* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Treasurequeen
    Options
    Afternoon everyone I hope your weekends are going well.
    Newthrift hope the baking went well I love making cakes, trouble is I eat as I make them, and by the time I know it I hardly have any toppings for them.:rotfl:

Gettingtherequickly what a fun and great present idea, good job she had a good sense of humour. :rotfl:

I thought that the bath bombs are great quality, the kilner type jar is bigger than what I thought it would be. Im giving the kits as a gift, but you could always buy them, make them up and split them between pamper hampers or teacher gifts. Works out even cheaper and cost effective if you split them up.

I saw some great battery light up eyeball string lights for £2.99 I think it was. they would be great for a Halloween party on the lights4fun website. https://www.lights4fun.co.uk/i/q/LL13102/10-white-led-battery-operated-eyeball-halloween-lights?gclid=CjwKEAjw652_BRDfkebVrdOGkDISJAD0Q2RuxN6O17I1aY0ryD01VtK_nzsJ7rcz0uHv-yMx0OyLYRoC-dfw_wcB

They also have some other battery lights that I bought for gifts, I got a lovely hanging heart light from there for my aunt and its lovely when its lit up, wish I bought one for me now.
  • FeistyFidget
    Options
    Thanks for all of your good wishes, rash spreading nicely. It's amazing to look at our bodies , I know that the rash will only be on one side and there is some which is literally just to the left of my sternum, how did it know to stop there? :D Didn't sleep that well last night but wonder if it has more to do with the fact that I struggled to sort out living room yesterday for carpet fitters today, just having a coffee now before I finish.

Well done to those with new jobs, especially Feisty, you have had a difficult time this year, but the Daddy/Monster bonding on the days you are working will be amazing and Monster will realise that Daddy can do things with her as well.

Better go & finish room, have a good one everybody.

I hope you managed to get the room finished?
    Thank you for your advice on Daddy and little My bonding days, as awful as it sound's I had never thought about it like that. This could actually be a good thing that they spend some time together as it can't be nice for him when she refuses to be settled to bed or for naps with him.
    Hi, wow, a mammoth catch-up, but l cant remember who has what, so sorry, hello, newbies, we are pleased to 'meet you' .
    Have had a manic few days, with only boring stuff, but the good stuff is in there somewhere.
    My dear friend is retiring on Friday, she has mixed feelings about it, but is glad to be having more time for herself. She has just got back from a 7 night cruise, with her husband.
    She doesnt want any kind of party, or anything, to celebrate, so l thought l might put together a ''time for me'' hamper, that she can dip into when she feels a bit lost. So far there is a small bottle of fizzy wine, some hand made chocolates, a selection of fruit and green teas, a bath pillow and an eye mask, a bath bomb and l need a book about retired fun, and savings, and a couple of miniature baileys, and gin etc. Any other ideas? after all l have 6 whole days to do it!!!
    The wind has blown all my remaining pots over , so l need to get out there and empty them ready for the winter plants to go in . mainly primrose and pansy, but l keep looking for cyclamen to be reduced in B&Q, ho hum!
    Arghhhhh, washing off the line alert, gotta gooooooooooo...........

How about one of those 5 line a day journals? It may give her incentive to do something fun or noteable a day so that she has something to write in? I started one in April of this year (although I may be a week behind ;)) and it really is nice being able to read back through and because it's only a few lines a day it doesn't feel like a chore.
    nic2075 wrote: »
    Evening.

Fiesty- it's so hard going back for the first time. But I found it easier just doing it sooner rather than later. I felt worse when I waited 3 years before working with my 2nd. It was so much harder going back then. Just think of the money.

Welcome to all the newbies. Nice to see everyone.

Having a nice quiet Saturday night as I'm away at a dancing comp with my girls tomorrow. Early as usual.

I made KFC style chicken and king prawns tonight. It was lovely, but not sure all the effort was worth it and think I'd just buy it ready made next time lol. I just really fancied some crunchy prawns and wanted kfc batter.

I know some of you have fit bits. Can anyone tell me where to start? My DD(11) has asked for one for xmas, she is into dancing and fitness, so I thought it might be a good idea. But I dknt know anything about them.

Thank you lovely, I know you are all right, but my heart is ruling at them moment :( I'd love the KFC batter recipe if you have a link please?
    Afternoon everyone, 04624181 and PEPPAPIG and MANDCO, i am here thankyou for thinking of me, i just had a few days relaxing and time out before the kids came home from Jordan yesterday. I have had a real me me me week this week it has been fab and i have enjoyed every minute of it, although its lovely to have them back. Looked after Thumper this morning as DD2 did the local village fun run so had a lovely time grabbing cuddles as and when i could haha. My snow craft is all finished ready for Fridays piccie :D I opened DS christmas present and everything was all present and correct so i was well chuffed with that. I ordered his novelty lounge pants for christmas eve just need a t shirt to go with them and then that is another thing out of the way.

04624181 congratulations on the job my lovely i hope you enjoy it

PEPPAPIG good luck with chemo this week i hope it all goes smoothly, glad your Santa Paws project is coming along nicely, so glad you enjoyed the feelgood session i hope it was a nice boost for you

MURIE yes i have been baking again, baked a nice apple and caramel icing cake for the kids coming home and some brownies and shortbread

SAMMY_KAYE happy anniversary for tomorrow

MANDCO aww i hope Taz settles into school soon, it is a big jump for them when they are so little. Good Luck for the new job

FEISTY good luck with going back to work temporarily, im sure little my will get used to DH

ELLIEW8 i hope the laser surgery went ok

PRINCESSKITTY i hope you are feeling better now after your bug

MRSINVISIBLE the time for me hamper sounds fabulous what a lovely idea

NEWTHRIFT i hope the cakes all turned out well

Aww free I'm so glad you had a me week, I am sure it will do you the world of good! I bet the kids returned with some wonderful stories?

Thank you all for your advice and well wishes. I am telling my heart it is short term and I know that she may benefit from a bit of time apart from me and to bond with Daddy. I guess I'm actually getting the better end of the deal as I get to sit at a desk drinking tea all day whilst Daddy and Nanny run around after her.

We had our first studio order arrive Friday and they messed up the invoice :mad: We were supposed to get a £10 discount as a new customer and this was confirmed on the emailed invoice I got, but the goods invoice was showing as full price. I had to phone and finally got it sorted, but it was a bit frustrating, especially as the main gift we got is now in the argos 3for2! I'm debating wrapping it now or waiting. I know I should really wrap now as we already have 10 presents that need to be done, but I'm worried they will get torn as we don't have anywhere to store them at the moment! Do any of you store yours in the loft? I'm tempted but DH worries about damp?
    [/COLOR]
    2024 Challenges
    Live in the moment more and appreciate the small things
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Evening everyone,
    No real christmas prep done this weekend but i have ordered new 15 tog duvets from Argos and i'm being lazy and having them delivered tomorrow , After a particularly manic weekend at work i really don't want to set foot in a shop this week !
    Oh i forgot i did get one pressie a lovely pair of slippers from Celtic sheepskin for hubby.
  • freespirit66
    Options
    FEISTY i dont put anything like that in the loft for the simple reason i have had a rat up in the loft space 3 times in 17 years so i wouldnt chance anything getting chewed but i know of people who keep their presents in the loft until christmas eve and i have never heard of anything bad happening to them.
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just been going through my M&S orders and my John Lewis orders from the sales after last Christmas. I'd forgotten all the stuff that I bought but am going to have fun rediscovering them. They include lots of lovely throws from M&S and a lot of the Man in the Moon range from John Lewis's range. I have 6 Man in the Moon mugs, all boxed up, lit canvases, jigsaws, activity books, make your own telescopes etc. etc.

I will enjoy giving them to family as pre Christmas gifts as I really don't need all that stuff. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not buying much at all this year and that has to include resisting the temptation of buying Christmas stuff in the sales after Christmas.

I am going to get my husband to go up to the loft at the end of November and bring down all my stuff (squirrelled away) and it is getting handed out at the beginning of December. My grandchildren loved the lit canvas Christmas pictures so they can have the pleasure from them for a few years to come.

I will be 65 this week and I think I am finally beginning to realise that I have a shopping problem, lol. But I know in my heart that I have everything I need, just in seeing the little ones enjoying Christmas.
  • Snorkypants
    Options
    Morning all, I'll catch up on all the posts later and reply properly (I haven't been on since Friday)but until then - I made something for the snow craft but don't know how to add a picture to my post? I tried searching but couldn't find instructions.

Thanks!
  • elliew8
    Options
    Morning all...I can see!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Thank you to everyone who wished me luck, I'm absolutely over the moon :D I have some scarring on my left eye so got to give it a while to fully settle down but it's still 20/20! My right eye is better than 20/20 apparently - didn't know that was possible! On a side note, I think my glasses have been masking my face quite a bit, got home on Saturday and looked at myself in the mirror thinking oh dear I really need to wear makeup lol
    Plus I need to book my follow up appointment in 3 months and realised it would be boxing day...did a little excited dance in my head :o
    Gwendolyn - I'd try the DIY crackers, let me know if you find any as I might give it a go too
    Sammy happy anniversary! you made me laugh about the Cajun spice :rotfl:
    Nic I'm the same, I basically lived in pjs and fluffly socks all weekend cos couldn't really go out
    Feisty, hope your job gets sorted and you end up with a nice practice
    Just ordered a new winter coat :o even though I have a perfectly lovely one, I've been eyeballing a burgundy one in New Look and they had 30% off for signing up to their newsletter so it would be rude not to really lol
    Hope everyone has a nice start to the week :)
    I'm dreaming... of a white Christmas :snow_grin :xmassmile:rudolf:
  • 8-of-us
    Options
    Hi guys.
    New to the (massive) thread. So will take me a while to read back and get to know everyone.
    Sealed Pot Challenge - #462
    I used the Thanks button as a Like button too :)
  • Snorkypants
    Snorkypants Posts: 123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 26 September 2016 at 1:17PM
    Options
    Right, hopefully that's a picture of my snow craft. If not I'll edit my post and paste the actual link in.

It's a little cross stitch that I did in January (using this free pattern http://creativeworkshopsfromhetti.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/blog-post.html) and then it just got ignored and dumped in the shoe box where my cross stitch stuff lives. The snow craft challenge prompted me to dig it out and actually make it into something.

I put a fabric covered back on it using this tutorial: https://claire93.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/easy-bookmark-tutorial/ . And added the tassel and a ribbon loop to hang it.

It's too big to go on the tree and I think it's the sort of thing that would look good hanging off a pine cupboard door if my house was more 'country'. As it is, it can hang off the living room door handle.

It was also lovely and cheap because it was totally made from scraps and leftovers from other things. It did take 3 hours though, blanket stitch is slow!

So, thank you for the challenge, I'd never have done anything with it otherwise!

snow%20craft_zpsmv7hehx1.jpg
  • Snorkypants
    Options
    Sorry the pic is so big, I wasn't expecting that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure