We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Peppa- no haven't done anything on the snow challenge yet. Lost my mojo a little. How did your feel good session go?

Free- any more baking?

GTQ- hugs, shingles is not very nice x

Chrissy- right off to tescos tomorrow to stock up on choc- I got an old fashioned sweetie type jar on a stand from home bargains the other day that I want to put a Christmassy lid on- the sweets will go in that.
    Newthrift- sounds like you are going to be busy baking!
    Ellie8- hope surgery has gone OK x

Newbies- WELCOME!! This is THE place to be for Christmas lovers!

Princesskitty- has Wiggle been less temperamental lately? Hope you are both feeling better x

Gwendolyn- I would definitely say go down the DIY route for crackers but they can work out expensive.
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon, it's getting chilly again. No way am I putting the heating on. But im dying to get into my jammies and fluffy socks, (and open the wine 🍷) but my DD wants to go to youth club, which doesn't finish til after 9pm :-( hoping one of the other parents who usually takes turns offers. I'm just always shattered on a Friday and look forward to relaxing, but can't as always need to take her there and pick her up. I spend 95% running them all to dance and guitar classes. So look forward to a night off.

DS has finally decided he wants a bike for xmas, so glad he chose something for outdoors. Usually it's a task to get him outside. DD got a good one last year, so it's his turn to get a decent one this year, his bmx is too small for him now.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Sammy most of my Christmas read are Trisha Ashley, Carole Matthews etc. I do like a nice easy feel good Christmas tale. Trisha's have a added bonus of some nice recipies in the back
    last year i read a book called the mistletoe bride and other haunting tales by Kate mosse, as I remember that was really good they were all spooky short had a proper look what's in this years stash I tend to pick books up at the carboot through the year any with festive titles get put away for the winter.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been sitting in my unfinished summerhouse today (no doors or windows in yet) but the sun was streaming in and I felt it was burning my feet! Anyway, the point is, my Wi-Fi seems to work fine down there so I was able to sit and browse Christmas sites. Felt a bit weird in the warm sun though. Mind you, it's chillier this evening so glad I made the most of it.
  • Clumsy42
    Options
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
  • mandco
    mandco Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gtq hope your feeling better soon
    peppa sounds like you've had a productive day try not to overdo it though
    04624181 congrats on the job shame your having a few issues with it fingers crossed it all works out
    Freespirit hope your ok

welcome to all the newbies

taz started big school and is hating it :( I'm hoping its just because its all new and he'll settle once he get used to it but he's so tired and miserable when he gets home
    Been having technical issue with my internet connection so the 3hr online course I had to take took me nearly 7 hours :mad: I was losing the will to live at one point but on the plus side I got the job and start next week :D only problem is its not the hours I interviewed for. They've actually given me more hours & responsibility but it means working 5 shorter days instead of 3 evenings so I get no free time while the kids are at school and its going to be a nightmare during the school holidays :undecided
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    MURIE the feel good session was fab. There were nine of us and three make up experts and we all got a splendid goody bag of skincare and makeup (Estee Lauder, Clinique, YSL, etc.) and they took us through twelve steps from cleansing to fully made up and we all did ourselves but they helped us out as we needed it. Was a lovely bit of relaxed time and the make up worked out well. I did it at home today and was pleased how it went.ntrouble is I have to thoroughly cleanse before bed tonight to get it all off!

GWENDOLYN, it's a little project I'm doing in our village to support our local animal rescue centres. Basically asking people to fill a shoebox with food/gifts for animals in rescue this Christmas and they can drop it off to me and I'll make sure it gets delivered to the rescue centres in time for Christmas. SAMMYKAYE I've designed the posters and DD's boss has said she can print them out and laminate them for me and I've done letters for all the people in my street. Our village magazine is going to include it in the community events too and I'm just sorting out where the posters will go.nim aiming to get them out mid to late October. I don't want to do it too early because I think people will forget.

Off to bed now just popped in to say I collected my 'make your own bath bomb' kits from Holland and Barrett today and they're much bigger than I expected- really good value and in a lovely reusable kilner style jar. Thanks again for the heads up TREASURE-QUEEN. The lip balm kits and bath bombs were good too.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • FeistyFidget
    Options
    elliew8 wrote: »
    Morning all :D
    We're down to 93 days to go now, 13 weeks left on Sunday :eek:
    Welcome newbies...we're all slightly Christmas crazy here :)
    I popped into Superdrug this morning and they have a small Christmas confectionery section too...I got all stupidly excited :o
    Thank you Newthrift and Feisty, I really enjoyed the karting yesterday, I was in the top half of the group! Whilst the feminist in me didn't want to accept it - I got a medal for being the top girl too :D
    PrincessKitty I think if I'd have been like James May I wouldn't ache all over today! Unfortunately I get in a go kart and think I'm Mika Hakkinen lol the halloween plans sounds like they're coming along nicely
    Newthrift a cake and 50 cupcakes, how do you find the time?! I've rolled out all of the wintery yankee melts now - I find yankee candles quite expensive (even though they do last a long time) whereas the melts basically never end...although I'm sure at some point the smell will fade
    GettingThereQuickly - sorry to hear you've got shingles, I suppose the only plus is at least you have a diagnosis for it now, hope you can get it all sorted and recovered quickly :)
    Chrissy, I'd definitely count prawn pringles as a great success :p
    Sammy, hearing about your dogs did make me laugh lol and try not to dwell on the figure on the scales too much - I know at slimming world that's kind of the point! For me it's more about feeling more comfortable in my clothes
    Clumsy, well done on starting your Christmas shopping...I need to get cracking too really
    I've just been told that if you have a new £5 note starting with AA they are going for up to £800 on ebay! :eek: and I have one :D:D:D:D so if you have one don't spend it!
    Walked past Next this morning and they have a 50% off sale going on, not as big as their usual end of season sales but might be worth picking up some presents
    The dreaded laser eye surgery is tomorrow...I should be back to report how it's gone on Monday, wish me luck!

Good luck with the laser eye!!!!

Well just nipping back in to share whilst the monster is busy with breakfast. I've been offered 10 days work over 4 weeks (1 day, 4 days, 3 days, 2 days) starting from next Tuesday. I've been on maternity leave since early December last year and I wasn't supposed to go back to leave the house working (I have two businesses that can be run from home) until the new year. However we calculated that if I did these 10 days, I probably wouldn't have to go back to leave the house working until next summer! It's been very hard as although I know it's for the best, little Monster is a mummy's girl and being out of the house for that length of time is completely foreign to us both. She's also fed by me and we have no reserves stock piled, so I'm stressing over that too.
    The thing that swayed it was it's my old practice (who are lovely), it's only round the corner and they are so understanding with me needing to pump (or Daddy bring the monster to the car park for a quick top up :rotfl:) and if I waited until January I wouldn't get a say in which practice I went to work at, and it would probably be too far away to see the monster during the day. I am fully aware that I am very lucky to be in this position as most mummies don't get this luxury, but because it has happened 3 months early it's just made me a bit (or a lot!) hesitant.
    [/COLOR]
    2024 Challenges
    Live in the moment more and appreciate the small things
  • Gwendolyn
    Options
    Sammy - oh dear about lunch. I think Black Friday is 25 November. If I remember rightly, the sales start on the Friday and run through to "cyber Monday". It's the traditional post Thanksgiving sales from the US.

Murie - I think I might DIY some crackers. I have a kit left over from last year. But I'm not putting anything expensive inside. I need to think that bit through very carefully!

Nic - sounds like my life. I am glorified taxi driver for the children. Friday nights is the worst as scouts pick up is 9:30pm. We also have multiple activities on the same day. *sighs*

Mrs Moneypenny - love the idea of a book with recipies in the back - I have got to check those out.

Whitesatin - how lovely to have a summerhouse and glad the wifi works.

Clumsy - thank you. I am paperchase addict!

mandco - as working parent I really sympathise. There is no easy way of planning hours. I am still on 3 long days - though my eldest goes to secondary next year so that's all up for change. Hope things work out better than you think.

Peppa - that sounds a wonderful idea. Christmas is all about giving and to me, that means Charities too. When I have time I'll tell you about what we used to do for the old folks home.
    And I'm off to look at those bath bomb kits.

Going to a local agri show today. I was going to go now to get some early shopping in as I'm busy from 10 until early afternoon, and the best bargains go quickly, but I realised from my present list, there's nothing specific I'm after and I'm unlikely to find gifts there, so it would be money spent on me. So I'm being good and not going until later!
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Thanks for all of your good wishes, rash spreading nicely. It's amazing to look at our bodies , I know that the rash will only be on one side and there is some which is literally just to the left of my sternum, how did it know to stop there? :D Didn't sleep that well last night but wonder if it has more to do with the fact that I struggled to sort out living room yesterday for carpet fitters today, just having a coffee now before I finish.

Well done to those with new jobs, especially Feisty, you have had a difficult time this year, but the Daddy/Monster bonding on the days you are working will be amazing and Monster will realise that Daddy can do things with her as well.

Better go & finish room, have a good one everybody.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport