Avro Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stevepd wrote: »
    I switched a few months ago to Avro and it was painless. I’ve had no reason to contact them since. We get a monthly reminder to submit readings (which I have no problem doing). Nothing bad to say about them.
    Steve.
    If their MSE poll ratings are to be believed, this could be the situation for the vast majority of their customers, including me so far.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 December 2018 at 10:04AM
    Options
    Joined Avro in July. So far everything has been positive.

Account was set up with the minimum of fuss. The online interface is very simple and works well.

Submit meter readings regularly. They always show up on the account immediately. With previous suppliers the readings sometimes disappeared into the ether which caused problems.

Regular monthly bills are supplied using my meter readings. No silliness of attempting to incorrectly hike direct debits; a welcome change after the nonsense of EDF trying to increase my payment for spurious reasons every time I supplied a reading, and then me having to request that the direct debit increase was reversed, and then EDF ignoring that request. At the moment I'm £85 in credit and project that I'll go at most to £10 in debit by the end of Winter before starting to build up a credit again.

Avro contacted me by email once to say the backboard on my electricity meter was warped and needed replacement. I contacted the number they gave, got it repaired and then emailed Avro back to say I had done that, and got a swift email response from Avro to say thank you for telling them.

Not had to contact them by phone at any stage so can't comment on that. There have been messages on their website to say telephone lines are closed on some days due to staff training.

I've been with SSE, EDF, Npower, Scottish Power, British Gas and IRESA previously, and so far this has been the first trouble free experience I've had.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • Consumerist
    Options
    SnowMan wrote: »
    . . . At the moment I'm £85 in credit and project that I'll go at most to £10 in debit by the end of Winter before starting to build up a credit again. . .
    Thanks for sharing.

I'm about 3-months DDs in credit at the moment and this is likely to be the peak credit balance for this winter. I'm hoping to be just one month's DD in credit by the end of my contract, based on an average winter, so not too much of a refund to wait for if/when I switch in spring.
  • markharding557
    Options
    Just changed over to Avro from OFTM:eek:, I had an issue setting up the account details which was quickly sorted out by one of the advisors on web chat.
    The first impressions are good!:)
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    My parents have been with Avro for just over a year and in terms of the switch and provision of the service it has been absolutely fine without any problems.

However, my father passed away in April (all the bills are in his name) and trying to get Avro to swap the name on the account over from my father to my mother has met with almost total indifference. None of the banking details need to change as the DD was set up from a joint account that remains open (solely in my mother's name now). The first email I sent (I'm the Executor of my father's will) back in June I think elicited a response that the details would be passed on to the appropriate team. Since then, nothing.

I have sent follow up emails, I have tried calling (I gave up with that having been in the queue for 20 minutes twice without managing to talk to anyone.

All I want them to do is swap the name on the account over to my mother so she doesn't have to get notices and bills in his name (which she finds upsetting).

Avro gets a huge thumbs down from me.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,607 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

However, my father passed away in April (all the bills are in his name) and trying to get Avro to swap the name on the account over from my father to my mother has met with almost total indifference. None of the banking details need to change as the DD was set up from a joint account that remains open (solely in my mother's name now). The first email I sent (I'm the Executor of my father's will) back in June I think elicited a response that the details would be passed on to the appropriate team. Since then, nothing.
    Be aware that when the account holder passes away, the account ends and is put onto the standard variable tariff for whoever takes it over - and that will be backdated to when they were informed the account holder was deceased.
    That was my experience (albeit with a different supplier) when my father passed away. Sympathies there, you've probably had a lot more important stuff to deal with.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• TrickyDicky101
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    Be aware that when the account holder passes away, the account ends and is put onto the standard variable tariff for whoever takes it over - and that will be backdated to when they were informed the account holder was deceased.
    That was my experience (albeit with a different supplier) when my father passed away. Sympathies there, you've probably had a lot more important stuff to deal with.

Thank you - I will bear that in mind (if I ever manage to get the account switched). It is so frustrating - it should be a simple piece of admin. You are correct that this was pretty much at the bottom of the pile of jobs to be done. I'm going to call again in the week and will be prepared to be on the line for as long as required this time...
  • Consumerist
    Options
    . . . The first email I sent (I'm the Executor of my father's will) back in June I think elicited a response that the details would be passed on to the appropriate team. Since then, nothing. . .
    An appalling situation, if you ask me. Clearly designed to keep you on their default tariff for as long as possible before you can switch.

If you notified them way back in June, you should start their formal complaints procedure and refer the matter to the Ombudsman. Since you first raised the matter so long ago, there is no reason why you should not refer it to the Ombudsman straight away; the eight weeks has long since passed.
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    An appalling situation, if you ask me. Clearly designed to keep you on their default tariff for as long as possible before you can switch.

If you notified them way back in June, you should start their formal complaints procedure and refer the matter to the Ombudsman. Since you first raised the matter so long ago, there is no reason why you should not refer it to the Ombudsman straight away; the eight weeks has long since passed.

Thank you very much - I hadn't realised there was such a thing as an energy ombudsman. I will do so now. Thank you very much again.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you very much - I hadn't realised there was such a thing as an energy ombudsman.. . .
    Their web site is at:

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

or you can phone them to discuss your issue and for guidance on:

0330 440 1624 (Mon - Fri)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback