Flo's Debt Free Diary

Options

Comments

• reality_check
    Options
    I would approach your manager about the free counselling sessions - that's what it is there for. If he is a bit funny about it, go above him and worse still if he was to sack you, which I'm sure he couldn't because of that, you would have a good court case on your hands! I hope you feel better soon! What about your friend you done some work for before, would this be an option?! I think you can get jobs like virtual PA's, I may have made this up, but I'm sure you can xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would approach your manager about the free counselling sessions - that's what it is there for. If he is a bit funny about it, go above him and worse still if he was to sack you, which I'm sure he couldn't because of that, you would have a good court case on your hands! I hope you feel better soon! What about your friend you done some work for before, would this be an option?! I think you can get jobs like virtual PA's, I may have made this up, but I'm sure you can xx

Thank you for your suggestion and thoughts :D
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Florence_J
    Options
    I had to have my one month probation meeting with my manager today and it was probably the best thing that could have happened for me.

I don't want to make it seem that what I was feeling before wasn't real, because it certainly was, but I feel like a changed woman.

I was certain that my manager was going to lay into me, and maybe even tell me I was fired, for no more reason than I AM PARANOID!

Instead my manager was lovely, we had a good discussion and yes this job is more work than I have ever done before, it is more stressful then work I have done before, and it is busy, but I had probably my best day today. I really feel like I was a pressure cooker before building up and up with stress, and having a rational conversation where I didn't get fired or anything even close to that has released the tension.

Today was just one day. But it was a good day. I feel confident tomorrow will be ok. I want to work hard at this job. I will try and give it my all.

Thank you for all your help and support everyone. I think I need to take a long look in the mirror and work out what sort of work would suit me, but I think for the moment I will take it one day at a time, and I am not anxious about tomorrow.

I have nothing further to report. I will try and pop by tomorrow and let you know how day two of new enlightenment has gone :)
  • Florence_J
    Options
    I think it is clear I need some sort of counselling, and I will look into trying to make this a possibility.
  • Florence_J
    Options
    Hey everybody,

It is the eve of my best friend's wedding day tomorrow. It was also PAY DAY today, and if I am truthful I don't know which has made me happier.

On account of being in my new job for about 6 weeks now my pay today was bumped up, which means I could make an epic payment to OH and now I only(!) owe him £400.

I have a few expenses this month, which will stretch my £100 disposable income tightly, especially considering I'm going to A WEDDING TOMORROW!

OH has applied for a job that is part time, and I found out today I have been invited to interview for one of the jobs I applied for panic stricken in the last few weeks. I guess this is good news? I mean, it is, if I got it it would be a great opportunity for me with no travel costs and near £300 extra to throw at the debts each month, but it will be awkward leaving a new job. And I don't like being awkward.

Oh well.There are worst problems to have.
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Congrats on the job interview good luck to both of you xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,645 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If the new job involves less travel that is a good thing and there is nothing to be lost by going for an interview. Your mental health though is important so if you now feel your current job is going much better if you get the new job you have some thinking to do.

One thing I would say is even though I do not usually suffer from anxiety usually I have always hated the first month of so of a new job. It is horrible having to keep asking people about how things are done and I worry I am being a nuisance or not doing things right. It is great you have now had a performance review and can see you are actually doing ok. Don't be so hard on yourself. We were all new once.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ada-or-ardor
    ada-or-ardor Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Florence, I'm so glad to hear you had a good day and a good meeting. And congrats on both your interviews!

My thoughts would be, now you know your manager is supportive and happy with your work, it might be worth using that knowledge to get some time off for counselling. I've approached two companies about time off during the week for this reason and they've never been anything other than supportive. If you've found that person, it might be best to stick around and make the most of it, for the long term of your health.

I would still go to the interview though - it's always good to get out of your comfort zone!!

Congrats on the massive overpayment and have a great day at the wedding!!
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    All sounding good Flo :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Florence_J
    Options
    I just want to say that my best friend's wedding yesterday and it was one of the best days of my life, not year, life.

I was worried I was going to somehow ruin the wedding and of course I didn't.

It was absolutely brilliant.

I was on a real high....until I got back to my Dad's house and suddenly panicked because even though I wasn't really excessive at the wedding, I didn't really have the budget for much fun and the OH and I have had a few meals/take aways whilst being here and as a result I now have £36 disposable income with a lot to cover with that.

I have decided I am going to give YouGov a try and my friend highly recommends valued opinions so I am going to give my survey sites a try.

I am going to try and cover my upcoming father's day and friends birthday present expenses with amazon vouchers, I may have £20 in vouchers through shop and scan now so I will investigate what I can get them. That will cut my expenses a wee bit.

I am going to try and enjoy the time off work I have left. I have also decided that yesterday was so brilliant that f*** my anxiety, I'm going to let people in and celebrate things like my birthday and maybe even have a wedding with my boyfriend instead of running away from things.

Enjoy what remains of the bank holiday guys :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills