting together at my nans house on boxing day, my nan used to do a lovely spread for us all

DOMRAVIOLI oh my lovely that is awful is there no chance of getting the money refunded if it has been hacked? The only thing i thought of was the same as MRSMONEYPENNY the snowflakes made out of white paper and hung up, i hope you dont get too stressed trying to do it all for £8

CLUMSY i hope the graduation photo goes well and you are pleased with it

MRSMONEYPENNY i love that your MIL thinks you have carved the turkey in the kitchen......genius!

04624181 haha i have struggled this month the previous challenges i have known straightaway what i am doing but this one it took ages to decide. I hope DD feels better soon

MISSMOOSE i hope you get the amazon problem sorted and get your money refunded

LMG1305 i give to the food bank 3 or 4 times a year and get christmas chocolates for all the families at christmas and any extras i can think of, we are lucky we have two collection points in the village so it doesnt take me out of my way. It kills me knowing children locally having a tough christmas

PEPPAPIG glad your consultant appt went really well and you only have two sessions left, that really made me happy to read that today :D dont expect too much with the challenge lol. My DD2 is horrified she isnt spending christmas at home with us but i said it is only fair that the in laws get their turn with DGS haha. I hope you had fun with DGD this week

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

DOMRAVIOLI oh my lovely that is awful is there no chance of getting the money refunded if it has been hacked? The only thing i thought of was the same as MRSMONEYPENNY the snowflakes made out of white paper and hung up, i hope you dont get too stressed trying to do it all for £8

Free... I meant hacked as in with a chainsaw! We've gone from full funding to around 30%, so I'm lucky I have any budget whatsoever. Going to rope the kids in with the decs, we have a few weeks to try and come up with something!
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Peppa- omg if I am right then this is scary!( Clement Clarke Moore?)) I have done a variation on that too!!!
    (If Im wrong then you will think I am mad- nothing new there!)
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • freespirit66
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Free... I meant hacked as in with a chainsaw! We've gone from full funding to around 30%, so I'm lucky I have any budget whatsoever. Going to rope the kids in with the decs, we have a few weeks to try and come up with something!

DOMRAVIOLI oh i thought you meant hacked as in online computer hacking, oh god what is wrong with people it makes me so mad, people just taking what they want regardless of who they are hurting
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • murie
    Options
    We have a food collection point outside our local Tesco- Im going to buy a couple of things each week extra to put in it, the advents calendars are a good idea, I've never thought about that.

Dom Ravioli- the idea of glittering up some foliage is a good one, perhaps doing small smaller arrangements in any spare jars people could donate, as well as going to town with larger branches etc, If you can find any fallen larger branches you could hang the paper snowflakes and lanterns off them ( Im thinking pad out space as much as possible).
    Free - poor DD2 and poor you not seeing Thumper on Christmas day but as you say its only fair.

Missmoose - fingers crosses your amazon issue are resolve soon. Its so annoying when things like that happen.

Mrs MP and GTQ- you sound like real panto veterans! You are right, kids do have brilliant social lives these days( better than mine anyway!).
    04624181 hope DD gets better soon and that no one else comes down with it.

Nic- hope you turn a corner and start too feel better soon x
    Newthrift- everything OK?

Peppa- that is something really positive to focus on, hopefully DH will get answers that will help him too x

Nothing Christmassy here to report nit I am going shopping so will be looking to add a few things to the Christmas cupboard.
    lovin' this site!
  • freespirit66
    Options
    Evening everyone, ooh i am so excited DD1 has just booked a 5* hotel for two nights in December in London, for my birthday present. So we can knock a few things off of my 50 things in my 50th year, we will be sightseeing and christmas shopping, we also want to go on a bus tour of the christmas lights i havent done that since i was in my twenties. I am so excited i could pop :rotfl:
  • murie
    Options
    Free- that sounds lovely! That's something really special to look forward to!
    lovin' this site!
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Wow FREE that's a fabulous present and def something to get excited about. I must admit apart from a quick drive down Oxford Street (or was it Regent Street) on the way home from the theatre quite a few years ago I've never seen the Christmas lights in the West end. I bet you'll have a brilliant time.

ha ha MURIE, as if I'd think you're mad:o You're as sane as I am :p I'm feeling a bit freaked out. Your reference to Clement Clarke Moore
    Leads me to think we may have done something based on a similar idea - can't wait till Monday now to find out!

Thanks for the info MRSM, I'm going to see if our local deli does turkey but if not then I'll cook it the day before, will make things easier on Christmas morning.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • mummybear3
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Hi all! Hugs to those that need it.

Peppa, that is a lot of cooking and for so many different tastes.

Free, can't wait to see your challenge.

Well I've been lumped with yet more festive challenge. We hold a party for the residents of our estate, along with the youth club kids and their families. This year, our funding has been hacked, so I have exactly £8 to decorate a church hall. We do a winter theme rather than christmas (we are multidenominational) and I am absolutely not happy about it.

I have some basic craft supplies (white paper, glue/sellotape, string, wool, and pinterest!), but need to spend the tiny budget wisely. If anyone has any ideas I would be super grateful as what I've come up with so far is beyond terrible!

Are you able to source some nice branches or logs locally? How about some white sheets for the background and then spray the branches/logs silver and this would look great.
    Mummybear 3
    :j:j:j
    mummybear3
    I will declutter, I will declutter............meaning less to clear away and more time to spend with my lovely family
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    DomR what factories have you locally? usually good for freebies, here we have a card and paper mill, l got aroll end of white card, (cereal box weight) a food wrapping mill, l got a roll of silver foil type stuff, (like biscuits and Jaffa cakes are wrapped in) and a cellophane mill, got roll ends of blue, red, orange and clear cellophane. only about 18 inches high, but good for wrapping. they last for years, and make great bunting, backgrounds and chair bows, and table covers. oh, and a cloth factory, huge bag of 'mistakes and marked' fabric, so if you have anything like that locally, you could get a load of free stuff to decorate with. You just need to ask the HR department.
    My spotty DGN fell yesterday, and chipped a lump off her front tooth! she has only had it about 2 months, her mum is devastated and feels like the worst mother in the world.
    DDs party went really well, she made just over £100, and everybody went home happy with their purchases and freebies, so, win, win.
    Peppa, yaaay on needing only 2 more chemos hang on in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure