* It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Money mission, we have the same no one in the lounge till we all queue up ready with dad first then me an kids in age order, stocking are brought into our room first, we only have the lads at home now so have a 16 and 21 yo to make room for now with stocking which is quite amusing.

Ours always feel the stocking gifts and try to guess what they are before opening and have to have a new toothbrush from Santa in them.

Jingle all the way is our Christmas Eve film and we always go to the local church christingle service, even the kiss who've left home try and meet up with us there, then we walk to a local pub for a Christmas drink and walk home looking at the fairy lights - In younger times we played spot Santa who could sometimes be seen high in the sky as a red flashing light-obviously rudolphs nose (any other night of the year it's clearly a plane, but there's magic in the air that night)

Hope everyone is well
    I haven't done a lot of Christmas prep but did pick up some marvel toiletries while on holiday.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71152784#post71152784

just popping on to post the above thread link (as we cant post individual codes etc). The desk lamp is only £3 for prime members with the code that Tagatose gives in the thread. I thinks its a brill little light, mine was delivered yesterday and I placed a second order straight away. I think it makes nice little gift for a teenager, crafter or a hard to buy for male. Its USB charged and then can be cordless so can be moved around to where needed.

Anyway- hope everyone is OK take care x
    lovin' this site!
    :j
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Hope everyone is ok. We are busy helping my mum move house this week. One of my monsoon orders arrived yesterday, the dress is lovely but has a security tag on!! Telephoned online customer services they have reimbursed my delivery charge and are sending me a £15 voucher card. I have to go to the trafford centre to collect 2 orders on monday so will get the tag taken off instore. Has anybody had any experience with hats with headphones built in?
    am thinking of ordering one for ds stocking.
    Murie- if you get peckish whilst you are in bed you have pretty much got everything you need to make a midnight snack at the side of your bed (except ingredients) LOL
    Treasurequeen- what a lovely idea, do you have any pics to share for us. I bet they are lovely
    Vulpix-glad to hear MIL is ok and has received new meds, sounds like you are doing great with your christmas stash.
    moneymission201-Fantastic news that you have got more gifts than you thought but can still use them extra for birthday gifts. That is good gift buying. Hope your bit has eased.
    peppapig-Wow 24 charms to be soldered. What amazing gifts for your grandchildren though. How are you doing? Good luck on thursday at the bank.
    Feisty- Hi and welcome back. What a lovely gift you have given us by sharing a gorgeous picture of your little angel xx SHe is super cute. Fantastic way of building memories. You have all been through so much but I am glad to hear you are all together at home again. If hubbys hospital stay is on either special occasion you could always have the event early for just the 3 of you. Take pics etc and make the event special still. Just an idea xx Praying for you all xx our traditions are new pjs for all of us on christmas eve(matching if possible) we also try to have a themed christmas outfit. Last year it was reindeers, hubby and ds had reindeer tshirts and DD and I had reindeer dresses. year before it was father christmas themed outfits. It was so popular that my dad did it this year too. we read night before christmas every christmas eve, watch a christmas film all snuggled up on our 4 seater couch. We also do a new christmas bauble every year that has a special meaning. it can be a shape, a character. building memories. Even photo baubles are great.
    CHrissyg I laughed so much when I read your post about the dog. Bet you dont get any leaflets now lol
    Mrsmoneypenny- I absolutely love jingle all the way! we watched home alone on monday lol
    04624181 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Free- Hope you are doing ok xx How is the garden looking now? Sorry I forgot to add this to the previous post.... dont know what I did lol
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I promise I have not only just emerged from the depths of de-cluttering :rotfl: general life took over a bit and I’ve only just found time to come on here and catch up properly.

Peppa – The chair looks fantastic so far.

Princesskitty – Have you started de-cluttering? I’ve done downstairs pretty well and have a decent pile for the tip & charity shops. I didn’t get as far as my bedroom which I’m planning to do this week – or start this week :o

Free – Possibly a silly question but can I ask what a bullet journal is? (just seen your explanation to Peppa – I’ll look) Your sunrise picture looked lovely on insta. Sorry it was a bit hit & miss though.

GTQ – When my brain kicks in to gear I’ll think of some ideas :)

Chrissy – Not heard from them no, but funnily enough I thought about the three of them last night and wondered how they were doing & babyboo too.

Feisty – It’s so nice to hear from you and even though things may be tighter, time spent with DH and DD will be so much more worth it :) – Also she is so adorable!!

0462 – How annoying re the tag on monsoon delivery, glad they have given you something back and can get it off easily with you going near the shop soon.

Sorry I am sure I will of missed some things. I haven't started my craft yet, just need to order something from e*ay and then I will be able to start.
    Feeling very behind with Christmas presents this year, but I have been trying to stick to the budgets better than last so it is taking me a bit longer to search for things. Once August is out the way, we don't really have any other occassions to purchase for (other than cards) so I will be able to get cracked in properly again.
    We had a farewell & good luck party for my brother & SIL2B at the weekend. Was really nice the family together but sad that when we do it at Christmas he won't be there with us.
    I did my food shop online with A*da last week and even still getting my meat from the butchers it was cheaper than when I do Al*i, Sainsbugs and butchers so I am thinking of carrying on. Every saved penny helps :money:
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    http://productimages.drct2u.com/main_product/products/ub/ub765/ub765_snowglobe.jpg

just ordered this for DD from JD Williams £9 ,if we get to see the truck this year i will give it to her then if not she will get it at christmas.
  • Karrie1uk
    Options
    I have been sipping in and out over the months and love to hear what everyone is at but with a now one year old eek life is hectic.

Feisty we are trying to make traditions this year as well and I have seen so many of the wooden Christmas Eve boxes that I decided to go down that route but didn't want to pay the prices so decided to decorate my own box. However I ordered a plain wooden box but a larger size than you would normally see and by the time I'm finished it will probably work out the same price. So after paying all that money I have decided that I can't possibly use it just for Christmas Eve so I'm using it as a family advent box. So each day will be a new activity so some examples I have is go to library and get Christmas books, go for wintery walk, make Christmas cards (amazing the creations with just a handprint), decorate cookies (not sure this will work) treats and a movie (just a Netflix one), make a Christmas decoration (Pinterest toddlers crafts) go puddle jumping, go find the best best decorated house etc etc. I have printed these all out and mounted onto card. Trying to get away without always having to buy things to put into the box for example the puddle jumping I can just put the wellies he already has in the box with the activity card and some of the craft stuff will be recycled goods. Let's face it is an expensive time of the year and the activities will change the older they get but I wanted to add some family time in a hectic month which didn't cost the earth. There will be treats etc as on the first day as I am putting in Christmas bedding (which will be used over the coming years) and jammies and then will make up Christmas Eve bits and bobs. Oh I have make reindeer food as an activity. So thought I would share what I hope will be our family tradition.

I hope the rest of you are all keeping well and I look forward to reading all your Christmas build up stories xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am currently sat outside Morrisons like a little sado ! We have decided to start a program of independence training for DD , usually we go in then meet on a seat but we have upped the independence aspect and she has gone in with a little list of things she wants.
    I cant tell you how sick i feel right now !
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    dear Chrissy, just making the decision and going in to the shop alone is a big, big, big positive step on your DDs independence pathway. l understand tho. why you feel sick!! Big hugs from me to both of you.
    Karrie 1uk welcome, what a lovely idea to use the box for advent activities, l am sure as the years go on it will stay a wonderful family tradition.
    DGSs girlfriend stayed over last night, big deal, first time, she loved the idea of choosing her own room, and opted for DGS2s room, upstairs.
    Why do l feel now that l have to clarify that it was separate rooms? after all they are only 13, and more 'friends ' than anything else.
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    I am currently sat outside Morrisons like a little sado ! We have decided to start a program of independence training for DD , usually we go in then meet on a seat but we have upped the independence aspect and she has gone in with a little list of things she wants.
    I cant tell you how sick i feel right now !

Oh CHRISSYG sending you hugs, i hope DD does well and is proud of herself
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure