🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Options

Comments

• Megandoc
    Options
    Hi, I was one of the ones with a restricted meter and was unknowingly being charged a standing charge for each of my 2 meters. Bulb got in touch with me and said that they had been working with the Ombudsman to improve things and that they would be refunding me some money. Initially they refunded £24 to my account and told me that there was more to come. In July, after they had finalised arrangements re one standing charge for my 2 meters, they refunded an additional £60 to my account. I am really pleased with Bulb and cannot fault them for their customer service. 
  • UnclaimedEnergy
    Options
    Megandoc said:
    Hi, I was one of the ones with a restricted meter and was unknowingly being charged a standing charge for each of my 2 meters. Bulb got in touch with me and said that they had been working with the Ombudsman to improve things and that they would be refunding me some money. Initially they refunded £24 to my account and told me that there was more to come. In July, after they had finalised arrangements re one standing charge for my 2 meters, they refunded an additional £60 to my account. I am really pleased with Bulb and cannot fault them for their customer service. 
    Thanks for sharing :smile:

If you don't mind me asking a couple of questions about your experience.

1. Did they mention why they only partially refunded you to begin with and not do it all at once?
    2. How long did it take from yourself/Bulb realising the mistake and it finally being corrected with the full refund?
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bulbs take on it: https://bulb.co.uk/blog/update-from-bulb-improving-our-processes

Looks like most of these issues happened at least over 6 months ago and they've since reviewed what's happened and put things in place to try and avoid it in the future.

Still, there are many suppliers out there that haven't had to pay out for issues like this.
    And £1.76 million is quite the sum to find - I wonder if they have that  - could have a knock on effect.
    (I am with Bulb for electricity - no problems so far in about 2 years ) 
  • Megandoc
    Options
    Megandoc said:
    Thanks for sharing :smile:

If you don't mind me asking a couple of questions about your experience.

1. Did they mention why they only partially refunded you to begin with and not do it all at once?
    2. How long did it take from yourself/Bulb realising the mistake and it finally being corrected with the full refund?
    No, I don’t mind. Bulb initially said that they’d started discussions with the Ombudsman and they knew they would owe me money. I guess that the £24 was a good faith gesture. That payment to my account was made on May 28th, 2020. The second payment of £64 was after they’d finished their calculations and was paid into my Bulb account on 28th July, 2020. 
  • UnclaimedEnergy
    Options
    Patr100 said:
    Bulbs take on it: https://bulb.co.uk/blog/update-from-bulb-improving-our-processes

Looks like most of these issues happened at least over 6 months ago and they've since reviewed what's happened and put things in place to try and avoid it in the future.

Still, there are many suppliers out there that haven't had to pay out for issues like this.
    And £1.76 million is quite the sum to find - I wonder if they have that  - could have a knock on effect.
    (I am with Bulb for electricity - no problems so far in about 2 years ) 
    They'll be fine don't worry, their annual revenue is most likely over £1bn now so that's just spare change to them at this point.
    (Even after the massive losses from the latest financial accounts)
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Bulb Energy increases electricity prices for second time this year

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/14/bulb-energy-increases-electricity-prices

• PeteinSQ
    Options
    Bulb have been pretty excellent up to now but their latest price increase has pushed me away. We use a lot of electricity and will save £162, over a year by switching to Octopus. 
  • Darkslider
    Options
    What does everyone else think about their policy of increasing the DD to go into winter with substantial credit? As all our heating and hot water is via LPG I'm not anticipating a huge rise in electricity consumption from switching led lights on a few hours earlier, yet they want to increase our DD from £36 to £50 a month.

I like Bulb's ethos but if the Guardian is correct I'm not sure I fancy bankrolling their expansion plans into the US' tech company market, I'd much rather switch to Octopus.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,140 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 16 September 2020 at 8:46AM
    Options
    What does everyone else think about their policy of increasing the DD to go into winter with substantial credit? As all our heating and hot water is via LPG I'm not anticipating a huge rise in electricity consumption from switching led lights on a few hours earlier, yet they want to increase our DD from £36 to £50 a month.

Energy Companies tend to send out system generated emails suggesting changes in Monthly DD which do not appear to take into account credit balances, often if a customer contacts them they happy to revert back to original monthly figure

• UnclaimedEnergy
    Options
    DD changes from a lot of suppliers are more likely to reflect the companies cash-flow balance rather than consider each individual customer.

They unlikely looked at anyone's credit balance and just did a flat 40% increase on DD to help with their cash-flow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure