Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda

Options

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    New dryer recieved today, after me contacting them on social media (Facebook and Twitter) they had booked me in for a a repair but I insistent insisted on a replacement, delivered today and old one taken away
  • Ben1941
    Options
    I contacted them after seeing on Watchdog that Indesit/Hotpoint were recalling their driers.

Mine is an Aquarius TCL770 Condensor drier. I've always made sure both the fluff filter and the water collection unit are emptied after each use. I also clean the condensor unit each month without fail by stripping it right down and cleaning it and reassembling it.

I heard nothing from Hotpoint for 3 weeks so contacted them on Twitter and Facebook. Within the week I'd been notified an engineer would call to see to my drier.

No offer of a replacement machine, they said it would just need 'adapting'.

The engineer took the outer casing off the machine and fiddled with something inside which he said would stop the fluff building up inside and prevent it catching fire. I hasten to add my drier is only used once a week during the winter and not at all during summer, and I bought it new in 2010.

I'm amazed that they are now offering new driers to people instead of 'adapting' them.

They must have changed their strategy.

The engineer did say my drier was one of the most clean machines he'd seen and that my safety regime of emptying and cleaning it after each use was the correct thing to do.

I'm not 100% sure, but I 'think' it's less noisy now, and also it doesn't tend to dry as well that's for sure. The clothes are still damp after using on the 'sensor' mode despite having been spun in a 1600 spin speed washing machine (which means they're practically dry after).

I've never had any problems with the drier since I've had it and it always dried the clothes really quickly and well until now. So I'm not happy with the 'adaptation' done by Hotpoint. But I suppose I'm lucky that they didn't take my drier away and leave me with a vented refurbished one.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Why would they have taken it away and replaced it with a refurbished vented one?

Didn't offer me a replacement I requested it, that was after they sent me an appointment date for modification for last Wednesday, I said I would still be concerned about the safety, they cancelled the engineer and instead booked a replacement, came today, a brand new up to date version of my condenser dryer
  • Ben1941
    Options
    One or two posters in this thread said they were offered refurbished vented machines hence my last paragraph.

They didn't offer me a replacement at all. I did say when I first rang them on 23rd would the machine be replaced and was told no, an engineer would call to carry out an adaptation.

I would have loved a new machine
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Very poor customer service that different people are being told different things, some being charged for replacements some not, have to say no hassle whatsoever from them other than being told it would take longer for replacement rather than repair, as it happened it was only a week
  • FlyingKat
    Options
    I really like the Whirlpool AZB8570 my friend got as a replacement, it is a smart looking machine and she says it dry's clothes faster than the Hotpoint they took away.

I agree it is unfair to not treat all customers the same. I think the reason they are offering cheap dryers to some people is because they are so overwhelmed with all the modifications they have to do. I think last week I read 625,000 people had registered online.

I currently have the offer of a 7KG Vented Dryer for £59 and whilst I am tempted I do not feel it is fair to expect me to pay for something when I was sold a faulty product.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just had a complete overhaul of mine today, as well as the recall issue all major parts including the drum have been replaced, I'm perfectly happy as the dryer matches with the dishwasher and washing machine I most probably would of ended up with a mismatch.
  • FlyingKat
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    I've just had a complete overhaul of mine today, as well as the recall issue all major parts including the drum have been replaced, I'm perfectly happy as the dryer matches with the dishwasher and washing machine I most probably would of ended up with a mismatch.

I have a graphite washer and a graphite dryer, but I wouldn't care what colour a new dryer was if it was a freebie! Saying that my washer is about to give up the ghost, been pricing up new ones today!
  • fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    Ben1941 wrote: »
    One or two posters in this thread said they were offered refurbished vented machines hence my last paragraph.

They didn't offer me a replacement at all. I did say when I first rang them on 23rd would the machine be replaced and was told no, an engineer would call to carry out an adaptation.

Finally got a call to sort out my dryer. Only offer was of repair, replacement not even mentioned. They are due to come out next week.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • ahja
    ahja Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    I registered on 23 November. Today I got an email with a link to find out when the repair would be done and it's March! Unless of course I want to buy one. One choice of machine of either a vented or condenser type, vented £59, condenser £99, anyone else got this email?

Again, same old rubbish about first come, first served!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure